Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Introduces NS Micro Tuner

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default D'Addario Introduces NS Micro Tuner

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    D'Addario Introduces NS Micro Tuner

D'Addario and Planet Waves is proud to announce the launch of the new NS Micro Tuner, the next iteration in its family of clip-on, headstock tuners.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: D'Addario Introduces NS Micro Tuner

I had a Mini Tuner for a month before I gave it away. It was unresponsive and inaccurate in a noisy, jam environment. The snark is much better and i clip it on upside down so most can't see it. The best selling point for the mini is it's diminutive size. Too bad it's not a very good tuner.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Greg..that might have been the first generation of mini-tuners..I did the same thing, gave it a fair trial, then gave it away. This new one will get the same chance...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D C Blood View Post
    Greg..that might have been the first generation of mini-tuners..I did the same thing, gave it a fair trial, then gave it away. This new one will get the same chance...
    Yea, I'm not biting on this one unless I get a discount like a $20 gift certificate from Musician's Fiend.

Still too busy (because they can?). Maybe if they would simplify the tuner to be just a tuner. A440 only. ON/OFF switch as the only button. Less unused knobs and whistles, as far as my use goes. I don't remember the last time I used, needed, or felt the lack of metronome and other tuning modes on any tuner.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have the latest incarnation of the PWCT12 NS Mini on all my mandolins (three color, green/yellow/red). I've found it to be completely responsive, even in loud environments. I won't use anything else.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Blog Entries

I guess the benefit of owning your own music store, Ted, is you get to play with all the latest gear. What was your take on the previous model?

My experience with the original Mini tuner is positive, it works great.
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

I am very happy with the original Mini tuner. I have a blue, a red, and a black Snark, but keep returning to the mini.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the original one, too. This seems to track better, and having the 3rd color that lets you know you're getting close makes it more intuitive. I especially like how stealth it is. I leave them on my mandos permanently. Never have to look for a tuner now.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I like the original also. I bought a second one. They work fine for me even in noisy performance environments. I have used them on electric bass, mandolin and OM and gotten all good results. I leave them on all the time. Great product.

Only one problem: Now I want two of the new ones!!! No problems with the old ones, I just like the latest and greatest. Also, I think the "flip screen orientation" button may be useful.

Blog Entries

One of the original minis each for my mandolins, one for the daughter's uke, one for my wife's 1947 Martin D-18. Love them, work great. Looking forward to testing this one out.

Blog Entries

To those that like the original, you must not have been in noisy environments. Mine failed to lock on and read accurately when the Snark had no problems. I was in a loud jam, surrounded by banjers. The Mini just couldn't keep up. I love the stealth factor but it's gotta work as a tuner first before looking cool by not being seen Maybe Dietz Music could send me a "test" model?

I have used the Mini plenty in noisy environment--no problems.
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    To those that like the original, you must not have been in noisy environments.
    Glad to see you've been to all my gigs the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Still too busy (because they can?). Maybe if they would simplify the tuner to be just a tuner. A440 only. ON/OFF switch as the only button. Less unused knobs and whistles, as far as my use goes. I don't remember the last time I used, needed, or felt the lack of metronome and other tuning modes on any tuner.
    This one doesn't even have an ON/OFF switch

Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

17. The following members say thank you to Mike Floorstand for this post:

Not sure why anyone would leave a tuner on an instrument all the time.

I don't leave capos on when I'm not using them; I don't leave audio cords plugged in if I'm playing acoustically; why would I leave a tuner on if I'm not tuning?

You clip-on, tune, remove, and play.
    Dr H
    -----
    "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry." -- John Cage

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H View Post
    Not sure why anyone would leave a tuner on an instrument all the time..
    I have had my Mini on a varnished mandolin for a year and see no marks. Why not leave it on? I don't lose it, and its there when I need it.
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

Well if all you fine folk say it's the bee's knees then I'm glad to hear it.

I have one of the original minis that I bought about three months ago. When it works, I like it a lot, but it seems to eat batteries in about three days. I follow the directions, I turn it off every time, and still dead in three days....after four weeks of this, it sits in the unused obsolete electronics drawer..

One of the nice things about all of the recent tuners is that at the rate they keep shrinking, we'll likely be able to buy one that is just a featherweight thin adhesive strip in a couple of years. What I'd like most of all is a tuner that actually works, when you need it to work, and was built to military spec standards. I wanna be able to step on it, have it fall on the ground, cold weather, hot weather, waterproof , and all the rest of the day to day use that I put them through. All of the tuners I find seem to have the number one concern of a cheap price rather than a working tool; $20 each three or four times a year is no bargain. Do any of the people who design these things actually hang out with real musicians who drink and smoke and yell and laugh from deep down inside and generally ruckus about playing music all night long like all of my friends and customers do? We're not exactly a delicate crowd...

j.
    http://condino.com
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jul-11-2013 at 5:23pm. Reason: you need to add http:// to your web link in order for it to work properly.

I had heard that there was a new Micro Mini in the works, and am glad to see it is here and that it looks even better than the original.

I have had the original for more than a year. It sits permanently in place just north of the nut and behind the headstock where it is not unseemly, doesn't spoil the look of the instrument, is away from threatening the maker's logo (and from the threat of being broken against another player's instrument) - and doesn't even need removed when the instrument goes in a case. The placement of this tuner is the main key to its appeal. I'm pleased to see that the clip mechanism has had some attention, and impressed that a metronome function is now included.

I live in north Thailand, so finding a dealer who stocks them might be an issue, but I can foresee one or two of these new tuners in my near future - and even more time spent in a drawer for my now redundant IMT and Snark tuners.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H View Post
    Not sure why anyone would leave a tuner on an instrument all the time.

I don't leave capos on when I'm not using them; I don't leave audio cords plugged in if I'm playing acoustically; why would I leave a tuner on if I'm not tuning?

You clip-on, tune, remove, and play.
    Actually DH, I think you mean you do that. With the original Mini, the need to remove is no longer there. No need to protect the proud lines of the headstock, no need to protect the headstock logo, no need to worry about your tuner hitting another person's instrument or snagging on another player's sleeve. No need even to remove when the mandolin goes in the case. Apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    I have one of the original minis that I bought about three months ago. When it works, I like it a lot, but it seems to eat batteries in about three days...

...What I'd like most of all is a tuner that actually works, when you need it to work, and was built to military spec standards.
    I wonder if your mini isn't defective. I have rehearsed and performed weekly with mine for most of two years and I am just about to put the third new battery in it.

I get what you're saying about military spec standards, but having worked in military procurement, I have to say that if a tuner were really MIL-SPEC, it would cost hundred of dollars. Remember the famous $400 hammer?

or could grandcanyonminstrel have gotten a bad batch of batteries? My batteries seem to last just fine too.
    Russ Jordan

Blog Entries

I don't expect a lot of Quality Control in $20 tuners. That being said, I have had no issues with battery life on my mini. I prefer it in a load jam. I have it sitting right behind the nut and it seems to isolate my mandolin better than one sitting out at the top of the headstock.