Thread: Songwriters

Default Songwriters

Is there anyone out there who writes most of their own songs to sing ? Is there any tricks to it?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Songwriters

All ...no .. some .. yes.... tricks..... no... discpline.. yes ... write everyday .... edit your work .... believe in your music and others will too... listen to your favorite songwriters.... what are they doing that you are not, writing style wise and musically..... don't give up .....
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Astrovegas 

Yeah, that's about it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Astrohank 

For me writing songs comes hard, hard, hard. Then occasional easy as pie--just jumping to get out. Then back to the usual hard, hard, hard.

Words are easier than the music, except when they're not. As an occasional songwriter, I've written maybe 2 good songs in 35 years. I just do it when I have to ... and I try not to do it. Its often agonizing and never quite right. There are so many good songs out there. Then there are times when you just have to.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

Writing songs (and recording them) is my main hobby. Guitar and (now) mandolin I learned to support my hobby

Everyone seems to appoach it differently so try different appraches to see what works best

I start with melody. Every chord progression has seemingly endless melody possibilities. Learn to craft a simple melody that is unique for a given progression and that appeals to your style

Have something you want to say. You can make it up but it helps to 'feel' it yourself if you want others to care

Once you have the framework of a simple song refine it. Refine it some more.

Between commutes to work, mowing, idle time at work, etc, I'm 'writing' a couple hours each day. I only work on paper when song is complete and the lyrics need final tweaking.

I'm new to mando for a month now. The melodys and rhythms I hear in my head are quite different from guitar so I'm excited to get better and see what they become

Good luck with it. The trick to it is time, patience and a 'want to'.

I suck at it. First, music was always a language I used to express what words cannot. So I can write a melody or chord progressions fairly easily, but I get stuck with the words.

It helps me to picture a story: what do I want to say, who do I want to say it to. Then I start by making an outline. From there I'll pull some flowery stuff; similies, metaphors and the like. Always sounds like crap in the end to me.

I always think of El Paso, by Marty Robbins. Was he stuck when he got to the line:
    "I caught a good one, it looked like he could run."

I could never write like that, it sounds so trite and meaningless to me, yet it is pure magic in the song. It conveys the sense of urgency and selection process with a very memorable phrase.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

I write religiously and pitch non-stop . I ALWAYS start with what I consider a solid , hooky title and the lyrics are all done before I even pick up an instrument most times. In fact , the lyric will tell me how the melody is supposed to go .There's no 'trick' . Its imagination , inspiration , perspiration and CRAFT, CRAFT CRAFT . Did I mention CRAFT ? It's gotta be a labour of love ....or its just a labour and most of us don't need any more labour , I'm guessing . Anybody can write a song . But only seriously hard work results in a good or even GREAT song . May the force be with you .....

Lyrics first, music first, both at once... everybody does it differently. Stephin Merritt claimed that when he was writing '69 Love Songs' he set out to write three songs per day, which is pretty good exercise if you've got the time. I think it's probably better to have written three mediocre songs than to have one that you're really attached but can't finish because you're afraid of messing it up.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not so much anymore, but I used to write A LOT. Primary songwriter for my band when I was playing full time. I'd find myself getting ideas and one liners hitting me at odd times throughout the day. I kept a spiral notebook within arms reach pretty much at all times.That way, when something pops into your head, and you think "That's great, I've gotta remember that", you just jot it down If ya don't, it'll get lost, and you'll kick yourself cause you can't remember it. Pretty soon, you've got this journal of ideas you can go back thru and try to make something out of the ones that still hit you.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

I spose because I have such a love affair with my fiddle, I can compose at will, but unless a melody somehow sings itself, i'm not much on lyric.

I understand the creative juices thing, but I also understand the commercial aspect. For instance Jerry Seinfeld never works Blue. He says it's too easy. So the commercial song equivalent would be, to not write a heart ripper, or a hell yeah, pickup truck, beer drinking song. Now im thinking, it's easy to type this on a full stomach, in a nice warm place.
    How do you write, or how would I write? You gotta be the guy that's made out of music. That guy can't help himself. He would be asking, how can I stop?

BTW - "made out of music" was Tim Obrien's description of John Hartford.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...e#.UdQwDI4YTlA

Here's a bunch of opinions on songwriting.

14. The following members say thank you to Earl Gamage for this post:

hank 

Just putting in a word (as a writer, not a songwriter) for the idea of a collaboration with someone who has what you need -- if you're a music guy, someone who does words. and vice versa. There's no law that says you have to write everything yourself. my thought.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

16. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    . . . Have something you want to say.
    This is the most important piece of advice here. If you have to force it, forget about it. At least that's been my experience.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Blog Entries

The best songs are very personal. A communication from one to one. When I hear a great song I feel as if it is for me.

Sit down and write a letter to someone (real or imaginary). That's a start. The rest is just mechanics and practice. Having a written message you want to say, that's the hard part.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: