Thread: Breedlove FF Arcadia vs. Weber Gallatin F

Default Breedlove FF Arcadia vs. Weber Gallatin F

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking at a new Breedlove FF Arcadia priced at $2499 and a 2008 Weber Gallatin at $1700. Any opinions on which one is a better deal, or a better instrument, or a better choice? Which would you go for?

Default Re: Breedlove FF Arcadia vs. Weber Gallatin F

Depends on what you are looking for. The Arcadia is a nice instrument but you are paying a lot more for cosmetic appointments that really don't make it play sny better as opposed to a plainer BL American series for 1700. You are comparing a gussied up instrument to a plain Jane Gallatin. They would feel quite different to play if that is important to you. Both have radius boards. The nut on the BL is wider. The neck profile on the BL is thicker. The Weber has more of a narrow V profile. Both are fine instruments but would play and sound different. I highly recommend that you try both if possible before drciding. The BL would be spruce over msple. The Gallatins used to havr mahogany back and sides. This makes a noticable difference on tone. I am not sure what year they switched to maple but this is something to check.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Default Re: Breedlove FF Arcadia vs. Weber Gallatin F

I'm pretty sure that Weber switched the Gallatins' standard back and sides to maple in 2006 --- 2007 at the latest. So, both instruments should be spruce tops over maple. I've played Breedlove Quartz FF's, but not the Arcadia, and they sure look the same, except for the appointments. Maybe Breedlove uses higher grade woods for the Arcadias, but you'd have to research that. The Arcadias also come with an internal pickup, which may or may not be an advantage to you.

That said, the Gallatins have a very different tone, which I like better than the Breedloves. As multidon mentioned, you really should try to play both if you can.

Which one is the better deal? That Arcadia would have to blow the Gallatin out of the water to be worth nearly 50% more. Also, remember that the Arcadia is going to drop a few hundred bucks in value as soon as you walk out the door with it, whereas the Gallatin has already depreciated by 25%.

Which one is the better instrument? Better-built: I'd guess the Gallatin, but not by much. Better-looking: You could fill a couple columns of this thread with people arguing over that one. I don't mind the Breedlove's hook in place of the scroll, but many people can't stand it. Yes, the Gallatin is the plain-Jane model of the Weber line, but it's a very nicely and carefully finished instrument. Better-sounding: that's really a matter of taste.

Which one would I go for: if you are ready to spend $2,500 for a mandolin, and you are set on either a Breedlove or a Weber, I would keep my eye out for a used Bitterroot, which usually show up for less than that amount on the Cafe classifieds. I also would suggest playing an Arcadia side-by-side (if possible) with a new American FF, to see whether the added cost is getting you a better mandolin, or just a prettier one with an internal pick-up.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories