Thread: Recent classicals

Default Recent classicals

Here are some photos of some recently completed classical mandolins. These are short scale - 13.1", similar to Neapolitans. One has an Engelmann top with Bigleaf maple b/s/n. Triim, headplates, pickguard, and binding is koa, with ebony fbd and bridge. The other mandolin has a Western red cedar top, with Claro walnut b/s/n. Headplate, fbd, bridge, and pickguard are Macassar ebony. Finish is lacquer on both.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nobleclas063013side.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	104019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nobleclasfront063013.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	104018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearlsteinclasside063013.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	104020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearlsteinclasfront063013.JPG 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	104021

These are off to their owners tomorrow.

http://www.Cohenmando.com

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave Cohen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Recent classicals

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cohen View Post
    Here are some photos of some recently completed classical mandolins. These are short scale - 13.1", similar to Neapolitans. One has an Engelmann top with Bigleaf maple b/s/n. Triim, headplates, pickguard, and binding is koa, with ebony fbd and bridge. The other mandolin has a Western red cedar top, with Claro walnut b/s/n. Headplate, fbd, bridge, and pickguard are Macassar ebony. Finish is lacquer on both.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nobleclas063013side.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	104019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nobleclasfront063013.JPG 
Views:	305 
ID:	104018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearlsteinclasside063013.JPG 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	104020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearlsteinclasfront063013.JPG 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	104021

These are off to their owners tomorrow.

Beautiful! Works of art. I would like to see more photos. Thanks for posting!

Might as well post some mandocello pictures here as well, since it is primarily a classical instrument. This is a "C#" mandocello, 24.9" scale length. Top is redwood, with Eastern black walnut b/s/n. Headplates, pickguard, and points are koa Tail inlay and truss rod cover are spalted maple. Headstock and 12th fret inlays are of white terns, done in white mop. Fbd and bridge are W. African ebony.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swindlecellofront063013.JPG 
Views:	205 
ID:	104024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swindleccelloback063013.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	104025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swindlecelloside063013.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	104026

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Cohen For This Useful Post:

Hi Dave,

Beautiful instruments -- as always!
    Will you be at CMSA this year in Regina?
    Robert A. Margo

Hi Bob:

I am planning on being at CMSA Regina, but not as a vendor. I'll try it this time as a player, maybe last chair, third mandolins section? It is just too expensive and too difficult to cross a border with a truck full of instruments. The last Montreal convention cost me an unexpected $150 at the border in duty. The Canadian Govt eventually returned that, but only after several months, and I almost could not convince my bank to deposit a check "from a foreign government".

Don't know if I can cut it or not as a player, but CMSA does seem pretty tolerant, so I'll give it a try.

Completely gorgeous Dave. I love how you have updated the classical era mojo without losing the aesthetic.

Can you comment on the sound differences between the Spruce and the Cedar. I would expect the cedar to be a bit sharper with a bit more punch?

"I am planning on being at CMSA Regina, but not as a vendor. I'll try it this time as a player, maybe last chair, third mandolins section? It is just too expensive and too difficult to cross a border with a truck full of instruments. The last Montreal convention cost me an unexpected $150 at the border in duty."

Didn't think of that -- well, glad you are coming as a player and looking forward to seeing you!
    Robert A. Margo

Sebastiaan56:

They sound pretty similar. The densities of both tops were very close to each other, ca 0.38g/cm3, or specific gravity 0.38. The tap tones and feel were also very similar. It is also hard to compare because the back/sides/neck woods were so different. The spruce-topped mandolin has bigleaf maple b/s/n of average density (ca 0.5 g/cm3), whereas the cedar-topped mandolin has Claro walnut b/s/n of rather high density (ca 0.6 g/cm3). Despite all that, the mandolins' sounds are very close to each other. Maybe a little "darker" for the cedar/walnut mandolin? Frankly, though, I don't trust my ears to be able to discern the nuanced difference between the two; they are very close.

http://ww.Cohenmando.com

11. The following members say thank you to Dave Cohen for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I knew there was some reason to visit you this week. . .

Just beautiful instruments! I mean they looked interesting when I saw them in construction, but as finished. . . Just great!

(still a big fan of the mandolin you built for me too!)

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I am also curious, Dr. Dave, how these differ in construction from your std oval holes. Did you change the bracing and the top carving to achieve a different tone?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Very lovely, indeed! Have fun playing at CMSA.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Jim, no changes in bracing. Changes in bracing account for only small differences in modal properties. Because of the different scale length, the bridge position is different. I move the soundhole toward the heel end of the body in order to keep it from being too close to the bridge. I want some plate area between the bridge and the soundhole, both for structural reasons and because of mode shapes. The end result is that the geometry of the whole plate is somewhat different, but the carving concept is very similar. Both bracing pattern and carving are simply adjusted to accomodate the differences in overall plate geometry. More important, extra attention was paid in both of the pictured mandolins to how the mass is distributed throughout the instrument.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Stunning instruments, Dave.
    Classical players will sit up and notice for sure!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

My ears tend to like the tonality of mandolins usually used for classical playing and I have liked many of your mandolins, Dave, so I look fwd to playing one of these someday.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1