Thread: David Benedict's Debut Album

Blog Entries

Default David Benedict's Debut Album

My name is David Benedict and I am currently completing a unique degree in mandolin music performance at Bryan College in Dayton, TN, and now I’m planning to record my first full-length CD!

I got the inspiration for this album after being invited to attend Mike Marshall's Acoustic Music Seminar in Savannah, GA this past April. While I was there, myself and 15 other select young string musicians got to work hands on with Mike Marshall, Julian Lage, Darol Anger, David Grisman, Jerry Douglas, and many more world class artists. It was the experience of a lifetime to say the least.

Now, I’m so excited to be recording some of my original progressive
    bluegrass tunes this September at a studio in Nashville with some other
    phenomenal musicians. Here's one of my tunes that will be on the album:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiv81-rJZJ8 Also, Grammy-nominated
    mandolinist, Matt Flinner, has joined us as our producer for the CD.

I recently started a 30-day, online Kickstarter campaign to try and raise
    support and awareness for the album. You can check out the site here:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...m?ref=activity The catch with Kickstarter is that if I don’t reach my $10,000 goal within 30 days, I won’t get any of the money, no one will be charged for their donations, and I won’t be able to make the album.

That being said, I would be so grateful if you would help me make this CD a reality by pledging for my Kickstarter campaign. Any amount will help promote the project, and I'd like to give you something in return for partnering with me. However, even more importantly, I would appreciate your help to spread the word about this project to people outside my circles of influence. You would be assisting me so much if you would share this fundraiser with your friends and contacts through social media like Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Email and other forms of communication. The more awareness we can raise for the project, the easier it will be to promote and market the album when it is finished.

Thank you! I couldn't do this without your help. If you have any questions about the Kickstarter campaign or the album, please let me know.

2. The following members say thank you to dbmandolin for this post:

Default Re: David Benedict's Debut Album

Good luck to you David. I'm looking forward to that CD.

I enjoyed your youtube videos, and liked your original tune. That being said, I had a few general comments and questions regarding your Kickstarter request, since I noticed that you have had quite a few views, but only one response. Perhaps had you outlined your recording project with more specific information; other than Matt Flinner's involvement, few details were given.
    For Example, how many tunes are you planning to recording, and are you planning on having some "A" list musicians involved, and how many, and maybe more importantly, why? As I watched the video of "Paperclip Reel," my thought was how good it sounded, and I wondered whether it would benefit with 3 or 4 other instruments in the mix. There might be some benefit in having some "names" on the CD, but that is so often the case that I wonder whether that has any value any more, and whether the additional cost would be worth it. What are you getting for your Kickstarter goal? Or could you get something equally as good for a lot less? Those were things that crossed my mind, and likely, others were thinking similarly.

Blog Entries

Hi Rroyd! Thanks so much for checking out my videos and my Kickstarter page. I appreciate your questions so much, and you're right to ask them! The reason that I was unspecific on the Kickstarter page, is that things are subject to change with a creative project like this one. I didn't include the names of the musicians or number of tunes because I don't want my contributors to feel cheated or put off if these details are altered from my original plans.

Thank you for your encouraging words about my tunes! I owe a lot to the The Kellys' Productions and TK King who produced those videos. To answer your question, I thought about doing the project just by myself, but after some consideration I decided against it for these three reasons: First off, I know that when I play with musicians that are better than me, I am pushed to play better and try new things myself. I really want this album to be as best as it possibly can be, and I believe that having fantastic musicians on the project will help me accomplish this goal. Second, I am a gregarious musician--the thing I like most about music is playing and interacting with other musicians. That being said, I would prefer my CD be a creative representation of my relationship and interaction with others, rather than just a representation of myself. And thirdly, like you mentioned, playing with better known musicians allows for better promotion and recognition for my work. Hopefully, it also will help open future job opportunities with the musicians I work with. Even though it will cost more to hire musicians to record, I believe that these benefits outweigh the money saved.

As for the tunes, I'm hoping to record 10 or 11 original tunes (The amount of money we can raise will affect the number of tunes we will be able to record). I didn't include the other tunes on the site because I don't have very good quality recordings of most of tunes. Also, I would like most of the material on the album to be fresh and exciting to the listener when they pick up my CD for the first time. Almost as if they are hearing a story--a story that they've never heard completely before.

$10,000 sounds like a lot of money, I know. But in comparison to the budgets of many other professional album productions, 10,000 isn't that much. I've spent a lot of time planning out a budget for this project, and 10,000 really is the minimum for what I would like to accomplish. This money will help pay for: the musicians fees, their travel expenses, producer fees, studio engineer fees, editing and mastering fees, production and publishing expenses, and promoting expenses. I hope to enter music as a profession, and I want to do a professional job with this album. That's why I'm asking those around me to graciously support this project to enable me to do the best job that I can. I'd be so grateful for your support and partnership as I take on this endeavor.

Let me know if I there's anything else I can answer for you. Thanks!

As I read your additional comments, my first thought is that your approach is the opposite to ones taken by many up and coming young artists with successful recording projects, in that they work their way into an established group, get some notice, and then bring out a solo project. The attention they have garnered as a sideman with XXX, and the subsequent opportunity that brings, seems to afford greater success to their projects than one that features someone no one has ever heard of or seen, but includes some "name players" in the credits on the liner notes. I mention this because so many reviews I read from projects by unknown performers list the "A" team as part of the supporting cast, but unless there is some connection for me, I pass on it. If they are playing in an established group, or have in the past, or I have heard or seen them somewhere so that they are a known commodity, then I feel that I am not buying a pig in a poke when I order the CD. I know that I may be passing up some real gems, but I also know (by experience) that there are some real clunkers out there, and that anyone with the dollars can buy the "names", and often that is the only positive thing the project has going for it. The potential of the internet to garner more attention to your talents might be a way to establish a following and a reputation that could make your project more successful. (Justin Bieber comes to mind, but he couldn't carry your mandolin case in the talent department.) Anyway, I wish you well, and would like to see your considerable talents showcased in such a way that it would receive the attention it deserves.

sounds great - nice work on both instruments

are you touring ?

Blog Entries

Thanks for your comment, Rroyd. I really appreciate your input.

I think you're right. I am definitely following a different path from a lot of young players these days. If I had the privilege of previously becoming established with a group of other well known musicians, I probably would take that route. Unfortunately, I haven't had that opportunity, and I'm left to hope that this solo CD project will open up the doors to get to that point. Right now, I'll just have to do the best I can with the resources I have (which I think won't be too much of a disappointment).

And like I was saying before, I want to play with good musicians not just to gain recognition, but mostly for the experience. When the album is finished and i get to listen to it, I want to be able to smile at the memory of recording the music--how exciting it was to interact with and feed off the other musicians around me. And ultimately, my heart isn't set on a huge commercial success for this CD. I just want to make good music. And that is a goal for which I'm willing to work my hardest.

Thanks!

Come on guys, he only needs a few more bucks (NFI).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...m?ref=activity

10. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Done!
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dèan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

I met David at Swannanoa last year. He's got a bright future. I just made my pledge.....
    Lynn

13. The following members say thank you to Lynn Dudenbostel for this post:

Blog Entries

Thank you all so much for your support! Things are really coming together thanks to your help. We're almost there!

Congratulations on reaching the goal!

p.s. There's still time to donate...

Blog Entries

We did it!!!! Our Kickstarter Campaign ended successfully last night! Thanks to all who supported and promoted the project, we were able to raise $10,835 for the album! We are so grateful to all of you, and now we are excited about what lies ahead for the CD. Stay tuned for updates as the project progresses.

Blog Entries

Hey everyone! The album is finished and set for official release on March 11th. I'm so pleased with how everything came together, and I am thankful for all of your support and interest in the project.

Check out this video of my recording session this past fall featuring a full-length cut from the album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nAzEmX31k

Also, you can preorder the CD at my bandcamp page here: http://davidbenedict.bandcamp.com/

I hope you all enjoy the music as much as I enjoyed making it!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbmandolin For This Useful Post:

Hey David! I'm very excited to listen to this!! Studio question for you. What mic were you using in the video? It look like the fiddle player was also using the same one.

Congrats!!! I wish you all the best and hope you make it down to the Charleston SC area!

dan

Hi David - If the general 'tone' of the CD is like the video of the recording session music,then i'll be purchasing for sure. A question - will your CD be available via other CD ordering sites ?. Only asking because i hold accounts with 'County Sales' & 'CD Baby',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Hey Dan! Thanks so much for your interest in the project. I'm not much of a tech savvy guy, but I believe the mics I used were from the Neumann Series 180. You can read about them here if you're interested: http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...80_description

Also, feel free to sign up for my mailing list on my website to hear about any upcoming shows near your area: http://davidbenedictmusic.com/ Thanks again Dan! Hope you enjoy the whole album once it's released.

Blog Entries

Hi Ivan! So glad you liked the tune on the video. The CD definitely maintains a similar tone all the way through, but we also venture into some different styles such as Celtic, hard-driving bluegrass, and more progressive new acoustic music. It was incredible to work with musicians who were so diverse in their talent and style.

Unfortunately, the CD will not be for sale on County Sales or CD Baby. Once the album is released on March 11th, the digital album will be for sale on Amazon and itunes. However, the only place to purchase a physical disc online is at my bandcamp page here: http://davidbenedict.bandcamp.com/

Thanks Ivan! Hope this helps.

Hi David - Many thanks. As soon as it's available as a CD 'proper',i'll be in touch. Just as a 'sort of' observation,both myself & a fellow Cafe member from Scotland,seem to get a John Reischman 'feel' in your playing.That's maybe why both of us like your playing style,JR's one of the best & my personal favourite re.his playing technique. Anyway,i hope that your CD sells as well as it should do. It's got some of the cleanest playing i've heard in a while.
    Purely for my info.,which model of Flatiron mandolin are you playing,& is that the mandolin that you use on all the tracks ?. I ask purely because i've never actually 'seen' a Flatiron mandolin over here in the UK,although there is one for sale in the UK in the Classified ads. The Flatiron mandolins have a high reputation on here,& in your hands i can certainly see why,
    Best wishes - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words, Ivan! John Reischman is definitely one of my many mandolin heroes, and I'm flattered that my playing reminds you of him.

I play a 2000 Flatiron Festival. It's got a Gibson Master Model sticker on the inside and I think it was made in the Nashville Gibson factory after they bought out Flatiron. I've had it for about four years and it has served me well. In my experience, it's hard to beat for the price.

Thanks again for your interest and encouragement!

Hi David - In your hands that mandolin sounds as good as any i've ever heard. It's not only 'hard to beat for the price' - just 'hard to beat'- period !. I think you'd need to try out a lot of other mandolins to find a 'better' one ie.one that has a 'more pleasing difference' if you get my meaning. Meanwhile, i eagerly await the CD release,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.