Thread: Things you practice away from your mandolin.

Default Things you practice away from your mandolin.

Hi All,

I'm currently spending a week away from my beloved mandolin on holiday in lovely Tenerife. I was going to bring my old mandolin to play but decided I'd just do lots of listening instead.

I brought my copy of "Mike Marshall's favourite Brazilian Choros" and the "Duets"/Choro Famoso album. I've been picking out the tunes that catch my ear and learning them so I can "internalise them better" following the music is great for this as it seems to provide me with a way of visualising the melody as well as having the Aural aspect.

Other than this I've also been trying to visualise the fretboard saying things like "8 fret A string" then answering with the note, from here I try and visualise "Down a minor 3rd" then "up a Fifth" etc just making it up as I go along.

Anyway, This probably seems like some people's idea of a nightmare whilst on "holiday" but it's just how I like to work

Anyone else have some interesting non physical methods of improving their mandolin playing?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Things you practice away from your mandolin.

I'm trying to learn notation, so I carry a bunch of home made flash cards with me. Trditional notation on one side, tab and letter name on the other. When ever I have some down time on my commute, I whip them out and practice. Obviously not as good as see the note, play the note, but they're easy to carry around and are helping me.

It's not entirely non-pysical, but it doesn't require a mandolin.

Great idea, I suppose you could then say "F top line of staff" "first fret high E string" then "eight fret A string" etc

Blog Entries

Exactly. And you can continue it up the neck. The same "A" on the notation is open 2nd string, 7th fret 3rd string and 14th fret 4th string (I think high to low).

Also, you can break up the cards however you want...learn one string at a atime....learn only the notes "in the spaces" first...heck you could even do it so you learn only the notes in a given key.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Things you practice away from your mandolin?

Restraint.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopete For This Useful Post:

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Sol-Feg (do re mi fa so etc.)

Ear training and theory all at the same time

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

I found an app that is like flashcards, Fret Surfer Mandolin. It plays a note and you answer what fret/string it is by clicking the correct position on the app. You can adjust the speed of the practice. No affilation.

I had a couple vacations since I got my mandolin, and it bugs me to be away from it. I try to keep my calluses firm by tapping my fingers on my thumbnail. I don't like to lose them! It only takes a few days and the finger tips get soft again (maybe that is just me).
    I think of the tune scores in my head, too. And, if no one is listening (or hubby doesn't mind), I sing my practice tunes and songs.
    Enjoy your holiday!
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

Thanks Cecily,

I think singing the tunes you are learning is one of the most important things ANYONE can do!

The banjo.