Thread: Lose latch on case fix?

Default Lose latch on case fix?

One of the latches on my case is lose. Right now I've got a peice of felt on the latch. It seems to doing the trick, however I would like a more permanet fix. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Default Re: Lose latch on case fix?

There are many types of latches. A picture would help.

Steve

We're anxious to help. Even a description would help. Can you describe the type of latch and what you mean by "loose"?

Here it is. Sorry for the delay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	103675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	103676  
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Other than replacing the latch I think your repair is pretty good.
    Jim Richmond

It looks as though the spring inside the latch is fine and that the latch opens and closes without a problem. I'm guessing that when the latch is closed the "hoop" part rattles around on the lid part of the latch, and that your felt fills the gap. Am I correct?

If that's the situation, then one way to get it to fit tighter would be to "shorten" the hoop part, so it is more snug when closed. You could possibly spread the hoop wider, which would shorten the length. Or alternatively, you could set the bottom legs of the hoop (where it's riveted to the cross shaft) on the edge of an anvil and then tap hard on the top of the hoop with a hammer. That could bend it a little shorter. I don't think it would take much of a change to snug things up.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Other than replacing the latch I think your repair is pretty good.
    I think I've also reached that conclusion. I could do more damage trying to fix it. It just rattles btw Loar. Sometimes you have ask the question before you really think about it.

You can bend the hoop. This is not easy though. If you have a vice, clamp the hoop in it and find something to use as a pry bar. Reshape the hoop as needed. If you are careful and pad the hoop, it will not mar it.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger