Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The moment we have all been waiting for!

Registered User calgary.fiddler's Avatar

Default The moment we have all been waiting for!

Chris Thile Has finally announced his Solo Bach CD! You can read all about it here:

https://www.facebook.com/PunchBrothers
    https://www.facebook.com/thewaronlight

https://thewaronlight.bandcamp.com

2003 Collings MF-5
    The Loar LH-600-VS
    Gold-Tone OB-250
    Martin 00-15M
    Eastman E20D

Default Re: The moment we have all been waiting for!

I saw Homer & Jethro once. This mandolin therapy isn't helping me get over it.

'04 Andersen A (for keeps)
    Amateur Gibson F copy (for travel)
    Santa Rosa student model A (for the neighbor kids)

Blog Entries

Available directly from artist here including autographed copies for first 500 bundled orders.

The email sent this afternoon:

You may have caught wind of this if you follow Chris Thile on Twitter or Facebook, but we're excited to now officially announce Chris's first recording of one of his favorite composers of all time, Johann Sebastian Bach. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1 will be released August 6th on Nonesuch and is currently available for pre-order!

Produced by Edgar Meyer and recorded/mixed by Richard King, Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1 comprises three works written for solo violin: Sonata No. 1 in G minor, Partita No. 1 in B minor, and Sonata No. 2 in A minor.

Here's a bit about the record in Thile's own words: “Bach was my first meaningful experience with—for lack of a better word—classical music. It was the second recording of Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations. Gould plays with the kind of rhythmic integrity that I had previously only associated with non-classical music: music with a groove, with a pocket, that made you move. Gould was playing that music like my heroes play fiddle tunes. It humanized the whole thing for me and the heavens opened up and Bach came down. I started devouring all the Bach I could get my hands on.”

“This record to me is not about this iconic violin music played on the mandolin—like, ‘Oh boy, what fun, he’s playing a weird instrument!’ It's about Bach being one of the greatest musicians of all time, the solo violin music being some of his best work, and the mandolin having the potential to cast it in a new and hopefully interesting light."

Pre-order Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1 today and you'll receive an instant download of Sonata No. 1 in G Minor: II. Fuga: Allegro (which you can listen to here--above--). We're also offering a special pre-order bundle featuring an exclusive print of the album art by Oliver Jeffers and the first 500 people to order the bundle will have their print signed by Chris.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thile-bach.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	103564

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Except that it's not quite. Won't be available til the beginning of August.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Wow. I've spent a few minutes already listening to the 5 recordings of this piece that I have on hand. More like Heifetz than Perlman? Anyway, a really exciting sound that immediately and successfully stakes his claim to 'Not a Novelty Recording'! Wonderful.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

I went ahead and ordered the music but I can't say I'm happy about $8.20 shipping. Maybe I'm missing something but it's a little steep. Anyone wanna enlighten me?
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg_tsam For This Useful Post:

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

Can't wait....already ordered.....the "free sample" of the G minor Fuga is one that I play...but as you might imagine...CT takes it at a pretty good clip, not easy at that speed......speaking of tempo....anyone want to imagine what the double.presto from the B minor Partita is going to sound like....hold on to your hats!

And yes....produced by Edgar...recorded by Richard King...and played by Thile is truly the "dream team".
    Collings MF

Quote Originally Posted by mandolino maximus View Post
    Alright, I'm not a big Thile fan--too many notes crammed into most available spaces to suit me--but I'm pretty impressed with this. It's as if his fluid complexity has found a vehicle that it really suits it. Beautiful!

Formerly "Porschefan" Stephen Porter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the music but I can't say I'm happy about $8.20 shipping. Maybe I'm missing something but it's a little steep. Anyone wanna enlighten me?
    I agree.

STP

There's a lot to digest even in that one movement - I don't agree with every choice he made, but he clearly put a lot of thought into each passage. I generally prefer a slightly more relaxed pace, but I think he really tailored this interpretation to his instrument and style, resulting in a very convincing version, even if there were things I would do differently.

While being in awe of his technique is nothing new, this may be one of his finest technical accomplishments yet. The absolute control he has of the instrument, even in the most complex three and four voice passages is nothing short of astonishing.

This is the perfect vehicle for Thile's technical ability. I have always loved to hear him play, although I have never been too crazy for his work in Bluegrass. What I am really going to like about this album, more than anything, is the ability to listen to just him without any crazy arrangements and without having to hear him sing!!! Just his amazing skill and a wonderful-sounding mandolin and nothing else.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Yes that it is very tasteful. And I am not a big Thile fan. I don't like his voice and despite his being an excellent player he often sounds too colourless to me. The Bach tune is a completely different kettle of fish.

The have released the documentary of "How to Grow a Band" on Netflix. I watched the first half hour and then needed to go do some work, but it's intriguing. I ordered the Bach CD. I have to say, he knows what he wants and he works to get there. He's got a lot of heart, and a lot of talent.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

16. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    I ordered the bundle and my UPS ground was $11.25. I guess the artwork will be packaged nicely. I think it's great that they made it very easy to donate to the tornado victims. There are buttons in their shopping cart on check out.

Looking forward to my listening to my instant download.

I just ordered the bundle also and thought the shipping was a little high, but if the artwork is in a frame for shipping, I understand, I imagine it can't be folded to fit or it may be rolled in a tube, both of which will be an extra shipping cost. That aside, I think Chris is another Bach type talent and personality. His skill on the mando is unmatched in my perception of what it takes to do what he is doing, its unbelievable basically. And I don't mind his singing, his voice is always right on the note, never flat, never sharp, and much better than alot of other singers who are famous for thier nasty sounding vocals...Chris is alot better singer than a whole lot of others out there. Overall I feel pretty lucky to be living in his time and able to witness his accomplishments and talent.

19. The following members say thank you to Timmando for this post:

hank 

I preordered just the CD and the shipping was nearly identical to the cost of the music. ($13 for the CD, $11.20 for the shipping). I buy so few CDs that I can justify it to myself (I've wanted a CD of Thile on Bach forever) but, jeez.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

I'll buy it at the concert in at the Barbican in November £63 including shipping was one option
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

Chris Thile does a nice job. Better than I thought it was going to be actually.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

That clip is pretty amazing stuff. I like Thile, and I love Bach, so this is an album I've been anticipating. The thing I like so much is that it's Bach not only being played on the mandolin, but on a "regular" mandolin. I enjoy "classical" on mandolin but can barely stand the "plinky" and often dull sound of a bowlback. I know it's the tradition but I just don't like the sound.

Unusual album art choice too. I would've went with something more timeless and less trendy, considering the music being played: say, a classy shot of Thile in a concert hall or something. But no one asked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    That clip is pretty amazing stuff. I like Thile, and I love Bach, so this is an album I've been anticipating. The thing I like so much is that it's Bach not only being played on the mandolin, but on a "regular" mandolin. I enjoy "classical" on mandolin but can barely stand the "plinky" and often dull sound of a bowlback. I know it's the tradition but I just don't like the sound.
    I'm with you. I also like that they didn't drench the recording in reverb like the violin performances that are available on CD.

The voicing movements in that Gm clip are amazing!

25. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

hank 

In the minority here, but I'm not thrilled with it. I think the performance is too fast and sounds mechanical at times, and other times like it's all about the technique (which he certainly has enviable quantities of), and like he's trying to be the Bach rockstar. He 'slashes' all the chords, and hardly leaves the music any chance to breathe. All I heard were dynamics ranging from forte to fortississimo, with no subtlety anywhere. Just because it's a fugue doesn't mean it's got to be played like a bat out of hell throughout. If this were a violin performance, it would be like one more senior recital piece, I think (still would have to give the guy an A just for his precision, though). And Bach on an F-5 mandolin has never been my choice of an ideal instrument match, either. It leaves me rather cold, for those reasons.

I suppose it's great that Thile brings Bach to certain audiences and people who wouldn't otherwise hear it at all. It makes me wonder what would happen if he recorded this again in 15 or 20 years, possibly with the insights of a bit more maturity.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

27. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

MLT 

The moment we've all been waiting for!.....I thought I was going to click on this thread and read all cafe members get a free bluechip pick and a set of strings or something.

I kind of agree about the tone, maybe using an oval or the like would of been better. To me solo performances sound fuller on them. At the same time its nice to hear something different on a F5 LL. Still, love him or not, the man sure can play. Thanks for sharing.

I am not sure it is fair to judge the sound or tone of this recording from a you tube upload. I'll reserve my review on the sound when the CD is in hand and on good speakers. Just my opinion.

30. The following members say thank you to coletrickle for this post:

hank 

I went ahead and ordered the bundle. I downloaded the MP3 onto my studio drive and listened through my Tannoy's and NS10's and I agree that the tone isn't what I am used to hearing when listening to classical mandolin. I then reminded myself this was Thile. Convention is not his style.

If I were a studied Classical Mandolinist, I would do my best to not dwell on this music being played the way I was used to it being played. That would be a serious bummer.

I appreciate his ambition to record these performances. I am open to his translation. I don't expect perfectly played classical mandolin. I expect perfection in the vein of Thile and his way of doing things... his own way.

I think the challenges of playing classical music keeps his brain working at his accelerated level. The challenges keep him from getting too bored. This probably won't last.

I don't expect him to ever become a "Classical Mandolinist".

I am hoping this is a merely a stage in the life of a prodigal soul and I really, really look forward to what is to come.

I think that there is a very reasonable chance that Thile will 'become' a 'classical' soloist and composer in later years. That's a VERY good gig at the upper reaches, and CT has spent time with the folks who occupy that rarified space. Hillary Hahn, Yo Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer. I'm not going to predict where the boy'll be in 30 years, but I don't see that anything can be ruled out.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos