Thread: Loar 400 vs 520 model

Default Loar 400 vs 520 model

Hello everyone. I am new to The Mandolin Cafe and a new mandolin owner in a couple weeks. First off, I would like to say how impressive this forum is. I have been on here for the last several weeks learning everything I can about mandolins and I am blown away by everyone's helpful suggestions and advice. I am 42 and have never played a musical instrument in my life but am determined to fill a dream i've had for the last 15 years. Learning to play a mandolin. Quick question. I am gonna either buy a properly set up loar lm400 or set up loar 520. I have learned they are basically the same except for the scroll work. Having the knowledge you guys have, which would you get. A huge problem I have is there are no mandolin stores anywhere close to me and I know no one who plays. I can't test before i buy. To date, all my knowledge is from the internet and mostly this website. It's all i got to go by! Thanks in advance for any suggestions and I look foward to being a regular member and getting to know you guys.

Default Re: Loar 400 vs 520 model

hey CR ..I'm fairly new at this mandolin thing also ( couple years ) and started late so take this for what it may be worth to you .One thing I've seen talked about over and over and over amongst members here is that your first mandolin WON'T be your last .. ( I've had three in that time ) I know very little from first hand experience about the instruments you are deliberating over except to say that , in general, The Loar has a good rep here at the Cafe . My humble opinion , however , would be to go with the less expensive model ( the 400 ) or , as I tell my first time guitar students ..RENT FIRST IF POSSIBLE . Once you determine your level of commitment to the instrument , you will develop other criteria and likely want to trade up/down/sideways. Your first instrument will either be a back-up , trade bait or an outright trade-in . I've seen too many guitar students invest in an instrument they don't appreciate at costs they didn't need to incur and lose interest in what they'd hoped would be a lifelong passion . Hopefully some other more experienced members will shed more light on the mandolins in question . Good luck , my friend

Welcome to the cafe. I've owned and played a few LM400 and thought they are really wonderful instruments (still kicking myself for letting the last one go). I've never played a LM520 before, but have also owned and played a few LM500 and LM600. I prefer the tone and playability of the LM400 to those other ones any day. In my opinion the LM400 is the best mandolin you can get for under $500. Good luck.

Oddly enough, the A-Style LM400 is the top of the line A model that corresponds with the top of the line LM700 F Style, where the 520 and 500 are budget bottom of the line models. No tone bars in the 400 and supposedly a more modern sound. F Styles are very appealing but in this instance I think the 400 will be a better instrument...
    Last edited by Perry Babasin; Jun-27-2013 at 3:26pm.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

I bought The Loar 220 as my first mandolin, and have been happy with it as my "learner". If I were you, I would get the 400 rather than the 520 as it is actually a grade higher on Loar's model scale than the 520. That is to say, unless you have a dying need for a scroll. Chances are you'll upgrade soon enough anyway. Most importantly, make sure you buy it from someplace that will do a great set up for you. Both The Mandolin Store and Folk Musician will do just that.

Good luck and have a blast.....Mike

cool I didn't know that about the 400 or the 520. I'm glad I bought my 520 though, since I already own an A-style breedlove. I bought the 520 because I like the sound contrast to the breedlove, and the comfort and playability is just wonderful, the Breedlove gave me high standards there, and I'm really glad that 520 lives up to it, and I'm willing to bet the 400 will too. But I got a high-quality a style to start, and I think that's the way to go. you just get more for your money with an a style.