Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why's everone unloading oval-holed mandolins?

Default Why's everone unloading oval-holed mandolins?

Look at all those great oval-holed mandolins in the classifieds. I LOVE the sound of a good oval. Why is there an apparent rush to get rid of those? No financial interest.

Default Re: Why's everone unloading oval-holed mandolins?

I've noticed it too. I think it's because the selling price of old oval-holes has gone up recently for some reason, so people are looking to cash in on theirs. I don't follow the market too terribly closely, but it seems they've gone up 20% to 50% in the last few months.

I catch and release, oval-hole, f-hole, CBOM, Banjo... it's a market-place.

Blog Entries

Seems like a lot of Nuggets amd Gils too.

Agree about the prices going up.

Lots of mandolins in general. I have noticed an amazing number of F4s in the vintage area. Must be the season.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

When you cut a blueberry muffin in half you will doubtless often see clumps of blueberries here and there. It often means absolutely nothing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I think the main thing is that oval-hole mandolins are again receiving a level of attention from players which they deserve.
    Mandolas are next in line... I better start making some new fixtures.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Not everyone is unloading their ovals...I love my ovals and I'm sticking with them! Never can tell when I'll add another, though
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    Why is there an apparent rush to get rid of those?
    Because they don't have F-Holes? I kid, I kid.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Duncan For This Useful Post:

Apparent Rush to get rid of.... based on what - the quality of the oval-holes? The quantity of the oval-holes? In relation to what? F-holes - there's more than a few, How about Oval F-style or Oval A-styles? By price-range? By manufacturer - more than one Gil is rare... Plenty of guitars - any arch-tops? Only one Arch-top banjo? Your selection criteria doesn't support your conclusion...

Whatever the reason, I'm glad for it having bought a Davy Stuart last week.

16. The following members say thank you to rgray for this post:

Blog Entries

I don't know if its just oval mandos,right now there is a handfull of vintage Ferns and a handfull of Loars for sale by certain dealers,,first time in years I've seen this many old 5's for sale and there is a handfull in private hands that are for sale,,people need cash is my thaught?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I catch and release.

Eddie, I'm not sure of your point, I just see a bunch of oval holed mandolins showing up in the classified suddenly. Yes there are some fine F-holed instruments for sale like the Appolon Loar and that Altman, but that wasn't my point.

20. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

I'm sorry, I failed to see your point. Unless it was to state that there are a lot of ads in the Classifieds...
    Unloading... In a Rush.... two things the Classifieds have never been accused of...

The reason I'm unloading mine is right there in the ad copy. It's with great reluctance.

Registered User CrocatoanPicker's Avatar

We just want the Curly Florentines !! ...

true, they are Double the price, and add no more Tone or sound or volume or whatever the terms are, but its the fact that they lend mystique.
    Buy a hand made one for around $4k and .... yes i know it's VERY expensive, (but the president calls us to soread the wealth around) and you know if you spend that much then Mandolin Cafè will have your soul.... and....
    Hey, you are sttanding at the Crossroads, right ?
    Ok... just checking.
    ... and also .... the neck will have Beautiful GRrreen vines running down it, with buffed frets and an Ebony Fretboard, with Warlock inlays. ...
    and of course the Body will be made of Bookmatched Walnut and to complete this Devil Scene the Hand Carved Top will be of Mahogany.... (You must understand, Sir ... these Dark Tones are necessary)....
    finished off with a Devil -May -Care distressed Finish.

The Case ? .... Crimson Bloodliner Velvet, with Leatherskin Brown Outter Cassing.

See if we can get a discount if we purchase 2...i also want one
    Last edited by CrocatoanPicker; Jun-18-2013 at 11:48pm. Reason: Too many typos

My F4 is in the classifieds. It's beautiful, I enjoy having it, but only bring it out a few days a month. I prefer the sound of F hole mandolins, and have an F5 that I love. I also have a Sorensen Sprite on order, and once I get that it's likely to get most of my attention. Although this seems like a ridiculous statement, I actually have too many instruments. There are guitar cases in every closet, mandolins under the bed, on the walls, on the furniture.... F5's, roundbacks, electrics... The F4 is special, as close to a Loar as I'll ever get. It deserves a home where it will be played and appreciated. If it is not sold, I'll just have to keep it. I've never sold a mandolin, if the f4 sells I'm sure I'll regret it later.

Registered User CrocatoanPicker's Avatar

John...

You have Successfully destroyed my thread, Man LoL
    You're deeper than My Question can Facilitate.

Why son't we just chill back and support some Old Rock-N-Roll .... ?
    Could You Imagine Chick Berry coming out in 1955 but playing super charged Mandolin ??

26. The following members say thank you to CrocatoanPicker for this post:

For every one I sell I buy 3....
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

28. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrocatoanPicker View Post
    We just want the Curly Florentines !! ...

true, they are Double the price, and add no more Tone or sound or volume or whatever the terms are, but its the fact that they lend mystique.
    Buy a hand made one for around $4k and .... yes i know it's VERY expensive, (but the president calls us to soread the wealth around) and you know if you spend that much then Mandolin Cafè will have your soul.... and....
    Hey, you are sttanding at the Crossroads, right ?
    Ok... just checking.
    ... and also .... the neck will have Beautiful GRrreen vines running down it, with buffed frets and an Ebony Fretboard, with Warlock inlays. ...
    and of course the Body will be made of Bookmatched Walnut and to complete this Devil Scene the Hand Carved Top will be of Mahogany.... (You must understand, Sir ... these Dark Tones are necessary)....
    finished off with a Devil -May -Care distressed Finish.

The Case ? .... Crimson Bloodliner Velvet, with Leatherskin Brown Outter Cassing.

See if we can get a discount if we purchase 2...i also want one
    Crocatoan,

In the story of Faust it clearly makes the metaphysical case that when you sell your soul to the Devil for love, the contract with the Devil is nul and void, since the Devil has no authority to offer love in his deals... so make that order for three!

I'm not sure there's any significance to the phenomenon of listings either way, but sometimes people see an ad, were thinking of selling, then decide to piggyback on what's already listed. Sometimes folks are just fishing. There are lots of reasons people sell instruments. I hate to see folks like mandolirius sell due to unfortunate circumstances. Some things are just wrong.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Don`t want one, had one and couldn`t wait to sell it, made a nice profit on it so maybe that is also why others are selling theirs.

Buy cheap and sell high...

I'm selling my amazing F4 because I need money to put into my business. I am hoping it comes back many fold, in which case I will "owe" myself another mandolin. I am selling my best mando because it is far and away worth the most money (my other oval holes are not as free from repairs). I don't think prices are up--this will be the first vintage instrument that I actually lose money on, having had it since '03. I am a bit ambivalent about selling. I feel a bit more confident about the economy, which is why I am willing to part with a treasured possession in order to expand my business.
    If only Monroe had played a '25 F4...I'd be a wealthy man!

You can buy cheap, and if people know you bought cheap, selling high is a bit of an issue.