Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Opinions on clip-on chromatic tuners?

Default Re: Opinions on clip-on chromatic tuners?

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    This looks very interesting. Two things about it strike me as odd: for the price ($490) I'm surprised that the design is so heavily biased towards 12-tet; and it's one octave short of being able to directly tune all the notes on a standard piano.

Would love to see this design applied to a more universal package, though.

What's missing from most of the more accurate, higher-end tuners is the clip-on option. I already have a bench-strobe tuner that I can use with a clip-on mike, but that's not convenient (or even feasible) in many performance situations.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there's not a real big demand for high accuracy, great flexibility, and great portability all in the same package.
    Dr H
    -----
    "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry." -- John Cage

I think you're right. Seems like most of that kind of thing would take place in a studio where the bench strobe would be fine. If you're doing this stuff live, you're really dedicated and probably exceptional, in that regard.

I use the Tune Tech Orb. Around $10 on Amazon and a similar build to the Snark, but not as fragile (no tabs to break off). My red Snark broke the first day. I like the Orb so much I bought three of them and they have been working great for a year without any battery issues...well, I did forget and left one on for a week, but that was my issue and not the Orb's.
    Cheers,
    Dale

Who has the best price on a Peterson Strobo tuner ?

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Who has the best price on a Peterson Strobo tuner ?
    I don't think you'll find any price variation on Peterson tuners. It's the type of gear that usually sells at MSRP, because there is enough demand that it isn't usually overstocked and needs to go on sale. For example, right now, the StroboClip here in the USA from the usual suspects:

Amazon - $69.34
    Musician's Friend: - $69.99
    Sweetwater - $69.99
    Elderly - $69.99

So you can save a whopping $.065 cents if you buy from Amazon. If you or anyone else here does spot a lower price for any of the Peterson tuners, please post it!
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
    I like the Orb so much I bought three of them and they have been working great for a year without any battery issues...well, I did forget and left one on for a week, but that was my issue and not the Orb's.
    No battery-saving auto-off function? That would rule out the Orb for me. Without that function I'd be spending more on batteries in six months than the tuners cost.

ron

[QUOTE=foldedpath;1182127]I don't think you'll find any price variation on Peterson tuners. It's the type of gear that usually sells at MSRP, because there is enough demand that it isn't usually overstocked and needs to go on sale. For example, right now, the StroboClip here in the USA from the usual suspects:

Amazon - $69.34
    Sweetwater - $69.99
    Elderly - $69.99

So you can save a whopping $.065 cents if you buy from Amazon. If you or anyone else here does spot a lower price for any of the Peterson tuners, please post it![/QUOTE I noticed on Sweetwater's homepage that they offer a two year warranty on the peterson stroboclip.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    I think you're right. Seems like most of that kind of thing would take place in a studio where the bench strobe would be fine. If you're doing this stuff live, you're really dedicated and probably exceptional, in that regard.
    Thanks, but no, I'm just wacky.
    Dr H
    -----
    "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry." -- John Cage

No, sorry not to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    Are you saying it'll be fine with 14-tone equal temperament tunings?

I have a snark that I like a lot. we bought a couple ukes 2 weeks ago and they only had Apex clip ons in stock. very bright displays and seem to work fairly accurate. cheaper than the snark too. I might grab a couple to toss in cases, in case the snark breaks... my amp has a built in tuner, as does my midi guitar board but the convenience of the clip on makes life easier for me, especially playing at the park and such

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't think you'll find any price variation on Peterson tuners. It's the type of gear that usually sells at MSRP, because there is enough demand that it isn't usually overstocked and needs to go on sale. For example, right now, the StroboClip here in the USA from the usual suspects:

Amazon - $69.34
    Sweetwater - $69.99
    Elderly - $69.99

So you can save a whopping $.065 cents if you buy from Amazon. If you or anyone else here does spot a lower price for any of the Peterson tuners, please post it!
    I bought a StroboClip from Amazon in May for $55.92... really weird and random price drop. Keep on eye on the prices and they apparently drop every once in a while. I ended up returning it (see my post earlier in this thread), but deals can be had for those who are patient (or in my case, lucky) enough!

I use a snark as well, the SN-8, it is the black one, to tune my mandolins and the guitars. I am very happy with it and I wrote a review for it in my blog, you can read it at SNARK SN-8 super tight tuner review and see my photos of it, how it is packaged and why I think highly of it.

I was concerned at the beginning that it would break, as it is very lightweight. No incident so far, but I subconsciously tend to handle it with care. The other thing that I do, is to always take it off once I finish tuning (or at least playing), as there is a clear instruction that the clip-on may damage the finish of the instrument if left on for long periods.

Now, I also tend to use a KORG WMT-555C as well, and the reason is that it includes a nice metronome function, so when practising I use it anyway as a metronome so I tune with it instead.

And yes, sometimes I use my smartphone when I forget everything else at home. I chose to pay for an app, as the free ones were not very good to my opinion. You can read my review for it at Easy Mandolin Tuning with iPhone/iPad/iPod. Hope that helps!
    "No, improvising is wonderful. But, the thing is that you cannot improvise unless you know exactly what you’re doing." Christopher Walken

My Blog: https://themandolintuner.com
    Our orchestra: https://poa-mandolinarte.org

<spam. membership privileges for this account have been removed.>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-14-2014 at 9:55pm.