Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My/Your MAS/MAD Ultimate Top Ten Wishlist!

Default Re: My/Your MAS/MAD Ultimate Top Ten Wishlist!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Neuman View Post
    I will, once again, be the "odd man out" on this one, as I have a tendency to bond very closely to what fate brings my way, and play it to death for decades! SO, about 6 months ago, said fate brought a Bulldog #24 into my world, and par usual, I have been trying my best to play it to death. SO, my "mas" is limited to "IF something catastrophic happened to my beloved Dog, what would I replace it with?" sort of list. Embarrassingly the list is short and perhaps very different then the majority of the affectionados here

1-A simple Gibson F-5 or A (nothing TOO expensive, or too old, as I tend to not baby them)
    2-A "pretty" Breedlove (something with a NICE shiny finish and perhaps some inlay)
    3- A hand built A style with the fretboard extension routed.

Perhaps a party pooper, but honest.
    I can identify, having similar traits, especially concerning "bonding with what fate brings my way". I started this journey about 15 years ago, and I just did the calculation and see that the 9 instruments I've kept to this point cost me around $3K altogether. (That makes the average cost to be $333.33 and 33/100 each - but some of them were darn good deals for the price paid!)

I know that I've more than likely bought my last instrument; the only question that remains is when do the inevitable sell-offs begin? But I know that there's no way I could have just one single instrument, even if that one cost me $3K all by itself, that would be as satisfying as having the variety of sounds that I now enjoy.

But if we have to name "impossible wish list" names, I wouldn't at all mind having a Kerman mandola.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

2. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Thanks for the correction Chip... I missed the "Sara" archtop OM on his site and went right to the MC... Having heard her many times the tone and register she gets makes the OM correction obvious. Still want one, but may just have to build it myself... Justifying $5800.00 doesn't make much sense for me. The up side is more time in my shop working on something for myself. Downside is "I'm no Fletcher"!

Mike J

I am about to satisfy another of my top 10, a Mowry octave, GOM.

Otherwise I'm pretty content right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

5. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Blog Entries

I know I don't want a real expensive instrument. I don't care how great it is (and I admit it would be great), I don't want anything that has a worth in the five figures. Even for free. Don't give me one.

I don't live the kind of lifestyle where that much money is best tied up in a mandolin. If you gave me free and clear an amazing five figure mandolin, I would sell it, buy something more reasonable, and apply the difference to a camper to get easier access to more festivals, or to my travel budget, so I could get to some of the mandolin events on the other side of the country/world. I might play it for a week or two, of course I would, but eventually that much money represents some real improvements elsewhere in my musical life.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Okay then, let's see. Based on my limited experience in the field of mandolins, and in no particular order:

Weber Black Ice F Mandolin
    Weber River F Mandolin
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin
    Gilchrist F4 Mandolin
    Pomeroy F Style
    Collings MF Deluxe Mandolin
    Ellis Deluxe Fern F Mandolin
    Weber Yellowstone A Mandolin
    Weber Hyalite Mandocello
    Weber Bitterroot Octar

8. The following members say thank you to Will FTT for this post:

JeffD, Well said. I appreciate your sensibilities...probably because they run close to mine
    mr.randy

10. The following members say thank you to Randolph for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    This may be why this thread is better than actually getting your 10 wishes.

Jamie
    This explains why I'm so happy.

I'd love a 2 point like Don Stiernberg has.

12. The following members say thank you to LA Mando for this post:

Upon more reflection, make my Halsey F-4 a torch and wire, I know he has thought about that from time to time.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I know I don't want a real expensive instrument. I don't care how great it is (and I admit it would be great), I don't want anything that has a worth in the five figures. Even for free. Don't give me one.
    Dorothy (the Toto toting one) discovered that if you can't find happiness in your own backyard... well, you know the story. My own mother always reminded us six kids that money would not make you happy... and then went on to name examples of our acquaintances who had money and had troubles.

I'm here to tell you I've been on both sides of the $ experience... Mom doesn't know what she's talking about. I'm perfectly happy with my Daleys and now an Elkhorn. They are all different but great, professional quality mandolins. More than I deserve or need.

That said, I've played a Gilchrist, a Kimble, an old Gibson, and a Red Diamond that I'd love to play whenever I felt like it. Maybe if keep horse trading... who knows.
    Rick in Memphis

16. The following members say thank you to Rick Crenshaw for this post:

missed getting the De Wick - Iucci mandolin that sold a few years ago ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

18. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by rb3868 View Post
    in no real order, most due to looks as I haven't heard most of them
    Clark two-point
    Sorensen Sprite
    Campanella Due
    Gibson A from the late teens (I've heard 3, and the tone from each just got me)
    Manndolin two point (yeah, there's a trend here...)
    Any Phoenix (this counts as 3)
    Collings MT2
    Weber Bighorn

The last two are the only ones I've had the opportunity to play
    You got it bad for the two-pointers! Several of those are on my list too.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

20. The following members say thank you to Bigtuna for this post: