Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New Primitive"

Default "New Primitive"

A new project just announced by Adam Steffey.....Great mando tunes....previews on Itunes
    "New Primitive". The version of "Chinquapin Hunting" is a good 'un. Wondering who else plays on this project? Release date June 18.

Default Re: "New Primitive"

Hoo ha! Listen to samples here (Come on, July 16!): http://www.amazon.com/New-Primitive/...38/ref=mb_oe_o
    Dennis Ladd

You can also hear Adam talking about this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkqUQkU2oOI

Alan
    acinva

Blog Entries

We have a full length interview with Adam in the can about the new recording but are waiting until it is available on amazon.com to publish it. For some reason the powers handling it haven't been able to get pre-ordering in place for it there. Nice piece and good photos of the mandolins he used, etc.

ITunes says June 18 for release...I'll have to listen to all the previews & see if I can figure out who's who

Blog Entries

It's a remarkable recording and is getting plenty of airplay on my iTunes (advance copy). Mike Compton recently did a recording with a frailing banjo player and I really dig this combination of hard driving bluegrass style mandolin and frailing banjo. There's plenty of that on Adam's disc of course as his wife Tina is a great frailer. The fiddle playing and some of the guest singers are just wonderful. Really love this recording and am happy with how the interview turned out. Looking forward to the availability of the music so I can publish it.

Blog Entries

Heard some of it early on. It's great stuff. Totally agree on the mandolin/frailing combination.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Great sound. I am sure the old time guard will point out this is not old time music but who cares...this is great music. Another good recording with clawhammer banjo and mando (not on every track) is Ivan Rosenberg's Clawhammer and Dobro album. It is a great sound (accentuated with dobro of course!).

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this one Doc. It's got MUST HAVE written all over it !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks so much, Doc! The musicians that appear on the New Primitive project are Zeb Snyder - Guitar, Tina Steffey - clawhammer banjo, Eddie Bond - fiddle and vocals, Samantha Snyder - fiddle and vocals, and Barry Bales - bass. As Scott mentioned, there is an in depth piece that he will soon be posting here that will include photos of the mandolins used on the album (Northfield's). The tune "Chinquapin Hunting" is a duet that I did with Zeb Snyder on guitar. Zeb plays guitar on the entire album and is an absolute monster of a player. And at 17 years old, he will be making great music for many years to come. Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy the album!!
    Adam Steffey

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    A new project just announced by Adam Steffey.....Great mando tunes....previews on Itunes
    "New Primitive". The version of "Chinquapin Hunting" is a good 'un. Wondering who else plays on this project? Release date June 18.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Steffey For This Useful Post:

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Sounds like a great project - can't wait to hear it Adam!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by coletrickle View Post
    Great sound. I am sure the old time guard will point out this is not old time music but who cares...this is great music. Another good recording with clawhammer banjo and mando (not on every track) is Ivan Rosenberg's Clawhammer and Dobro album. It is a great sound (accentuated with dobro of course!).
    Yep! Kinda grassy OT... great stuff never the less
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Registered User CollingsFever101's Avatar

I downloaded New Primitive from iTunes, unfortunately iTunes did not include any of the composer information for each of the 13 tracks. Has anyone here purchased the physical album from a music store? If so, would you mind posting the names of the composers of the 13 tracks found in the CD liner notes? Thank you so much in advance!

They're pretty much all traditional tunes.

Very prompt delivery of the CD. In a word, wonderful. Good tunes, varied grooves, and Zeb is the man!

I love it.

Mine's on order since Wed.last. I've heard the iTunes clips & i can't wait to get this CD,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Listened through for the first time this mornign and enjoyed it evry much. The clawhammer banjo works extremely well with mandolin - I think I prefer it to a roll - and the quality of recording is superb. Al the instruments are clear - and there was one solo mandolin track where I could have sworn Mr Steffey was standing beside my armchair pickin' away.
    This is my favourite of his solo projects (so far). Great that people are making exactly the kind of music I want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    They're pretty much all traditional tunes.
    All the same, would you mind posting the composers' names?

Quote Originally Posted by East Man View Post
    All the same, would you mind posting the composers' names?
    I imagine that since most of them are traditional tunes, no one knows the authors. That's what traditional means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I imagine that since most of them are traditional tunes, no one knows the authors. That's what traditional means.
    I understand that, Mike, but not all of them can be traditional tunes. I know most of them are, but I would just like to know which ones are traditional and which ones aren't and by whom they were composed. If most of them are traditional then it shouldn't take any time at all to indicate which ones were written by a composer.

I'm not as familiar with this old-time music as some may be since I have focused more on bluegrass music. I would appreciate the help if anyone is willing.

Of the 13 tunes there are only 2 that may be composed. I found that Ways of the World is apparently a Kentucky tune.
    Fun Times at Our House may be an Indiana tune called Fine Times at our house. Those are the 2 tunes that I wasn't sure of, so I'd say that they are all traditional. I would be happy to be corrected though

23. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

Most may be traditional but 'Who (now) will sing me lullabies?' is composed by the great folk singer Kate Rusby from Yorkshire England. It is one of many fine songs she has written and this one appeared on her 2001 album Little Lights, one of my all time favourites

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anglocelt For This Useful Post:

Pro Drummer/Amateur Mando Goodness's Avatar

I just listened to New Primitive in it's entirety on Spotify and I loved it. In fact, so much so that it prompted me to listen to the One More For The Road album (which is playing as I type this). Great! Just GREAT!

From Kevin - "... from Yorkshire England.". Eeee,by 'eck,i remember Yorkshire lad. :- http://youtu.be/wPjJFv1NDBg
    Gareth Hale & Norman Pace from their UK TV series. Geoff 'Boycott',the surname of the pilot,was a well know & notoriously blunt & outspoken cricketer. Yorkshire's a fabulous county & the setting for the novels "Wuthering Heights" & "Jane Eyre",
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Finally broke down last night and bought New Primitive. Wow. Just some great,great music. I totally agree that the clawhammer banjo/mandolin combo works so well with these tunes, Tina is just excellent on the whole CD. Adam's sound is so big. Don't know any other way to describe it, and I don't mean loud (I hate it when my adjectives fail me), but it's the closest thing I've heard yet to my "ideal" mando sound. All-in-all, a wonderful album. Thanks, Adam!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition