Thread: Info on 70's Washburn Jethro Burns Mandolin

6037 Gleneagle Drive Hudsonville, MI 49426

Default Info on 70's Washburn Jethro Burns Mandolin

I have an old (70's, I think) Washburn Jethro Burns F Mandolin: Model M-6S serial #2514
    Does anyone out there know anything about these 1970's Washburns?
    Jim
    J.Strangways

Default Re: Info on 70's Washburn Jethro Burns Mandolin

Jethro had one it sounded pretty good in his hands.

I've had #645 for over thirty years. I don't pull it out very often, I have have others I play these days. But when I do break it out, it still makes me feel good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jethro.jpg 
Views:	1467 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	102943

That's a good looking Washburn, John.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

John,
    Wow! That's exactly like my mandolin except no pick guard, but the holes for one are there in the side of the neck. I've never seen another like mine. That's cool, a twin. The finish is sort of orangy, do you know what that finish is called? Does yours have gold tone hardware? Do you know when yours was made and did Washburn keep any records? Anything else that you can tell me about the mandolin would be appreciated? It's a great mandolin. Thanks
    Jim
    J.Strangways

Jethro could make a piece of drift wood sound good.
    Jim
    J.Strangways

Hey J., I bought mine around 1981, the original owner had it a short while. I believe it was made in the late '70's or 1980. Yes, the hardware is gold colored. The finish was originally more of a sunburst, darker around the edges, with white binding. Over the years the darker edges of the finish faded, and the binding absorbed finish, turning the the binding orange. I have older mandolins, but I've never seen binding change color like this. It gives it kind of an aged look, but it's still shiny (and not dented or "reliced").

Although the label says it's "Hand Crafted In the Washburn Tradition of Chicago" (no mention of Japan), from past research I found that it was made by Kasuga Musical Instruments. There's an interesting read about Kasuga here: http://thenakedlistener.wordpress.co...27/guitarknow/. Solid woods (sitka top, maple back and sides).
    Not particularly loud, but plays and sounds great (to me). Are you enjoying yours?

John,
    Thanks for the information on the Washburn mandolin. The Kasuga article was informative. I'm enjoying my Washburn and I agree with you that it plays and sounds great. In addition, I think it's the prettiest mandolin of all the mandolins that I own. My wife says, as many wives do, that I have too many. So it goes with MAS. I started in the 70's with a 1924 Gibson A-1 snakehead blacktop which I still have. A easy playing and sweet sounding mando. My main instrument is a Stiver F that I bought in 1981. It's been well played in and keeps my banjo player on his toes. What other mandos do you own?
    Jim
    J.Strangways

J., if you get a chance put up a pic of yours. I'm wondering if your binding turned orange also. Sounds like you're pretty well set up with mandos! I've still got all mine- couple of old bowlbacks, John Mann and Fender electrics, a Doyle Lawson, and a '21 F-4 thats up for sale (may have a new home shortly). And a Sorensen Sprite in the works! But I still love that Washburn, it was my first good one and it's seen a lot of use.

IMG_4747.HEIC

I have one with his signature as well! I wonder if he played it himself, or endorse those?

He endorsed. Or as he said in his shows "The Washburn Mandolin Company has asked me to tell you I am playing a Gibson mandolin."