Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 328495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1698

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Then there is this 1975 F-5....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26535554758...IAAOSwqK5hY1oa

Hooboy.
    Back in the day when my ex father in law (Buddy Davis) and I were building full time we took a few of these 70's Gibsons and removed the tops, carved new ones to Loar specs then thinned out the backs a bit and refinished them....turned out to be some good mandos.....thats when they were affordable and could be had at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Pretty sure it's a cut down comb. As in men's hair comb. That's a first for me. Never seen that before.
    I actually have! The first mandocello I bought was a Gibson K1; it had the original 1-piece bridge base but the saddles were gone. In the saddle slot was the spine of an old men's comb.

Had a new bridge made out of an archtop guitar blank and ended up selling that cello to the late Neil Dean. I wonder what became of the instrument. Its other attractive feature was that someone had done a crack repair using Popsicle sticks for cleats on the inside.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Its other attractive feature was that someone had done a crack repair using Popsicle sticks for cleats on the inside.
    Definitely made all those licks better

Alright, I go back to my corner now
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

We get a tremendous amount of info about Gretsch on this listing which might be helpful if this mandolin was not a Harmony Monterey branded as a Gretsch. Nice monkey on a stick- but you can probably get one of those and a Monterey mandolin and have about $3000 spare to invest elsewhere. Nice chipboard case which is good for keeping the dust off it but that's about it in terms of protection although as a $200 mandolin maximum, it is a reasonable pairing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/28459265564...temCondition=4

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'll never understand how some people come up with their sale prices. For that kind of money you could do something like what I did: Pick up a nice 'teens H-2 mandola. AND a fine 'teens Gibson A mandolin. AND another fine 'teens Gibson A mandolin. And still have enough left over for a custom-made Steve Ryder electric mandolin. I'm not bragging, I know I've had some luck in this area. Just saying, by comparison ...

But if you're dead set on shelling out that much for something like this, go for it! May it bring you joy.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Spotted this on my local Facebook marketplace. Call me cynical, but I don't think they'll get £250 for it! And the description somehow neglects to mention the neck joint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220115-113214_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	683.4 KB 
ID:	198752

Name:	Screenshot_20220115-113034_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	613.7 KB 
ID:	198753

Name:	Screenshot_20220115-113256_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	753.8 KB 
ID:	198754

This is the thread where we report wishful thinking. I doubt that that Italian mandolin has any ivory on it and most likely the scratch plate is plastic not TS.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Nice '46 Gibson A style here.

But $25K nice? I doubt it.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...433844515.html

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Well, it IS rare, right? Though I don't know if it's very rare. Nor, for that matter, very very rare. And no, I'm surely not Sirius. And don't call me Shirley.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

11. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

It’s code. The owner has a preferred customer, an artist who deserves such a gem. Sirius is the Dog Star…get it?

Blog Entries

So, it's code for "rats god?"

That’s just too much to believe, Sirius ly!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Here's an entertaining one:

https://reverb.com/item/48625497-gre...lin-super-rare

"This unique electric mandolin is labeled 1978 and crafted by the renowned Japanese company Greco during one of their best production periods. In the several years I have owned this mandolin I have yet to find another like it. It has a one of a kind construction that matches the high quality craftsmanship for which Greco is known for."

You have to admire someone who can launch such a brazen attack on truth, common sense and the English language simultaneously.

16. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

The seller is really pushing the alleged rarity of this instrument. Rarity doesn't necessarily mean an item is special; it just means there aren't that many of them. Is "rarity" the same as "scarcity?" * Maybe not many were produced. Maybe there were, but no one wanted them. Maybe they weren't made well and didn't last very long, or were discarded. Who knows? I've never heard of the brand, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean much, From the listing title - "Greco Electric Mandolin, Super Rare" - to the numerous synonyms - "unique," "yet to find another like it," "one of a kind," "rare find," "super rare and unique," - this seldom seen instrument's near-invisibility is touted repeatedly as a selling point. Might as well go with that; probably not much else going for it.

* Merriam-Webster defines "rare" thus:

1: seldom occurring or found: UNCOMMON
    2a: marked by unusual quality, merit, or appeal: DISTINCTIVE
    b: superlative or extreme of its kind
    I aver this wee beastie is much closer to definition 1 than either definition 2.
    Last edited by journeybear; Jan-19-2022 at 7:38pm. Reason: further research

That's just the point, these aren't rare at all. If you can't find another one of these, you're not looking very hard.

Maybe you can't find another one that says "Greco," but there have to be hundreds if not thousands of these old Japanese electric KayKraft copies floating about, identical to this one in every respect save the brand name.

19. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Currently I suspect we're at a high point of collectibles, where any old junk from 1980s back is pitched as high as anyone will pay (and higher). There are also lots of people understandably desperate to try to make a few $$ because of Covid affecting their income. All collectibles bubbles deflate or burst eventually, and when they do, only the inherently good or very old stuff retains value, even if it drops a lot.

One thing I notice now on Ebay (probably happens on other sites) which should, and maybe will, be stopped is false pricing. When you do a Google search for some popular domestic item like a torch or common power tool, you'll see items listed under the 'shopping' heading at prices less than what you see when you click through to Ebay for that item from that trader. I'm told this is because some discount retailers are listing items which are not available at the advertised price. When you click through to Ebay you find they're anything from $1 to $10 more than the Google listing showed. I don't know whether those traders think we won't notice they've done this, but I blacklist them for it.

I have no idea if this mandolin is even from the same factory, but Greco electric guitars and basses are among the better regarded Japanese copies of that era, and even have a few collectors. So I suspect the seller may be hoping to use this to attract some interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Beer View Post
    I have no idea if this mandolin is even from the same factory, but Greco electric guitars and basses are among the better regarded Japanese copies of that era, and even have a few collectors. So I suspect the seller may be hoping to use this to attract some interest.
    [Checks Wikipedia] Yes, I see what you mean ... perhaps this seller hopes that some of the guitars' reputation will spill over onto this mandolin. Still, there's no visual evidence that it is any different from other factory mandolins of the era, whereas the guitars do seem to have been more specialized.

And even if the Greco mandolin were rare, it might not be desirable. I think Gruhn said: "Bubonic plague is rare, but not desirable"

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Not a mandolin, but I couldn't resist.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ms...435305853.html

Name:	00j0j_5XEM2UpHxUzz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	199181
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Blog Entries

There's something a little different about this guitar. Not sure what, can't quite put my finger on it, I just get a feeling ...

But despite its looks, I wouldn't be surprised if this sold. It's priced to move, and the seller will deliver to the area.

Here is one - https://reverb.com/item/47200281-gib...-and-2-saddles

This spectacular mandolin just celebrated it’s 100th birthday this year! For her birthday she enjoyed a centennial, bare-wood concourse restoration. Everything from repaired binding, new Stew Mac finish and clear coat to fret work, neck work, structural repair and more… you name it, it’s been addressed and finessed back to a healthy glow. Comes with a brand new hard shell case and fresh D’Addario strings, picks etc.

You need the entire text.

This spectacular mandolin just celebrated it’s 100th birthday this year! For her birthday she enjoyed a centennial, bare-wood concourse restoration. Everything from repaired binding, new Stew Mac finish and clear coat to fret work, neck work, structural repair and more… you name it, it’s been addressed and finessed back to a healthy glow. Comes with a brand new hard shell case and fresh D’Addario strings, picks etc.

As you can see, this 100 year old Gibson A (like thousands of others), needed quite a bit of TLC when she arrived and she received it in spades from JML Studios in NYC. Everything from an impossibly weathered original paper label to peeling up binding!

The luthiers at JML Studios are constantly restoring world class mandolins every day and this one is probably the coolest (dare I say best sounding) mando ever to grace our benches.

This highly projective 1921 Gibson A model is now a very strong 8-string mandolin, ready to go another 100 years. It was sanded down to the bare wood and completely restored from the ground up using only the very best luthier stains and clear coat products money can buy. The binding has been fixed as well, as it was coming up where the neck meets the body, look at the last picture for details. No expense was spared and we even had a new handmade Gibson engraved saddle made (1:1 spec) just for the restoration (old tailpiece is included, as seen in last picture). The old oxidized saddle, while original, was also blank AMD I’ve always preferred the Gibson stamped ashtray covered ones so I had one made to spec and appropriately distressed by some pretty incredible craftsman. The original is also included in the listing and can be put back on but the new one looks way better imho. Even the original paper-label serial badge on the inside, which was all but completely disintegrated away, was recreated by veteran mandolin luthier Scott Fox of SOuth Carolina who specialized in those types of concourse restoration details. Scott actually serviced this one of 8 mandolins at the same time in 97, which he sold to the guy I bought this one from. His name is written in sharpie down in the body. Too far to get a photo but I contacted him. He sounds like he’s in his late 90’s and couldn’t remember which one I was talking about. When I got this mandolin however, his 97 restoration, just like an old 1997 hot rod, desperately needed a facelift and a ground up job. It’s now ready for another 40-50 years of like new playability and shine.

Every single thing you see was attended to. These sell as high as 10k when done right (see pricing screenshot in pics) and this one is being done RIGHT but will go for much less to move quickly. This is one of the loudest, warmest and boldest sounding mando’s on the market today. Everyone that hears it agrees it’s the loudest and boomiest mando they’ve ever heard. The sound itself is just massive.

Comes with both original aluminum saddle for even louder, brighter performances as well as a wooden one for recording and session work. Own a piece of 100 year old history and a holy grail instrument with this once in a lifetime purchase. Original pickguard and ancient hardware included, although we left it off for obvious aesthetic reasons. Also, it’s a bit warped from being older than any living humans.

We have a half dozen other 100 year old unique mando’s about to pop up in our shop so stay tuned.

Watch this listing and the other mandolins undergoing total overhaul to stay informed of completion!
    I have one that is in better shape than his was when it started. I'm thinking if I can get half what he thinks he can get I'm good.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Didn’t we discuss this $8500 A model a few pages ago on this thread?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Didn’t we discuss this $8500 A model a few pages ago on this thread?
    Yessir, just 50 posts ago , beginning on Thanksgiving. Guess it hasn't attracted as many serious buyers as the seller believed it would.