Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 143536373839

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Nashport, Ohio is not too far from my office. If anyone is interested in the mando, send me $25,000 cashiers check and I will send you a Gibson A model. Heck, I'll even pay shipping.

Antique Hand-Made 8-string Mandolin Style Instrumental on Facebook Marketplace

Definitely hand-made, in fair condition. Playable, but used as antique decoration for years in our family.
    Here's a real bargain at half the price! Handcrafted hardware, too. Checkout the tuners and the tailpiece. Bill James could learn a thing or two from this maker.

Hey, you never know. This could be one of Schmergel's early works or a prototype for the Devastator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junker01.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	182180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junker02.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	182181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junker03.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	182182  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junker04.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	182183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junker05.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	182184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junker06.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	182185  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This could be one of Schmergel's early works or a prototype for the Devastator.
    If it is, the Devastator is a myth, for this was pryed from the hands of the charred corpse of its maker after a workshop fire, apparently. Torrefaction gone wrong?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

This could be one of Schmergel's early works or a prototype for the Devastator.
    Except he was still working on the model name as well. Instead of the Devastator, it was the Devastated.
    Purr more, hiss less.

5. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

There is no "c" in Shmergel. Just saving Allen some extra work.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    There is no "c" in Shmergel. Just saving Allen some extra work.
    Actually, the Schmergel brothers, Carl and August, started out working together but there was some bad blood and Carl left and started his own shop and he was the more famous of the two. He had to change the spelling of his name to avoid devastating lawsuits from his estranged brother.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Antique Hand-Made 8-string Mandolin Style Instrumental This could be one of Schmergel's early works or a prototype for the Devastator.
    I doubt it is a Shmergel... But it could be a Shmergel. It has some (sort of) Shmergel traits.

I saw a mandolin that had strings on it just like this one that someone said reminded them of a Devastator.

Carlos and Augustus Shmergel, nee Schmergel?

I'm devastated.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

A used Michael Kelly north of $2K? Well, I guess They're Not Making Any More of These! Their Value Will Only Increase!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kel...AAAOSwJRleAK4~
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy Wood Thormahlen Andersen Bacorn Yanuziello Fender National Gibson Franke Fuchs Aceto Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I doubt it is a Shmergel... But it could be a Shmergel. It has some (sort of) Shmergel traits.

I saw a mandolin that had strings on it just like this one that someone said reminded them of a Devastator.

Carlos and Augustus Shmergel, nee Schmergel?

I'm devastated.

Mick
    Mick - you're close.
    I believe it is a "Smeagol," wrought in the forges of the Dark Tower to annoy elven ears. And to confuse mandolinists in search of the elusive "Devastator."

It was wrought following his success at forging a ring of power. Since "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." worked out so well for a long time, Sauron thought he could dragoon all the "Devastators" together through a mandolin of power.

You know, "One Mandolin to rule them all, One Mandolin to find them, One Mandolin to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." This is why the Devastators are so seldom seen. They were hidden when the Dark Lord's intentions were perceived, and their whereabouts are only known to certain princes of the Cafe, who quietly play them to heal the hurts of the musical world.

Or something like that.

Maybe Scott has one...or Mike.
    One watch by night, one watch by day...if you get confused, just listen to the music play.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Donahue For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    A used Michael Kelly north of $2K? Well, I guess They're Not Making Any More of These! Their Value Will Only Increase!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Kel...AAAOSwJRleAK4~
    Hey, that's one ambitious entrepreneur there
    Technique, theory and fun, fun, fun. I love playing, studying and sharing MUSIC.
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN
    ------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Collings Mandolins | MandoCymru
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    Mick - you're close.
    I believe it is a "Smeagol," wrought in the forges of the Dark Tower to annoy elven ears. And to confuse mandolinists in search of the elusive "Devastator."

It was wrought following his success at forging a ring of power. Since "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." worked out so well for a long time, Sauron thought he could dragoon all the "Devastators" together through a mandolin of power.

You know, "One Mandolin to rule them all, One Mandolin to find them, One Mandolin to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them." This is why the Devastators are so seldom seen. They were hidden when the Dark Lord's intentions were perceived, and their whereabouts are only known to certain princes of the Cafe, who quietly play them to heal the hurts of the musical world.

Or something like that.

I appreciate the "Lord of the Rings" reference....

15. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    Mick - you're close.

Or something like that.

Thanks for the hint. Now we know what to do with that. Where is the nearest volcano?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

17. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

From the darkened closets of Guitar Center Vintage...

This 1920s(?) A-3 is a bit scary. If it was less than 1/2 the asking price perhaps someone would buy it and with mercy restore it to playable. I don't know what that pickup is. it is stamped "Ideal." GC vintage listings are notorious for having terrible photos.

It does look like it has original tuners and besides being probably a refinished whiteface might be in semi-decent condition. Unless, of course, the top was cut open to install that pickup.

I just did a quick search and the Ideal pickup was made in germany and wasthe first pickup to be used for bouzoukis. I don't know how it picked up 8 strings with 6 pole pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	656.4 KB 
ID:	183841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soundhole.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	857.2 KB 
ID:	183842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstk.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	183843  

Name:	headstk-bk.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	183844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detailbk.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	821.8 KB 
ID:	183845  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I don't know how it picked up 8 strings with 6 pole pieces.
    The field eminating from a pole piece is circular-ish, so a 6-pole pickup will work fine, just doesn't give you as convenient adjustment as a 4-pole pickup.

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	183846

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    The field eminating from a pole piece is circular-ish, so a 6-pole pickup will work fine, just doesn't give you as convenient adjustment as a 4-pole pickup.

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	183846
    Thank you, Professor Jacobson. That makes a lot of sense.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

If it was $500 or so I might give it consideration - that would be a price I could afford and I am (casually) looking for a 1920s Gibson. But needing work at the price they are asking, no thanks.