Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1233343536373839404162 ... LastLast

Thread: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

===========

Default Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Not . . . yet “antique” . . .
    Judging from the pictures - if there is anyone out there who collects antique strings, this might be the mandolin for them . . . it almost looks like those could be the originals!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Reminds me of a story on UK national radio a few years ago when people were asked if they had met any interesting people.

A journalist said he’d been talking to a man in an airport departure lounge and the man asked what he did for a living. “I’m a journalist” he said, “What do you do?”. “Oh, I’m the King of Spain” came the reply.
    Funny. Years ago (1970's or early 80's), when security wasn't what it is today, I came out of Union (train) Station in Toronto, and saw cops all over the place. I asked one what was going on, and he told me that in a few minutes, King Juan Carlos of Spain would be arriving at the Royal York Hotel, across the street. I crossed over, and, from only a few feet away, watched the king enter the hotel. He was an ordinary-looking fellow, dressed in a military uniform -- no crown. That story sounds believable to me. Sadly, my encounter, unlike the journalist's, didn't leave me with a punchline. (Today, I'd probably be hauled off for showing too much curiousity.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I have one of these—my only Regal instrument—which needs some help. I got it pretty cheap though. I have no real expectations that it will blow me away with tone, but I love the look and it has the original oddball and definitely custom case. It is in the queue for restoration. Too bad that the pickguard crystallized with that scratched in castle image. An upper-end reverse scroll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_frontback.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	179961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_incasefulbody.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	179960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_headstockfront.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	179962  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_pickguard.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	179963  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

lenf12 

That's a beauty, Jim!

I've mentioned before that Regal did have a pre-war custom shop that made giant archtop guitars that were the rivals of Gibson Super 400's and Strombergs. Look up Regal Prince guitar on Google. Anyway, almost bought one once -- super high quality archtop with an 18-inch bottom bout -- great peghead inlay, too.

Jim, here is Jake Widwood's review of one of these- a slightly undressed version but the same basic instrument. He reckons his is really good- so you may be in luck with its tone. I hope so.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...p-reverse.html

Here is a YouTube video of the Regal Prince. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offpChSS7CA

I notice in his book Bob Carlin shows a few "Custom Built" instruments so those who were being sniffy about this concept are ignoring the higher end models' existence. I seem to recall buying a Jimmie Vaughan album over 20 years ago that had him with his Regal Bob Cat on the cover.

Most of the Regal Prince guitars seem to date from 1938 to 1940. One of the big auction houses had one for sale a few years ago and they even gave the name of the luthier who built the guitar at the Regal custom shop. I don't recall his name, but I'm sure an hour or less of research would locate that info. Another Regal Prince was recently sold on Reverb with the notation that it was either played or owned by (can't remember which) Freddie Green of Count Basie's Orchestra.

I tracked it down- it was "played and owned" it mentioned in the listing by Freddie Green who was probably associated more with Stromberg guitars. However, it does remind us that some of the top end Chicago made instruments at that time were pretty damned good.

W-W-WOW! Rock the Casbah!

Jim, that’s so cool! Glad that it found a home and an owner who knows just how cool it really is!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think it is partly the Antiques Roadshow syndrome. Every attic and every grandmother had a Loar-signed F5 or everyone heads out to the flea market and comes home with a valuable painting. Oh well. Too bad... I love my Maurer which I paid about $300. it is practically the same with the exception of the pick guard.
    Same with a Stradivari violin ! Everyone who owns a very old violin that has a Stradivari label inside of it has an original Stradivari ! Hard to convince them otherwise !

A lovely well-patinaed 1916 Martin Brazilian rosewood mandolin. Seriously overpriced at $7000 though, IMHO. At least the seller is honest about testing the waters with this price. I do love the "feather" pickguard. The interesting part is that the Martin A, first made in 1914, had BRW back and sides until 1917 when it was changed to mahogany.
    I emailed the seller the other day and he still thought it was worth what he was asking. Finally he lowered the price by $1250. Here is the eBay link, for entertainment value. Only $5750 hurry on down!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I emailed the seller the other day and he still thought it was worth what he was asking. Finally he lowered the price by $1250. Here is the eBay link, for entertainment value. Only $5750 hurry on down!
    Well, he's come out of the clouds a little bit.....

Jim, That reverse scroll is way cool - thanks for posting pix! I've been lusting after one of these for a while.

Here is one. Granted, not as good- but you can buy it from Mandolin Bros for $695 cash.

http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Mart...olin-1917/1866

Blog Entries

Only $9,995 on Reverb and it can be yours.

Name:  p2w0yp5rurtp2r9m57rp-1.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  190.5 KB

18. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Hmm. And no "make an offer" button. Guess they wanted to show it off. Can't see it selling at anything near that price.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Only $9,995 on Reverb and it can be yours.
    That is a cool historic piece but again the asking price is about 10 times what it should be IMHO.

My take is that this is from the seller's personal collection and he doesn't quite want to let it go for awhile or (again) is testing the H2Os.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Sep-25-2019 at 2:17pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

The price isn't bad, but not sure what this six-string mandolin-shaped thing is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	six_strings-l1600.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	180166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	six_strings-l1600b.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	289.5 KB 
ID:	180167
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-MAN...D/383167194643

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    The price isn't bad, but not sure what this six-string mandolin-shaped thing is:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-MAN...D/383167194643
    This must be a toy. 14-1/2” and with that fret spacing is unplayable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Cobalt 

A lovely well-patinaed 1916 Martin Brazilian rosewood mandolin. Seriously overpriced at $7000 though, IMHO. At least the seller is honest about testing the waters with this price. I do love the "feather" pickguard.

The interesting part is that the Martin A, first made in 1914, had BRW back and sides until 1917 when it was changed to mahogany.
    Now, down to $4,000.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

How about this rare one of a kind Premier-Multivox mis-identified Faux Resonator Mandolin? Not a chance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premier-Mul...YAAOSwmuNcrwhj
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    How about this rare one of a kind Premier-Multivox mis-identified Faux Resonator Mandolin? Not a chance.

Even if the seller replaces the missing string?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

27. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Mugwumps says Premier is a Pepper trademark: Pepper, James W., Philadelphia, PA, 1890+. Strange that the seller contacted Martin, of all people. At least he says, "So it may not be a Premier brand but neither he or I could find this type in any other brand. I am open to polite and informative comments to help figure out more of what this is."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Looks like a re-post of this old favourite:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1709892