Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman MD 315

Pro Drummer/Amateur Mando Goodness's Avatar

Default Eastman MD 315

I was on here a while back and at that time had a Morgan Monroe F Style. Although for the life of me I can't remember the model, I do remember that I got it from Folk of the Wood. I ended up having to sell it a few years back to cover some medical bills but never lost the "mando bug". I just got a new Eastman MD 315. So, once again, I'm going to continue trying to learn how to play this instrument that has intrigued me for many years. I'm actually a professional session drummer and spent many years in Nashville. It was Sam Bush that sparked my interest in the mandolin back in the late 80's when New Grass Revival was the opening act for the artist I was touring with.

Anyway, it was from reading lots of posts here that steered me towards the Eastman - so thank you all for that!

Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman_MD315_16796_130129189_1.jpg 
Views:	3388 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	102470 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman_MD315_16796_130129189_2.jpg 
Views:	1634 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	102471 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman_MD315_16796_130129189_3.jpg 
Views:	1172 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	102472

Default Re: Eastman MD 315

Nice! I love mine!

Nice Pix, too.

Frank

Lovely. These look great... they are cheap... I have to wonder about sound and set up. What do you think?

Great looking instrument. Best wishes in your learning.

Wupeide - I wouldn't say the MD 315 is "cheap". I'd be more likely to refer to it as inexpensive. I did a bunch of research online and read reviews (including a lot of input from members here) and narrowed my choices down to a few instruments. I talked with someone at The Mandolin Store (they carry all of my final choices) that told me, hands down, the Eastman MD 315 is the best thing out there for under $1000. I ended up purchasing mine from a local luthier that specializes in high-end acoustic string instruments. I was sent there by my guitar player. They had 6 MD 315's in stock and took the time with me to play each one and point out the differences, They all sounded good but the one I ended up with was, in their words, "special". It has a full warm tone without any harshness in the upper register. The set-up from their shop was top notch. So, all in all, I'm very happy.

Now all I have to do is learn to play it better!

May I ask what kind of wood this is? My Eastman (not sure of model) is spruce, with a glossy finish. However, I could not put my finger on yours.

Here's the info on the 315 from the Eastman website:

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/md315/

My 305 is also a matte finish and I've had a lot of compliments on its tone -- enjoy yourself! You've got a good start with the 315.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe and enjoy your mandolin playing. That's a good looking Eastman!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks for all the positive comments and encouragement. I did find some pictures of my original Morgan Monroe Mando. I believe it was an MMS-2. Here's what it looked like. It looked a lot fancier than my Eastman. BUT - the Eastman sounds and plays a whole lot better (IMO).

Cheers!

Name:	MorganMonroe_MMS2_FrontBack.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	102705

I just got one of these myself last week. Love it and looking forward to learning how to play it, I play mainly guitar and ukulele.

Congrats!!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...t-for-delivery
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by Goodness View Post
    Wupeide - I wouldn't say the MD 315 is "cheap". I'd be more likely to refer to it as inexpensive. I did a bunch of research online and read reviews (including a lot of input from members here) and narrowed my choices down to a few instruments. I talked with someone at The Mandolin Store (they carry all of my final choices) that told me, hands down, the Eastman MD 315 is the best thing out there for under $1000. I ended up purchasing mine from a local luthier that specializes in high-end acoustic string instruments. I was sent there by my guitar player. They had 6 MD 315's in stock and took the time with me to play each one and point out the differences, They all sounded good but the one I ended up with was, in their words, "special". It has a full warm tone without any harshness in the upper register. The set-up from their shop was top notch. So, all in all, I'm very happy.

Now all I have to do is learn to play it better!
    My experience was similar. Brian at TMS did a great job setting up my MD315. Play yours in good health!

Goodness, love the "profile picture"

I also love that finish.

Isn't it rather rare to get a single-piece back on an inexpensive mando?

They are 2 piece backs, just bookmatched nicely. Mine has matured into a loud and rich sounding mando after 6 months of daily play. What really made it come to life is re fitting the bridge, taking some 'meat' off of the top of the nut, raising the action a tad and changing to ghs A270's.

wow, that is a very tight seam. I can't see it at all, even clicking through to the largest size

rb3868,

Thanks for the comment on my "profile picture". It's actually a logo I designed for a band I put together a year or so ago.
    I agree with you on the tightness of the seam if, in fact, it is a two-piece back on my Eastman. I can't see it either. And I'm holding it in my hand! Either way, the instrument is beautifully built and sounds fantastic.

Very nice. I've often found the less blinged out models have better tone than their more expensive siblings. Which is double-plus-good.

Enjoy!
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Verne - I agree whole heartedly. This Eastman is so much fun to play!

Thanks!

Goodness, myself and others have done some upgrades to these mandolins that make them even better. I added an Allen tailpiece, a Webber trad (Van Brekke) bridge and an arm rest. Some folks have swaped out to a Cumberland Acustic bridge and others have had the tuners replaced. I will probably replace the tuners soon. There are threads here that cover all this.
    Have Fun with your 315!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Eastman uses very good component parts. I certainly can see the advantages of the armrest. I recently put one on and it makes a noticeable improvement.

I'd fit the bridge to the top - i.e. take the bridge off, use painters tape to attach an 800 or so grit piece of sandpaper to the top [facing up, of course] and work the bridge feet back and forth on the sandpaper so it matches the curve of the top. That would especially have to be done with a new bridge but I think you'll find fitting the stock bridge will be as good as any replacement.

Same for tuning machines. If they aren't broke, why fix?

Regardless, enjoy!

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Same for tuning machines. If they aren't broke, why fix?
    Well, the tuners on my md-315 were definitely part of the price compromise. They really weren't very good. They were stiff & not very precise. (Not sure what the ratio is, though.) I put on some Grovers & it improved my "mando experience" significantly every time I tuned up. That's basically every time I pull it out of the case.

Of course, ymmv,

Frank

Yeah, I like Govers myself. 18:1 tuning ratio is pretty hard to beat.

- ---==< V >==--- -

I've got Gotohs on My Breedlove. They're good but my Grover 18:1s are really much nicer.

Name:	tuner_swap_web.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	103283
    This shows the Grovers & the OEM tuners side-by-side

Name:	new_tuners_web.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	103284
    Here are the Grovers after install on my md-315.

IMO, the A-style Grovers would be a good upgrade to the OEM tuners on the md-305.

Frank

Thanks for the upgrade advice. I haven't seen an MD-315 with an arm rest on it but I can see how it might be more comfortable to play over long periods. I think eventually I'd like to upgrade the tuners and maybe put on a cast tailpiece. I wonder if I can get an actual Eastman cast tailpiece that will fit.

To stay true to the original design, I think any upgrades I did would stay with the chrome look rather than gold.

Here's another picture of my Eastman taken with my iPhone against a darker background. I think it shows off the binding a little better than the earlier ones.

Name:	Eastman_MD-315.jpg 
Views:	1252 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	103336

So far I'm loving this instrument and playing it an average of 2+ hours a day (night).

I haven't seen an MD-315 with an arm rest on it but I can see how it might be more comfortable to play over long periods.
    Here's a shot of mine with a Cumberland Acoustics armrest:

Name:	MD-315.jpg 
Views:	1184 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	103345

I have since moved the armrest a bit away from the tailpiece up to where my arm passes over the body.

I think eventually I'd like to upgrade the tuners and maybe put on a cast tailpiece. I wonder if I can get an actual Eastman cast tailpiece that will fit.
    From an earlier post you know I'm a fan of the Grover tuners. You probably noticed the cast tailpiece in the first picture, but here's a comparison between old & new:

Name:	tailpiece_OEM_web.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	103347

Name:	tailpiece_web.jpg 
Views:	1042 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	103348

The new one is an Eastman tailpiece I got from The Mandolin Store. The holes do not exactly match, though. I had to fill the old (toothpicks) & drill new ones. The strap button was all but destroyed in the process so I replaced it with an old guitar one I had around.

Name:	md-315_low_web.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	103349

I'm really pleased with these upgrades & think the md-315 is a worthy platform for them. The only upgrade I think is all but "mandatory" :-) on the md-315 would be the tuners. The others really are personal preference (armrest) & aesthetics (tailpiece). For roughly $800 its one heck of a mando & getting better every day!

Frank