Thread: Strings for A2

Default Strings for A2

I just got an A2 from Gruhn's "as is" batch. In really good shape except for a top crack about a half inch below the fingerboard on the treble side. No problem fixing that. Everything original, missing pickguard [don't want it anyway].

I have a "The Loar 500" F5 that i'm going to get rid of now. Always wanted an old A.

I'm not a grasser, play mostly folk and celtic.

Looking for string recommendations. I have a set each of J74 / J62 and a set of GHS Light A250. Looking for some wisdom regarding brand/type gauge for "safety" and tone.

The old girl actually sounds not bad with the strings that are on it but they have to be at least half as old as the mandolin.

It was sold as a 1919. Serial number is faded but looks like 49946. Fon is crisp on the neck block and is 11149.

Mike J

Default Re: Strings for A2

11149 would be 1918, actually. Should be Sheraton brown, aka the "reissue" A2.

Any of those strings will be fine. I like FT74s too.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks for the info.... BTW any hints on a REALLY tight tailpiece cover... slide or lift? And yep it's Sheraton Brown. [Almost neighbors I'm on Lopez Island]

Mike J

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

slide
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I love the thomastik stark (heavy) on my A3

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I currently have Sam Bush monels on my '21 A2. I have hands that kill strings, which is why I tried them . . . but I've decided that, in combination with the aluminum bridge saddle, the tone is not to my liking. Seems sort of brash, to my ear, especially when I dig in, or hit a hard chop.

I haven't had this mandolin very long, so I'll try other strings . . . and maybe replace the aluminum saddle with a wooden one, or a different bridge altogether.
    Clark Beavans

Thanks for the recommendations.... Tailpiece cover and vintage sanding cords...errrr..strings are off. Treble side of the top brace is glued and in clamps [are there any of these that don't need at least one side of that brace re-glued?]. I will work on the afore mentioned top crack tomorrow, but it aligns and closes well so that should not be a problem.
    Mine has the original bridge and everything else, all in excellent condition and working order.
    Onward!
    Mike J

Blog Entries

If the old A is structurally sound, it can take J74s and sound great. In fact, ultra lights will compromise the tone and volume. If the old A does not have enough structural integrity to take the J74 (or equivalent) strings, it probably should not be played at all.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

J74's it will be.... I'll save the the lighter strings for my old "Blue Comet" that is the beach / campfire / camping mando. MJ

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcj View Post
    I just got an A2 from Gruhn's "as is" batch.
    Mike--

In your experience, did you find Gruhn's posted "as is" price to be firm or negotiable?

Thanks,
    Patrick

I would assume that a published price would be non-negotiable. However as in any purchase there is no punishment for making an offer. It is perfectly acceptable and happens all the time. Even more so with used items. The point is that an offer will not offend anyone. After all, that is how they buy them.
    Bart McNeil

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I would assume that a published price would be non-negotiable. However as in any purchase there is no punishment for making an offer. It is perfectly acceptable and happens all the time. Even more so with used items. The point is that an offer will not offend anyone. After all, that is how they buy them.
    I was just wondering if Gruhn might be more open to negotiating in light of the upcoming move. It'd be one less thing to carry.

Patrick

Patrick, I don't as a rule approach the purchase as a negotiation.
    In this case I knew what I was looking for and had looked for months at "asking prices" [and some completed sale prices] for similar items. This particular mando seemed like it two clear issues: the top crack that appeared stable but unrepaired, and the loose traverse brace.
    During my phone conversation for an inhand Q&A that's what I focused on. Gruhn's folks were pretty clear and after receiving the instrument their description was right on the money. In fact the surprise was that in focusing in on the "problems" I neglected asking about the overall, and ended up pleasantly surprised with the condition over all.
    So.... The price was significantly below the average I'd seen for similar instruments.... many with more significant issues ie: extensive seam separations, cracks, neck problems.... The particular crack on this one "is going to leave a mark" so the cosmetic issue for a collector might have been a consideration in their pricing. I wanted a personal player not a fix and flip.
    I know this long ramble doesn't answer your question but I guess I never asked it of Gruhns, so there it is.
    Mike

Well, brace is tight, crack is fixed. Put a set of J74s on it this evening.... and... Oh Lord does she sing pretty.
    MJ

Lets hear it!
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Sounds like you're happy with the J74, which is the canonical choice for old Gibson ovals. I personally found that my 1921 Ajr was a bit non-responsive with J74 and seemed happier with the slightly lighter J73 set, except for the G string which I left at J74. The J73s were introduced by d'Addario relatively recently and many aren't aware of them -- they're very useful if you want strings that sound and feel much like J74s but are a touch lighter.

Martin

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Mona Steel (Sam Bush) strings
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Pete, I put a string order in the other day for a variety of things in the shop right now and will admit to including a set of SBs, just cause I felt like it. I use nickels on my D28 and J45 so who knows. Right now I'm pleased with the current set up and it may inspire me to actually become a mandolin player rather than just a guitar player who occasionally hauls out the mandolin.

Hello from Lopez Island BTW "almost" neighbors.
    Mike

I just took the Bush monels off my '21 A2, and put on a set of J75s (and a set of replacement Stewart Macdonald Golden Age tuning machines, and fixed the pickguard clamp).

I definitely like the J75s better, will probably go with J74s next time. Man, it does take some tension to get the J75s up to pitch . . . I wonder if it'll still be in one piece the next time I open the case.
    Clark Beavans

Best of luck Tree. The old A's are wonderful instruments.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I use j-75's all the time on my A-2. No problems.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

After a couple of days, I'm liking the tone of this old warhorse with the J75s more and more. The mandolin seems to be holding up fine, even with the increased tension.

The new tuners were a significant improvement. I had tried to rehab the old ones as Paul Hostetter outlines on his website, and it worked for the treble side, but I just couldn't bring the bass side around. But even on the treble side, the new ones work a little better. It is so nice to be able to tune this thing and have it stay there!
    Clark Beavans