Thread: Jazz tune in book Mandolin for Dummies

Question Jazz tune in book Mandolin for Dummies

The track 80 of book Mandolin For Dummies is an amazing jazz tune. The harmony seems to be based on the IIm7 V7 Imaj7 progression. Additionally some chromatic arpeggios are strategically inserted in the solo melody.

The track 80 mp3 file is available for downloading at: http://www.dummies.com/Section/id-813211.html

I wonder the name of this song and who is its composer. Maybe some mandolinist colleague who has this book could verify easily this information for me.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Jazz tune in book Mandolin for Dummies

Hi Carlos, "Three Keys" was written by me for specifically for "Mandolin For Dummies". You are correct in that it is based on the ii-V7-I progression. Glad you like it.

3. The following members say thank you to Don Julin for this post:

Default Re: Jazz tune in book Mandolin for Dummies

Quick response from the amazing jazz tune's author Prof. Dummy himself! Good job Don!

5. The following members say thank you to SternART for this post:

Thumbs up Re: Jazz tune in book Mandolin for Dummies

Hi Don Julin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Congradulations for the book "Madolim for Dummies" and this amazing jazz tune!!

Nowadays I am trying to play this song by ear. In near future I intend to take advantage of "Three keys" as a main theme and use the IIm7 V7 Imaj7 harmony basis to practice the major scales into the improvisation context.

For me, it seems to be a good idea for the initial practices of the musical improvisation on the jazz and bossa-nova harmonies.

Musical Regards

Carlos Gomes SJK-SP