Thread: Great music history/theory narratives?

Default Great music history/theory narratives?

Hey,

I am wondering if anybody has any recs for good historical music novels/theory books that describe the evolution in more of a narrative form. Thanks for your suggestions.

Default Re: Great music history/theory narratives?

That's an interesting question... most good music writing I've run into have been interesting rather than entertaining, and the current academic style is to hold back from turning history into a narrative with heroes and villains and problems to be solved. But, having said that, some music books I've enjoyed a lot are:

*the writings of Charles Rosen on 18th century chamber music
    *Blish's "They All Played Ragtime"
    *Shapiro/Hentoffs "Hear Me Talkin' To Ya"
    *the music criticism of Robert Schumann
    *Mann's 'Doctor Faustus'
    *the Swafford Brahms biography (his Ives biography is good, too)
    *"Lou Harrison: Composing a World"

None of these are precisely what you're asking for, though. I usually like reading music biographies, because you can get a lot of good anecdote and historical context and there's a focus to the whole thing that you lose in histories of whole genres or periods. (Also nice: box sets of complete works are getting so cheap that you can buy, say, a complete Beethoven box and the Solomon Beethoven biography and listen to every piece as it's mentioned.) I'm curious to see what ends up in this thread.

3. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

Default Re: Great music history/theory narratives?

Any other thoughts on this? It doesn't have to specifically cover ALL of music...