Thread: Octave Bridge

Default Octave Bridge

I can not find anywhere to buy a good quality ebony bridge for a carved top, f style octave.?. I've sent a few emails to the two bridge makers that I have used before for mandolin bridges, with no reply.?.
    Is there somewhere that keeps these big bridges "on the shelf?" Or one that has been used by someone here?
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Octave Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by afhusband View Post
    I can not find anywhere to buy a good quality ebony bridge for a carved top, f style octave.?. I've sent a few emails to the two bridge makers that I have used before for mandolin bridges, with no reply.?.
    Is there somewhere that keeps these big bridges "on the shelf?" Or one that has been used by someone here?
    Thanks in advance!
    If your going to fit it yourself, which I would assume, you might want to try Weber-their adjustable bridges are very nice. Also Stew-Mac might be a choice. Happy hunting!

Yes I'll fit it myself, & I've tried Weber & Cumberland Acoustic, three times each!?! For some reason, i had not thought about Stew Mac...
    I may test my skills on a chunk of ebony if I can't just buy one. Not wanting to go that way!!

I don't believe you need a special bridge for an archtop octave. Just get a bridge that has the right height range, and set your saddle slots appropriately. It shouldn't need to be that much wider. I do know that Weber make bridges specifically for octave mandolins, which have a propeller-like twist in the base shape. Not a big fan of the look myself, but it does reduce the tendency of the bridge to tip over, so that's a good thing.

I'm not a big fan of the Weber swoop look either, but if they'd sell me one I'd get it!
    The OM bridge is bigger all around, so I wouldn't think a standard mandolin bridge wouldn't work.

Roger Siminoff makes replacement bridges for H1 Mandolas, you could try him.

I'm not a big fan of the Weber swoop look either, but if they'd sell me one I'd get it!
    You said you tried email, but with today's infestation of Spam in everyone's inbox, it's not always the best way to contact people. Try calling the phone number on their web site -- 888.886.7598 -- during business hours, and see if you get a response.

FWIW, I have one of those "swoop" Brekke bridges on my Weber Yellowstone F OM. I don't know if they sell these separately, but if they do, then I think it's a fine design for archtop OM's and worth trying. I can't say what percentage of tone is due to that bridge, but the overall "system" tone is great, and I've never felt a need to change that bridge.

Weber's old web site had a section where you could order any of the bridges, in any of the configurations, separately. Give them a call, I'm sure they'll help you out.

Weber is probably just getting set up in their new location. I'd give them a bit of time for the dust to settle.
    Steve

I might be mistaken, but didn't Vern Brekke post in another thread recently that he will be selling Weber's Brekke bridges directly in the very near future? For newbees who might not know, Vern is Weber's bridge guru. He designed their bridges. He's also an active Cafe member. Let's hope Vern will weigh in on this thread. If not, the OP can contact him through a PM.

Best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I don't know what builders say about whether it's best to have a larger/heavier bridge on an octave, but you definitely do not want to install a bridge that has saddle compensation/offsets patterned for a mandolin (two wound, two unwound courses). That would be my main reason for not simply using a mandolin bridge. You need mandola/OM saddle positions suited for 3 wound/one unwound courses.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Well Bruce Weber has forwarded my info to Vern Brekke. I love his bridges, & didn't even know he made octave bridges. Never seen a Brekke on a Weber OM.?.

And, no I would not use a mandolin bridge, for a number of reasons. I wish I could though...
    I tried microwaving a CA bridge, hoping it would grow... just got hot, damnit!!

Never seen a Brekke on a Weber OM.?.
    Hi afhusband,

My Weber OM has a Brekke bridge on it. I can't say whether it would sound better or worse with another bridge because I am so happy with it as it is, that I'm not about to change bridges. All I can say is that it sounds great with this bridge so I'm sticking with it.

Best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

My Absaroka Mandola has a Brekke...

Never seen a Brekke on a Weber OM.?
    Adding to the chorus, this was a photo about the mic I'm using, but there's a corner of the bridge in the shot of my Yellowstone F OM:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPA4099 03.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	101888
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Absaroka Mandola
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mandola bridge.pdf  

Well let me stand corrected; I have NOW seen OMs with Brekkes!!

Wondering now if anyone has made the change to a Brekke from another bridge? Differences? Likes? Dislikes?

I used to use dola bridges, with a blank saddle so I could cut the proper compensation, but have decided I like the smaller and lighter footprint of a mandolin bridge foot. Since I now make the bridges myself, I use a mandolin size foot but spread the posts a little bit wider to accommodate the wider string spacing of my octaves. (About 5 mm wider). Also, they are properly compensated for the scale length and strings I use. I also make a saddle to compensate for octave courses if I use that instead of unison. Now that is a funky looking bridge saddle!
    Last edited by Austin Clark; May-09-2013 at 8:37am. Reason: Sounded like a sales pitch
    Austin Clark
    http://www.clarkmandolins.com

Clark Mandolins on Facebook

@scrollenvy on Instagram

My Brock OM has a large bridge, much larger than a standard mandolin bridge. I know he builds them himself. Fletcher's OMs have a pretty large body, which might affect what works best. A friend left a Weber Yellowstone A OM with me for a while and between the size of the body and the additional depth I wouldn't be surprised if the Brock has almost twice the internal volume of the Weber. The Brock has about twice the volume, tone, and clarity as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrockOM (12).jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	334.3 KB 
ID:	101950