Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: practicing in private

Question practicing in private

I read a reference to 'playing in the woodshed for years' and it got me to wondering. I tend to practice more when no one is around and I've been wondering why. Is it performance anxiety, or are we being courteous? I do remember once in college a housemate yelled down the hall 'could you PLEASE play something else now!". You guys know when we're learning a new song we sometimes have to play it 10 times in a row to get it down. Do you find it drives people crazy? Why are we practicing in the woodshed? Are other musicians more accommodating, or do you have to have 2 woodsheds in a 2 musician household?
    Kathryn

Blog Entries

Default Re: practicing in private

The ability to ignore the other persons practicing is well developed at my house.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I do practice more when no one else is around, luckily I'm the only night owl in the house so I practice most when everyone else is in bed(turning a box fan on high in the bedroom will drown out almost all picking and most strumming too). But I also practice a lot when everyone else is up - sometimes drives my wife crazy, sometimes she tells me not to stop. Wish I could get a new song down by just playing it 10 times in a row. I bet I've played through the same song 10 times a day for the last week and I can't
    remember the whole thing through yet. I wish I had taken up playing much earlier in life when I could remember so much better and wish I could play by ear too - I just started trying with "Happy Birthday" and if I'm not tone deaf I am at least "tone hard of hearing".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by senglish70 View Post
    ...and wish I could play by ear too - I just started trying with "Happy Birthday" and if I'm not tone deaf I am at least "tone hard of hearing".
    You can do it but it'll take time. It's like a muscle and needs exercise. I live in a two musician household right now and she's a professional while I'm a hack. I play in the house and as long as she has her "cave" (detached garage) to run into I'm OK.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

My best friend went to Berklee and we were roommates together. He took arranging courses and had to learn to play lots of different instruments just a little bit to familiarize himself. In the end, it was the clarinet that broke up our happy home.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Part of the reason I go out and play in bars is the family doesn't like my playing....But I do prefer to practice when no one else is around. May be subconscious, but no one bothers/interrupts me when I'm fixing dinner or doing the dishes, cutting grass, splitting wood, etc. But as soon as I sit down with an instrument its "hey could you help me with...." or "when are you going to fix the..." etc.

Seriously, practicing in private is fine, and preferable, but without regular playing/jamming with others your progress will proceed at about 1/3 speed.

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    ... it was the clarinet that broke up our happy home.
    Spurious effect! The clarinet is actually a very mellifluous and dulcet-sounding instrument...but when it goes wrong--it goes very wrong!...very easy to produce loud, shrieking, SQUEAKS!...with just one finger--any finger--being just a little off. Oboe is another notorious for not being very subtle

Quote Originally Posted by katygrasslady View Post
    Do you find it drives people crazy?

...do you have to have 2 woodsheds in a 2 musician household?
    Yes, crazy. Yes, definitely--two woodsheds

Quote Originally Posted by katygrasslady View Post
    You guys know when we're learning a new song we sometimes have to play it 10 times in a row to get it down.
    If I could 'get it down' after playing something 10 times, I would be thankful. And my wife would be extremely thankful.
    I've run over Jeruselem Ridge so many times it's become Jeruselem Gully.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Spurious effect! The clarinet is actually a very mellifluous and dulcet-sounding instrument...but when it goes wrong--it goes very wrong!...very easy to produce loud, shrieking, SQUEAKS!...with just one finger being just a little off. Oboe is another notorious for not being very subtle
    He was no Benny Goodman, believe me. He wasn't even Steve Allen playing Benny Goodman.

If you are truly practicing~studying and working on technique or phrasing ..... the constant going through a few bars can be brutal for the "other(s)". Piece repetition can certainly lead to non-peace ... but it isn't as tough to take as chunks.

We are a two musician household and do practice in two different areas.

Along the lines of the question ... you may want to read my signature.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

14. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

practicing in private
    to me-its like meditation of sorts
    the metronome, quarters, eigths, sixteenhs, thirty seconds, trem, triplets, endless scales and intervallic stuff, etc.

practicing accuracy, then speed and then the phrases i need to smooth, over and over

while i dont care if someone hears, id rather not worry about it, because im certain its mindnumbing to all else

ten times??!!!! -thats nothing-its ten, plus the ten for each advance of the metronome to gather speed and accuracy in muscle memory, and another 40 for every phrase that i cant get, or, that i need to learn to 'imbed' so thoroughly i can recover if i get derailed at speed and have to come back in

this music stuff is a PITA......LOL

and thats why i practice in the music room , with the door shut when my wife is around-the dogs have yet to protest
    or the basment when the amps are used

when i would hear my son practice/ play, who l dearly love and i love his music, enough is enough
    even with him-im usre he felt the same

I find I can focus better when practicing in private..

My kids grew up listening to me practice. Once they learned to play their instruments, they already knew a lot of bluegrass tunes.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Blog Entries

I tend to practice boring stuff, at least boring to listen to. Scales and arpeggios and exercises and stuff. The advantage is there is not much entertainment value - nothing catches the casual listener's mind. Easy to ignore.

When I work on a tune however, I do prefer to be alone. It can be just as boring I am sure, especially if one does not care for the tune I am working on.

When I practice the fiddle I am irritating, so I try to do that entirely alone. I even wish I wasn't there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

My hubby has excellent hearing, and the ability to tune me out. He's gotten used to my noisy hobbies. Before music, there was weaving, which has it's own weird rhythm (thunk, rattle, clunk, thunk, rattle, clunk).
    We don't have a music room, so I sit on the piano bench (facing away from the ivories) and pick and strum. He tunes it out, unless something weird comes out and then he'll mention it (so I can make it stop). Strumming is hard for him to tune out, though. My mandolins do project the sound in our little house!
    Occasionally, I can sing in front of him, but I do have that "performance anxiety" then.
    I do sneak in a little extra practice time in the morning when I'm alone (he works nights), when I should be getting ready to leave for work...
    I'm glad that the season is almost spring-like or summery (we've had snow every Thursday for 3 weeks now!), so I can try playing on the deck or in the enclosed porch.
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

Quote Originally Posted by senglish70 View Post
    wish I could play by ear too - I just started trying with "Happy Birthday" and if I'm not tone deaf I am at least "tone hard of hearing".
    "Happy Birthday" is kind of a tough tune to play by ear, IME. I can play OK by ear, but I find it a lot harder than most other simple melodies. I think it has some big jumps and it doesn't start on the tonic.

I tend to play when no one else is around. I have played the saxophone on and off for many years. When I first started I enjoyed the alto sax. I progressed to tenor, but the last straw for the ex girlfriend was the Baritone Sax. She said "either that sewer pipe goes or I do". Well she was the first to go and Baritone left later. I do miss that horn, nothing gets your attention like one of those. Kind of sounds like a ocean-liner in the living room.

Practice is essential for a musician and those in the house understand that. My playing is pretty much ignored...but my beagle is usually at my side. However, I always get pulled away to do this or that and it frustrates the crap out of me. Therefore, I play late at night but try not to play too loud.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

23. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

My wife doesn't even complain anymore.... She just endures my efforts. But in fact if possible I believe one needs privacy to practice anything effectively, or an instrument for sure... No one wants to hear your mistakes but wihout mistakes no one improves. some people feel that to hear someone practice should be "entertaining" but it never is.
    Bart McNeil

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

Both my wife and my son suffer from migraines, so I seldom practice with them around. I did buy a Mandobird VIII so I can practice with them in the same house, just not the same room. It seemed to be the best compromise.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The ability to ignore the other persons practicing is well developed at my house.
    At my house too!
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

i (and the dog!) tend to wake up first in our household,
    so it's coffee and playing/practice for me
    while watching the
    morning emerge over the east coast.
    although i am more comfortable now with playing
    when the others start shuffling around in the kitchen
    as i'm getting a little better...

i only get ribbed by the wife when i play something on
    the 'twangy' side, as her tastes don't quite go there...!
    Tony Hannock
    ..long live the small fish..

gibson #28855 1916A
    hester #026 F4, hester true A5..#034

joe gallacher '1' size and 00-21 12 fretters.
    gibson lg-0 '68 (wood bridge, solid spruce top)
    eastman slope shoulder jumbo (E10SS)
    '63 strat, gibson '68 ES-335, guitar mill tele '53 Black Guard

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Yes, practising is 80% bad music and bad music can be torture (they tried it with Manuel Noriega). I have different scenarios and different motivations:

- in the house: I practise with my acoustic instrument and loudly so, because my two neighbors are loud themselves sometimes, and this is my way to say thank you; as a side effect, it helps build the bloodymindedness I need for a calm performance.

- in the backyard or in a hotel room: I practise with my electric instrument and earphones - too many people around whom I either don't know or who don't deserve to be tortured.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I'd much rather practice with nobody around, it's easier for me to stay focused and get things right. I have to put my dog in the other room and shut the door, she sings along. We have sort of a stalemate there.

My ex basically doesn't like the sound of the mandolin. It was hard practicing anywhere in the house when she was around, knowing that it bothered her. That problem simply went away.

My upstairs neighbor says he doesn't mind hearing me practicing one bit, in fact he claims he's tempted to come down and listen and watch. I bet he'd feel differently once he got a taste of what the repetition and stopping and starting and breaking down into phrases and the metronome is really like up close. But I'm glad he doesn't mind it coming up through the floors at him every morning.

I usually practice alone in the bedroom with the door shut. Not so much to keep my wife from hearing me, but to block out the noise from that damnable television that she insists on owning (and using). I'll also play on the front porch when the weather is nice. No neighbors within earshot. If I want a receptive audience, I'll play for my horses. They love the mandolin, and will crowd around me out of curiosity. Sometimes I have to swat them away because they get right in my face.