Thread: Mandolin Post Set-Up Question

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

Default Mandolin Post Set-Up Question

Hey Everyone,
    I have a quick question for you guys. I recently got my mandolin set up by the very talented guys at Maple Street Guitars and made my mandolin sound the best that it will ever sound being a $500 instrument. Back when I posted a question about intonation on the forums, people mentioned that once I had the bridge set in the right place, I should somehow mark where the bridge is so that I don't lose it. Some people mentioned using a pencil or something to lightly mark it. I just wondering if there is a safe more permanent way to mark the placement of the bridge. Thanks!

Sorry for the length of this post. Summary: Whats a good, SAFE way to mark the bridge position on my mandolin?

Default Re: Mandolin Post Set-Up Question

The best and safest thing to do is to learn to set the intonation by setting the bridge so that fretting the strings at the 12th fret yields perfect octaves. That can be done by comparing the fretted strings with chimed octaves, comparing the octave to the open strings by ear, or by using a very accurate and sensitive electronic devise.
    Relying on a marked physical measurement does not take action adjustments, different string gauges, or any other variations into account. It is not necessary to mark the bridge position, and IMO, it is not advisable.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

When you change strings, intonate also as John said. Strike an open string and then the same string at the 12th fret. The should measure exactly the same note (the correct note for that string) an octave apart. If not, move the bridge forward or back depending on whether the 12th fret note is sharp or flat (forward if flat, back if sharp) until they match. Start with the outside strings and get them dead on. Work in from there.
    When changing strings, loosen all strings a few turns, but leave all on except the one you are changing. This will make your life much easier.
    Absolutely no need to mark the instrument.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

5. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Good advice above. You can temporarily mark it by lightly placing a piece of painter's tape along one side of the bridge. Sometimes it's easy to knock it out of place when you are learning to change the strings. Don't use any other kind of tape or it could mess up the finish, and don't leave the tape on there any longer than necessary. It is also easy to accidentally turn one or both thumb screws and change the height when there is less tension on the saddle, so you could temporarily tape the thumb screws. Of necessity, you will need to learn how to make these basic adjustments. Fear not. After you restring, use your electronic tuner to check the intonation and move the bridge a little bit if necessary.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Not a sterling idea to irreversibly mark the top of the mandolin for bridge location as it will vary over time with different strings, string height, humidity, etc. Better to do it by ear.
    So chi sono.

Here is what I do and have done for many, many years....I find that once I get the intonation set the way I like it I make sure I always buy the same brand and gauge of strings and change them ONE AT A TIME...I never loosen all of the strings at the same time unless I am going to clean or do some other work on the mandolin...Different people have different ways of doing things and I am sure the OP will find a way that he likes to do things as time goes by....Also you could take a close up photo looking straight down on the top of the mandolin and always refer back to that if the bridges does ever move...The best way to do it to use the octave method as described above if it isn`t correct when you change strings...I do have one mandolin that is distressed and it has some very fine lines made by a needle showing where the bridge is best seated for my liking but I don`t suggest that for any good quality mandolin....

Willie

You only need to mark your bridge position if you're ever going to remove all the strings at once,say for giving your mandolin a good cleaning every now & then. I use a couple of pieces of 'low tack' masking tape,placed on the mandolin top at each end of the bridge foot,on which i mark the front & back positions - if you only mark one,you might forget whether it's front or back.Otherwise,if you're only changing strings,do them one pair at a time & your bridge should remain exactly where it is. I put a new tailpiece on one of my mandolins last week & had to remove all the strings & the bridge.I marked the bridge position as i outlined above & when i re-strung it,the bridge position was still spot on,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

If I have to take all the strings off a mandolin for some repair or setup reason (I always change strings one at a time) then I mark the bridge position with masking tape, just as Tommando and Ivan have described, and then use that as a starting position for intonation when restringing.