Thread: Very Very affordable Mandocello Alert!

Default Very Very affordable Mandocello Alert!

I played a Wishnevsky at Bernunzio's today. Asking price $250. No case. That's a foot in the door for a very reasonable price for the 'cello curious.

Default Re: Very Very affordable Mandocello Alert!

Wish has produced some good instruments at very reasonable prices - no fancy woods or 'perfect' finishing but they are - or can be made - playable...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Wish has produced some good instruments at very reasonable prices - no fancy woods or 'perfect' finishing but they are - or can be made - playable...
    This one is very playable and sounds OK. It really needs new strings. The heel on this instrument is huge and access past the 7th fret becomes difficult. Overall I kind of like it.

I've been thinking about this one. Interesting opportunity. Really cool looking instrument. How often do you see a campfire mandocello? So I checked Bernunzio's website yesterday and it was on hold. Just for fun I called this morning and they said it was now available again. I asked about price and they came down quite a bit. I confess, there is a power greater than myself. I bought the instrument. I look forward to hearing it with new strings. I'll pick it up when I'm in Rochester for the International Society of Bassists convention in a few weeks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boombloom View Post
    ... Just for fun I called this morning and they said it was now available again. I asked about price and they came down quite a bit. I confess, there is a power greater than myself. I bought the instrument. I look forward to hearing it with new strings. I'll pick it up when I'm in Rochester for the International Society of Bassists convention in a few weeks.
    Cool! Congratulations!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Please post pics when you get it!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

...I checked Bernunzio's website yesterday and it was on hold. Just for fun I called this morning and they said it was now available again. I asked about price and they came down quite a bit….I bought the instrument….
    Yeah, I walked into John's the next day, wanted to try it out, and found it was sold. Not that I was actually going to buy it, since I have two mandocelli already, but I wanted to see what it was like.

They told me that since it popped up on the Cafe, they'd received a lot of inquiries about it; it had been in the store for awhile, but there was a sudden increase in interest. Shows that people do act on these Cafe posts.

Oh, and regarding pictures: these are still up on Bernunzio's website.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default got it!

Picked up the 'cello today. New strings! I like it. It's fun. And i can leave it just sitting around. Can't put it in the case 'cause there is none. It's not a pristine pretty instrument, so if the cats play with it or my 9 year old picks it up there's no problem. Sounds pretty good. A campfire mandocello. I'm ready for summer. By the way, I'm in town for the International Society of Bassists Convention. Right next door to Bernunzio's. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ...these are still up on Bernunzio's website.
    Not any more.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Not any more.
    I'm still at the Bass Convention. I'll put up pics when I get home.

Did you catch anything? - besides the Wish...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Did you catch anything? - besides the Wish...
    I bought a bass bow at the convention. Bernunzio is having a HUGE sale right now and I was afraid to look around. That place is amazing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6416.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	103108 Safe and sound at home.

Blog Entries

Wonderful!

Is that a bone bridge? I was also wondering how wide the nut is and how high the action is set? Are you getting any buzzing or rattle when you fret the C and G courses? Looks like you have D'Addario J78's on it?

One thing I really like is the very mild angle between the nut and the the tuner peg (in this case spool) -- this certainly make s tuning those heavy strings much easier.

Sure be interesting to hear this beast!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Wonderful!

Is that a bone bridge? I was also wondering how wide the nut is and how high the action is set? Are you getting any buzzing or rattle when you fret the C and G courses? Looks like you have D'Addario J78's on it?

The nut and bridge appear to be corian! It's that mysterious synthetic material used for countertops. I have not measured the nut but it is quite narrow. Much, much more narrow than my Eastman Cello. This is one of the reasons I am enjoying this instrument so much. The action is great, and without changing the nut or bridge it is quite unadjustable. Rattle and buzz are minimal except high up the neck, which is largely unaccessible anyway. I asked the shop to put new strings on it. I have no idea what's on there. I'll ask. They are pretty beefy, so very possible they're 78s.

One thing I really like is the very mild angle between the nut and the the tuner peg (in this case spool) -- this certainly make s tuning those heavy strings much easier.

Sure be interesting to hear this beast!
    Someone has already posted youtube video of a Wish Mandocello. I am shy about my playing at this point, so for now that will have to do. I will say however, that the new strings have made a huge difference and that the instrument is already opening up a great deal since I picked it up (pun intended). This Wish apparently came to Bernunzio's from an owner in the NYC area who might not have played it al that much. I am enjoying it a great deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN6416.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	103108 Safe and sound at home.
    This thing is really growing on me. I just leave it sitting out. I grab it whenever I get a few minutes. It's comfortable to play sitting down. It has strap buttons but I haven't tried to play it standing up yet. Scale length is just about 23" and overall length is 35". It continues to open up more and more. I haven't played my Eastman since my Wish came true.

It sure is exotic looking. That sideways photo (which would be kinda close to its playing position) makes it resemble the profile of some kind of unusual beast or bird. Happy to read that you're enjoying it so much. I "wish" I could hear it!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel