Thread: Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist

Mel Bay Publications, Inc. has announced the release of Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist by Todd Collins, a collection of tools to help improve one's knowledge of the fretboard.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist

Quote Originally Posted by NewsFetcher View Post
    The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist

Mel Bay Publications, Inc. has announced the release of Fretboard Studies for the Improvising Mandolinist by Todd Collins, a collection of tools to help improve one's knowledge of the fretboard.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Nice! I'll be on the lookout for this one.

Mel Bay does it again! A whopping 3 sample pages, so you know exactly what you are buying--and one of those pages is a circle of 5ths chart!

It looks like it could be an interesting book, but I wouldn't risk my money with so little information.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

4. The following members say thank you to JonZ for this post:

I purchased this book and though I do have a couple of complaints I would recommend it highly to Intermediate/Advanced players that are searching for the secrets of improvisation. The is largely a very thorough set of exercises that are really interesting and fun. I have been playing mandolin for 10 years now and in the last 5 have been practicing a couple hours a day almost everyday. This book showed me some really cool ways to practice and see the Fretboard in some ways I haven't been able to see as of yet. The exercises range from closed position scales, arpeggios double stops, single string shifting... a whole bunch really cool ones. If your interested in understanding the fretboard completely (if you want to improvise you had better) this book is worth it.

I would not recommend it for beginners and I have found a few typos that kind of pissed me off. Other than that I love it.
    1920 Gibson F2

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gorman View Post
    I purchased this book and though I do have a couple of complaints I would recommend it highly to Intermediate/Advanced players that are searching for the secrets of improvisation. The is largely a very thorough set of exercises that are really interesting and fun. I have been playing mandolin for 10 years now and in the last 5 have been practicing a couple hours a day almost everyday. This book showed me some really cool ways to practice and see the Fretboard in some ways I haven't been able to see as of yet. The exercises range from closed position scales, arpeggios double stops, single string shifting... a whole bunch really cool ones. If your interested in understanding the fretboard completely (if you want to improvise you had better) this book is worth it.

I would not recommend it for beginners and I have found a few typos that kind of pissed me off. Other than that I love it.
    The Author discusses this book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMYvSYLDWM
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Aug-24-2014 at 8:58am. Reason: youtube changed the rules of their web addresses