Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killer deal on Kentucky KM 900 Master Model A

Formerly "Porschefan" Stephen Porter's Avatar

Default Killer deal on Kentucky KM 900 Master Model A

In researching a possible purchase of KM 900, I ran across these:

Kentucky KM-900 Master A Model Mandolin, Vintage 1920 Sunburst Nitrocellulose Lacquer

If these are legit, and they certainly look to be, it is a killer deal--almost as low as the lowest-priced used KM 900 on the classifieds here. There were 4 available earlier this evening. Now down to 3 so check them out if you're interested. They say more are on their way, but my experience with Amazon is that prices are very volatile and when "more" arrive they might not at the same price. Also, if you are an Amazon PRIME member, shipping is free and probably no tax either.

Also they don't come with cases and the one reviewer warns that they will require a setup.

I have NO affiliation with the seller (obviously) and I'm tempted to buy one (or more myself) but it's not really what I want so I'm throwing it out here in the hopes that someone else can take advantage of it. Building up good karma and all that ya know.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a newb and there may be something fishy about these that I'm not aware of, so do your own due diligence before deciding to get one.

Default Re: Killer deal on Kentucky KM 900 Master Model A

Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    Also, if you are an Amazon PRIME member, shipping is free and probably no tax either.
    Actually shipping is free with or without the PRIME membership.

Nothing fishy about these, Amazon briefly offered a similar deal in 2011. I managed to get a KM1000 with a similar level of discount and couldn't be more pleased with it.

I bought one from them when it was at $500. No brainer at that price as I can do set ups myself. Bought a used A hard case for $35 too. These are excellent mandolins for the beginner or pro. Hard to beat the price on the quality of materials and workmanship. When you got something this good and do get a pro set up it's a super deal.

Well...I just bought one
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I bought one from them when it was at $500. No brainer at that price as I can do set ups myself. Bought a used A hard case for $35 too. These are excellent mandolins for the beginner or pro. Hard to beat the price on the quality of materials and workmanship. When you got something this good and do get a pro set up it's a super deal.
    When were they at $500--recently? This may be a deal that comes and goes. Still 2 left--very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    Well...I just bought one
    Darryl - let us know what you think of it when it arrives.

When were they at $500--recently? This may be a deal that comes and goes. Still 2 left--very tempting.
    Black Friday week deal in 2011 if I remember correctly.

Thats a good price indeed, unless you live in California, then by the time you add tax, a case, and setup, TMS has them everyday for about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    Darryl - let us know what you think of it when it arrives.
    I went ahead and paid $33 to have it arrive tomorrow
    www.f5journal.com

Good move. Sometimes that heavy duty hardshell cardboard box it comes in does not hold up to heavy UPS handling. I don't look for the Black Friday thing to happen again. That was right in the middle of the double dipped recession and we are out of that now

Amazon is becoming the Wal-Mart of the internet. My Nephew bought a new American Standard Telecaster last summer for almost $150.00 less (w/free shipping) than Musicians Friend, Sam Ash or Sweetwater. The Tele (Butterscotch) showed up in perfect condition and just needed a tweak or two and it was ready to go. The box was the original Fender box (unopened) but hey at those prices who cares? They will kill the competition as soon as folks get past the buying a musicial instrument from a Book Store...
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Amazon now says they have one left - at $953.67. Congrats to those who purchased at over $300 less. Play the heck out of your new Kentucky!

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

I'll pass and wait for one of you guys to ding mine up

We will see how this works out tomorrow when I get it. What you don't know is that I'm sitting here with 6-8 new cases to put it in, my better bridges and my new A5 pick guards that I have not released yet (except one to F5Loar for his). The guards are made directly off my in hand visit with the real Loar A5 and its original guard
    www.f5journal.com

I have seen a lot of variation in color and wood quality on these. I saw F5Loars a few months back. It looked great and sounds really good and I installed one of my new guards

I'll post pic of the pig in a poke I get here
    www.f5journal.com

I had one for a while...sold it back to the member I bought it from and now it has come back up again...great mando on the used market for sure...wish I didn't need to sell it...actually missing it a little.

The color tends to be very light tobacco cremona shading on the early ones (first year or so) and the later ones more like the original Loar A5 darker tobacco cremona shading. Personally I like the darker ones. And there was a change in binding too as well as neck thickness. The newer necks more to Loar specs.

Ok. Got it. Very nice. Yes it arrived in a China wedge shaped box the size of the mandolin. I cannot post pics right now, but it was half ass set up, I tightened the strings, never touched the bridge and it plays nicely and is in 12th fret position with ok intonation

I'll let it settle, raise the action some and go from there. Great deal

In this specific case, the sides are plain, back medium curl. ( more or less like mynLoar). The top is extremely tight grain that surprises me. F5Loar example had even wide grain top

More to come, but....buy this if you have a chance at the $660 price, I should have bought all three

Darryl
    www.f5journal.com

20. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post:

I hesitate to bring this up here, but I really want to know what happened.

The day after I posted about this deal here, I went to Amazon to check and see if any were left. I had put the item in my PRIVATE "wishlist" on Amazon. When I clicked on the mando in my wish list, I got a dialog box saying "Someone may have purchased this for you." And then: "Someone DID purchase this for you." Of course I am a great guy and all, but I was pretty sure no one had decided to send me a new KM 900, so I called Amazon and was told that, yes, someone had purchased one of these, but it had not been shipped to any of the addresses I have on file at Amazon. They would not tell me where it had been shipped or who had bought it. Now, my concern on this is that my Wish List is flagged as PRIVATE and should not have been visible to anyone. So, if someone here actually purchased one by going through my wish list, I need to know about it or I have to assume that my Amazon account was compromised. Sorry to bring this up, but I posted this info only here and in private emails to two Cafe members who had instruments in the classifieds. Hope to hear that someone innocently found their way onto my Wishlist.

Of course I have my eye on the brown truck of joy....but somehow I'm pretty sure that a brand-new KM900 isn't going to show up at my doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    I went ahead and paid $33 to have it arrive tomorrow
    Didn't you get the free trial of Amazon Prime offer?

I'm pretty sure that a brand-new KM900 isn't going to show up at my doorstep.
    I can't think of any reason why anyone here would have any reason to access your Amazon wishlist. So hopefully the system has worked as it should, and someone close to you has indeed decided to treat you. Let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    I can't think of any reason why anyone here would have any reason to access your Amazon wishlist. So hopefully the system has worked as it should, and someone close to you has indeed decided to treat you. Let's hope so.
    I can't either. If it were a malicious action whoever did it would have bought a bunch of stuff--not the case. Oh well, one of those little mysteries. No harm no foul.

I bought a 'used' KM-900 from the classifieds about two years ago. One of the earlier models, with the larger, lighter shaded sunburst, and triple binding on both front and back. Other than the minor cosmetic differences, mine and F5loar's are really close in feel, tone and action. I had Lynn Dudenbostel put a finger-rest on mine; Lynn also had a template he made from the Loar A-5.
    Overall, very satisfied with the instrument.

This is the kind of retail that just kills the brick and mortar stores. If you like the service, convenience of playing an instrument, etc. I think it behooves the public to pay a little more to keep the mom and pops around. Just sayin...

27. The following members say thank you to chip for this post: