Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Terrible singer in the band

Yep, I'm glad some people got entertainment value out of my predicament. I can now look at it with some degree of humor. Thankfully I'm free of the woman (ex-wife) who created so much upheaval in my life. Now things have settled down quite nicely.
    "Experience has shown that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Make her join the Board and read this thread.

Seriously, bringing this problem to public attention
    is, to me, utterly unethical.

Emabarrasment will do the trick. When she starts singin everyone stop playing the instruments and stare. It will make her feel just great. There is nothing like knowing that you are wrong. It makes it feel like you dont exist.

run!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Hackman @ Mar. 19 2005, 02:08)
    Seriously, bringing this problem to public attention
    is, to me, #utterly unethical.
    Geeez, next yer gonna be tellin' us we can't post in our underwear, huh?
    mandollusional Mike

In the spirit of not letting this thead die, I'm reminded of an interview I saw of George Clooney about filming "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". He related that before they got Dan Tyminski to voice-over his singing, he went into the studio and actual tried to belt out Man of Constant Sorrow. He thought he doing really well and then started looking around the studio and noone would make eye contact. He finally figured out that his singing sucked. He did mention he was quite embarrassed to be a Clooney and not be able to sing.

A wooden stool with Whoopie cushion!

Quote Originally Posted by (kvk @ Mar. 16 2005, 16:06)
    Donna G's vocals were okay in the studio. #Couldn't sing fer squat live. #Off key a lot and didn't know her limitations and would end up screaming (of course Bobby never knew his limitations on slide either and would occasional sink into what I could only describe as pterydactyl screaches when singing).

I also found Kieth's piano way to plinky plinky for me. #Some of the mid-70s JG Band stuff with him on piano makes me cringe.
    I have the Dead's movies, and agree completely re: Godchaux. The Dead had weird taste in keyboard players, too. #Granted, Pigpen could only play R&B, but who cared? #Keith is less than wonderful most of the time, but occasionally had his moments. How they ever got Bruce Hornsby in is beyond me. #Technically proficient, but everything he plays sounds the same.

Ever hear about Linda Eastman and Wings? #She'd sing, but they'd shunt her mike out of the mix. #I've heard some tapes of her in front, the band in the background, and it is impossibly vile. #No sense of riddum or pitch.
    Gene R. Rankin (a CheeseHead)
    Phoenix custom Deluxe

To the Donna discussion I must add that (although I haven't listened to Europe '72 in a long time and don't really remember her being on it) I never liked her either, but she was better in the studio. While '72 is a "live" album it is basically only the instruments that are live. Most of, if not all, the vocals were later overdubbed in the studio.

I have one rule about singers. No singers. No singers who don't play an instrument that is. With only one exception, if they are truly great musicians (even a singer can occasionally be a musician) and they must be beautiful, gender not specific Wouldn't you know I play in a band now led by two women singers who are a bit on the frumpy side

Try the "Robert Blake Method"
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)