Thread: Merlefest :

Blog Entries

Default Merlefest :

This is the only time I have been to Merlefest. Going this Friday..... Never could afford it, although I only live about a hour or so away....... My wife and I were given tickets from a freind.... Is anyone else from here going? Or have any of ya'll gone before ? .....I'm more interested in seeing the vendors, a chance to pick high price mandolins I could never have, than seeing/hearing any band playing..... If any of ya'll have been are there lots of vendors ?..... thanks for any replies...

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Merlefest :

300win,

I haven't spent as much time at Merlefest as many on this forum, but I've been 6-8 times over the past 15 years I guess. Great chance to see lots of music.

Very important to download the stage schedules and map out where and when the groups you want to see are playing.

There are so many things going on simultaneously that you really have to plan ahead to take advantage of what you want to see.

There is a large vendor tent to the left of the main stage where the instrument vendors show their products. Always fun. Often there are sales on strings and such. I remember buying EXP strings at $5 per set.

There's an area with multiple jamming tents, each labeled for genre where folks jam pretty continuously. All welcome.
    A very large tent where lots of vendors sell food of all varieties is also near the main stage.

I don't care for large crowds, so one day is usually plenty for me. I make it a point to see Mandomania on Saturday afternoon, led by Tony Williamson, where 9 or 10 mandolin players take turns playing the same tune, but there are lots of great things to see. In my mind, it's a must see thing for anyone in the region, at least once.

I think you'll like it.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

Thanks Phil. We are only going for Friday. I, like you ,don't care for large crowds, never have. But after being at countless fiddler's conventions and festtivals many years ago, and always picking at them, the crowds kinda fade away, esp. if you get hooked up with some other good musicians. When not playing in a band, I always seeked out musicians that were higher caliber than I that needed a mandolin player, always made me play better, and always a learning experiance. So, at my wife's insistance I'll drag my little 'ol A-9 with me in it's lite-case, just in case I find someone that needs a old, broken down, slow picker. But I told her if I hit a vendor's tent with instruments in it I never will be able to own... then she's gonna have to be the bearer of my A while I 'pick away'. Shw will. She's a good gal. Always supported my picking { now for 35 years of the 49 I been playing }, and actually got mad at me the two times I quit picking in my life. So I'll keep in mind what you told me. " God bless the Tarheel boys".....Gen. Robert E. Lee.

I haven't been in several years, may go.

Does anyone know if Tony Rice will be floating around?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I haven't been in several years, may go.

Does anyone know if Tony Rice will be floating around?
    Alan he ain't listed on Friday's venue. Not sure about the Saturday. You can go to merlefest website and see who all is picking. I looked at it and the only Bluegrass band I saw on there that I've heard of is the Steep Canyon Rangers, saw them at Jomeokee a couple years ago. They are about the only band on there that I would actually pause long enough to listen to.As I said, for me it's gonna be all about how many differant mandolins, guitars, and banjers I can get ahold of.

Blog Entries

....well I went.... not impressed....only good thing as far as music about it was Russel Moore and his band...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 300win View Post
    ....well I went.... not impressed....only good thing as far as music about it was Russel Moore and his band...
    Wow! I wasn't there and music is subjective and a personal experience. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but..dang.. I checked out the line up after I read this post and pretty sure there where some other notable "also ran's" in there.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

It does seem MF has less and less bluegrass bands as the years go on. With 13 stages going at once it is also likely you will miss someone you want to see. Lots of walking to go from stage to stage and there is no overlap on times. Those vendor tents are not the best place to try out an instrument either. I could usually get a good deal on GHS strings and stock up. The fact that Jackson Music has been bringing the same Gibson instruments for the past 5 or 6 years tells me they aren't selling much or else their prices are too high.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    It does seem MF has less and less bluegrass bands as the years go on. With 13 stages going at once it is also likely you will miss someone you want to see. Lots of walking to go from stage to stage and there is no overlap on times. Those vendor tents are not the best place to try out an instrument either. I could usually get a good deal on GHS strings and stock up. The fact that Jackson Music has been bringing the same Gibson instruments for the past 5 or 6 years tells me they aren't selling much or else their prices are too high.
    Yea, I knew about the differant stages, the friends who gave us the tickets for Friday have been going for years. It's just that due to my continuing health issues, I can't much 'hoof it' anyore like I used to. As far as Jackson's prices, I got a good deal on both of the mandolins I purchased from them, and great service also.

Blog Entries

Has MF gotten so big that it's all sprawled out and there's 10 bands going at once? That's too bad. I can't seem to enjoy those events much especially if you have to run around and fight shoulder to shoulder crowds. I went to the first Austin City Limits Music Festival and loved it. It was huge but you could walk around from stage to stage without trouble and see the acts. Two years later it was so popular the mass of people turned the park into a dust bowl and you had to show up to the big name acts early to get near the stage or watch from far away.

I showed early at one stage, stayed for 10 minutes and tried to leave but it was impossible. The crowd was packed shoulder to shoulder and I couldn't move except to jump in the emergency lane. Made me so claustrophobic I never went back. Corporate sponsorships and ads everywhere. I know that money makes the world go around but when all I see are ads, mobs of folks and the music is swallowed up, I get sad and it's not so fun anymore.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Yeah. I'm getting the same feeling. I've been numerous times in the past and often had a great time.

I enjoyed the Snyder Family Band, Michael Martin Murphey, and Mandomania on Saturday. (Even though it started raining half way through Mandomania.)
    The likelihood of my returning is certainly decreasing.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Was Rice around?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Was Rice around?
    No Tony Rice at MF this year. Del McCoury Band with Preservation Hall Jazz was one of my favorites this year---they were cooking!!
    Russ Jordan

Who was on stage for the Mandomania?

Williamson, Bush, Compton, Aaron Ramsey, Jenny Lynn Gardner, and guy from Chatham Cty Line
    Russ Jordan

Thanks, Russ. And no mando contest, I guess?

No mandolin contest. Tony did a Loar tasting, but I wasn't able to make it.
    Russ Jordan

I have attended Merlefest of the last 17 years and seen numerous changes that in many instances boil down to economics and who is controlling the festival. In my opinion, many of the artists that have been there in the past are not being invited or not choosing to attend because of the how much Merlefest is willing to pay. Same goes for the vendors tent. Luthiers have dropped like flies as the cost of being in the tent has increased. Lowes control has added layer upon layer of corporate like rules that takes away some of the festival's soul each year.

That being said, I had a wonderful time this year. Sometimes the stage schedules cause you to miss acts you want to see. This year the planets aligned. If you didn't think there was much bluegrass, you were at the wrong stages. Jim Lauderdale, Steep Canon, III Time Out, Mountain Heart, Peter Rowan Rhonda Vincent, Nashville Bluegrass Band, and more. Also Merlefest has always been a full bore Americana festival with literally something for everyone. I personally don't care much for the Branson/ Biloxi country acts but can appreciate the fact that a lot of folks do. Give me the joy that is always at the Hillside Album Hour with the Waybacks. Mike Ferris, the guest vocalist for the Waybacks this year, kicked butt. So did Del and the Preservation Hall Band

I will continue to support Merlefest. It is an experience deserves support and still has much soul to spare.
    Jeff A

This was my fifth year. Dug Leon Russell, Preservation Hall Jazz Band w/Del McCoury Band, Michael Martin Murphey, Bryan Sutton w/David Holt & T. Michael Coleman, Kruger Brothers, Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, Mountain Heart, Nashville Bluegrass Band, Quebe Sisters, Steep Canyon Rangers (for this band, the drums supplied the driving rhythm the banjo player always lacked -- they've come a long way) and The Waybacks Album Hour ("Before the Flood", Dylan and The Band, 1974).

Also jammed 'til 3 a.m. three nights in a row at Sewerfest campground -- best ever!

The rain Sunday morning was another story...
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling