Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Does anybody on this forum prefer a pick that is not a bluechip?

Default Re: anybody on this forum prefer a pick that is not a bluechip?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbm55 View Post
    I also like Wegen's tone but find them a bit harder to hold.
    Even the ones with the holes in them?

Default Re: Does anybody on this forum prefer a pick that is not a bluech

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Are not they all just flat picks? From some of the questions that I see it seems that some think mando picks are not flat picks , like flat picks are for guitars and some other pick is for mandolin. As I see it, of all the various sizes, shapes, textures, edges and thicknesses of flat picks, some combination of the above will be useful an individual for whatever use, mandolin or guitar or whatever. Nevertheless, your Dawg and my BC are simply flat picks.
    Well, okay. However, what I find particularly useful for mandolin is its (Dawg pick) NON-flatness--on the edges

I have a blue chip some of the new v picks and I find I keep goin back to my Wegen! I also like playin with a teardrop style pick somewhere between medium and heavy kinda like the sound of a pick that bends a little at times. Could be any brand too some just sound good randomly. Back in the day they didn't have all the new tech and sometimes an old fender pick sounds great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Well, okay. However, what I find particularly useful for mandolin is its (Dawg pick) NON-flatness--on the edges
    From the Dawgs I have, I'm assuming you mean the so-called round bevel. I agree, I don't like a "speed" bevel at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    From the Dawgs I have, I'm assuming you mean the so-called round bevel. I agree, I don't like a "speed" bevel at all.
    What's a "speed" bevel?

I simply bought a bunch of Dawgs after trying one years ago, and so haven't bothered with anything else (I don't play much mando). Prior to that I liked the GG, but after acquiring a Dawg--I could never use a GG again. Big difference. My back-up (if I can find it) is Jazz mando. The pro plec looks good, but I've never had the opportunity or compulsion to try it. I'm sure there are several which I would find suitable

for the other plectrum instruments--I've used so many

As far as I can see I'm only the second here to sing the praises of the Wegen Dipper, though in my case 1mm. I love it for cittern, and though I've been settled on Ultex 1.14 for mandolin AND guitar for a long time, I'm finding my way with the Dipper for guitar too. Still prefer the Ultex for mandolin, until I drop the thing on a bare wooden dancefloor........

I recently started using the Dawg II pick. It seems to bring out the tone a little better than others I've used.

you know what is strange, I started a blue chip pick thread a while ago because I was and still am very impressed by the tone and feel, but, I am using my Wegen M 150 almost exclusively for practice sessions anymore, just feels right in my hand? tone is not quite as good but hey? I keep choosing it for some reason.
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

I have a BC CT55 and numerous styles of vpicks but I prefer my wegens T140
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

I have used Blue Chips (and am going to try the SR series), but really like Red Bears, Dawgs and Pro-Plecs the best.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.