Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hilburn #62

Default Re: Hilburn #62

Don you sure are pulling some great tone out of that one. It has a lot of growl in the low end. Amazing chop to my ear as well. Kudos to Jim on an amazing build. Oh, that Rebecca tune is sweet too.

Scott

2. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

I had some left hand problems and ended up selling #62. Luckily, I sold it to a good friend who was generous enough to let me buy it back after my hand started improving. So happy to have my wonderful Hilburn #62 back. It's such a great mandolin. Here's a little Indiana Firefly (from John Reischman's Up In The Woods CD) on it.

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Don. Happy to hear your hand has improved and you have #62 back.
    I have always had an aching in my MAS for one of Jim's mandolins.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

6. The following members say thank you to GKWilson for this post:

Wow that is a great story Don. I remembered seeing in the classifieds awhile back, but then recently you posted somewhere about both it and the Heiden being in the stable. Glad you were able to get it back. And kudos to your understanding friend. You sure pull the tone out of it. I may gave to have a go at Indiana Firefly. That is a great tune. Since your earlier post of Rebecca, I began noodling around on that one. Reviewing it, I realize I should get to it as there are some nice alternations in the latter part.

Scott

8. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I love the tone of that mandolin!!!! And your playing of course

10. The following members say thank you to Atlanta Mando Mike for this post:

Great story, Don! Having some hand troubles myself and would be very discouraged to get to the point of having to stop playing! Glad you're back!

By the way, what are you using to generate the backing track in your recordings?
    Thanks!
    Rush

12. The following members say thank you to Rush Burkhardt for this post:

Thanks, guys! If you know me, you know I've bought and sold a lot of great mandolins over the years. This Hilburn is the only one I wanted back bad enough to actually get it back.

Rush, I'm using iReal Pro for the backing tracks. I had to buy some extra patches for the "bluegrass" instruments. There's 100s if not 1000s of chord charts you can download for it, and it's pretty easy to make your own or fix one you download that's not exactly right.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave

Yeah, that A has GREAT tone. Love it! Nice song too, you did well.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

15. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

The Hilburn in the classifieds didn't last long. Someone got a deal!

I can't believe we missed our chance to begin cornering the market on Hilburn mandos. I already emailed Jill about it.

Serious deal, IMO (and just refinished).
    Kentucky KM 900
    Hilburn A #65
    Crump OMIIs
    Jacobson #34

Assuming this is the same one I saw a couple days back in the classifieds, it was stated in the ad that Jim was "hangin it' up. First I heard that and a shame if that is the case.

If I may clarify, I don't think I ever said "hanging up the hat".
    However I've been blessed with having a list of folks who ordered from me for over 10 years, but when there was a lull in that list, I decided I would build at my own pace (slow), build what I please, and offer them for sale when complete. This frees me from that feeling of having to be in the shop all the time even though everyone has been amazingly patient with me.

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Good to hear! Didn't mean to start a rumor or anything, that was just how it was stated by the person who placed the ad and thought Id inquire about it.

I don't want to do or say anything that would result in Jim feeling like he had to be in the shop all the time, but my Hilburn #65 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Do yourselves a favor and commission Jim to build one for you as well.
    Kentucky KM 900
    Hilburn A #65
    Crump OMIIs
    Jacobson #34