Thread: Guitar Questions in Regards with Rhythm

Proud Mandolin Owner BeginnerMandolinistTyler's Avatar

Default Guitar Questions in Regards with Rhythm

Hey, I know this isn't mandolin but I was kind of confused with it comes to what guitarists are playing in a bluegrass tune. Since I know many mandolin players on this forum started with guitar I figured you guys would be very knowledgeable about guitar as well. From what I understand, the guitarist is generally just playing chords on the upbeat in time with the chop rhythm. Let's say they are playing a G major chord. Are they playing the all six strings or are they playing the higher ones? Is the guitar playing some sort of a chop where they are muting the strings slightly? I also think I hear the guitar playing along with the bass line as well. I'm assuming there are a lot of variables that go into the music and probably boils down to preference but I figured I would try to enlighten myself on the matter. Thanks for reading and posting!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Guitar Questions in Regards with Rhythm

BMT.....In 4/4 or 2/2 , not 3/4 lor 6/8 The guitar takes care of the one and three beats while the mandolin takes care of the two and four. Generally the technique played in standard rhythum is the one beat is the lowest note in the chord and the three beat is all the notes / strings in the chord. So... boom .. chuck... so to speak. Yes the guitar is going to be sharing notes and timing with the bass player. More so when the guitar player or bass player uses scale tones to walk from chord to chord. Sock rhythum uses the fretting hand to deaden the ringing of the guitar strings. Another technique to learn and use. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...