Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice On Finding A Jazz Mandolin

Default Re: Advice On Finding A Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by swinginmandolins View Post
    Now that was uncalled for I've lusted after one of those for a long time.
    All I can say is that all the lust you have had is well founded. It's a great instrument that really covers a huge range of styles and is quite flexible.

Get one, you deserve it! Sadly, RARELY do they come up for sale used. I was incredibly lucky to get mine that way for a great deal. However, my wife nearly shredded me in the wood chipper. All in all, glad I took the chance!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

I did find a Gibson 1929 AO at music 6000 in Olympia today and was not impressed for the $1600 price tag. It could have used a bridge fitting and a higher action though as it fretted out past the 5th unless you went super light and you couldn't even dig in enough to engage the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Paris Swing did have some other models, at least one of which has F-holes.
    Seattle Craigslist for $600 right now. I don't care for dealing with Craiglist, and this doesn't grab me enough to try.

I'm picky I know..

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    All I can say is that all the lust you have had is well founded. It's a great instrument that really covers a huge range of styles and is quite flexible.

Get one, you deserve it! Sadly, RARELY do they come up for sale used. I was incredibly lucky to get mine that way for a great deal. However, my wife nearly shredded me in the wood chipper. All in all, glad I took the chance!
    I was offered one right after I got the first Holst, so there was no way. Don't regret it though, cause I would be whining about loosing it, instead of whining I lost the Holsts. Maybe someday. Just not the year we decide to buy a house.

I was offered one right after I got the first Holst, so there was no way. Don't regret it though, cause I would be whining about loosing it, instead of whining I lost the Holsts. Maybe someday. Just not the year we decide to buy a house.
    House? Really? You think that's more important? Well, ok, I guess for some folks that may be the case, but jeez, priorities and all.

Really, really, be patient and wait, your right.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    House? Really? You think that's more important? Well, ok, I guess for some folks that may be the case, but jeez, priorities and all.

Really, really, be patient and wait, your right.
    And to think I sold the custom for the house and the other Holst 2 point to pay for my wife being off when we had our daughter, other than being unemployed then and a stay at home dad now I must be pretty messed up....

And to think I sold the custom for the house and the other Holst 2 point to pay for my wife being off when we had our daughter, other than being unemployed then and a stay at home dad now I must be pretty messed up....
    It's a terrible thinh when life get's in the way of our hobbies.

Sadly, I myself traded a whole bunch of stock for a kitchen remodel. But I didn't sell the mandos. Crazy? Oh yes, no argument there.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400

I don't see it as a bad thing plenty of mandos out there. This year will just have to be a lean mando year.

To me the best "Jazz mandolin" is the best mandolin you can afford. I like my old Gibson F5s and my son loves his Ellis. We both like a tone bar F5 because of it's focused tonal properties. If you prefer an oval tone I would suggest looking under that rock. It's like, I want a piece of fruit. Should a have an apple, a mango or some strawberries? Gosh, which one do I like best?
    Best of luck.
    Shelby

Oval hole Paris Swing on the L.A. CL for $250 right now.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3740280347.html

Too bad about the A0 ... friend of mine has one that sounds fantastic, but not every one of them will, of course.
    Last edited by mrmando; Apr-13-2013 at 10:23pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    The now discontinued Paris Swing John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz mando is a great choice, although it only comes as an oval hole. Mine is pictured in my avatar. Great all solid mando with a wonderful neck and great tone. They show up now and then for under $500.
    so a NOS one at a tiny store in Michigan awhile ago. I did like the sound, but not so much the feel. JJ is a great guy and an amazing multi-instrumentalist

Quote Originally Posted by rb3868 View Post
    so a NOS one at a tiny store in Michigan awhile ago. I did like the sound, but not so much the feel. JJ is a great guy and an amazing multi-instrumentalist
    Neck's are more of a modern C or D shape with a wider fretboard and a bit more of a radius than on traditional mandolins. I actually prefer it. PS were designed by Gregg Rich who is the designer behind The Loar guitars and mandolins. I find necks on The Loar and Paris Swing's similar.

IIRC Paris Swing mando's didn't have the QC The Loars now have, so factory setup was horrible on mine. But with a proper setup [bridge proper fitted to the top, nut slots deepened and frets leveled/dressed] its true potential starts to shine through. It's all solid woods with a great ebony fretboard. I really love the sound - notes seem to pop out of it.

I had the good fortune of seeing John a few years back with the quartet part of his quintet in a small community center [small church] that was done up like a Paris restaurant. Amazing band. Amazing guitar player. But it was his clarinet playing that really blew me away - I've never heard anyone hold a note on a wind instrument as long or as clearly as what he did that night.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -