Thread: Thoughts on Choro as we finish the 2013 Choro Workshop

Default Thoughts on Choro as we finish the 2013 Choro Workshop

As we prepare for what may be as fine a superb choro concert with a fabulous faculty, here are some thoughts that I captured during the week. Especially poignant was the piece written and read to us by Henrique Neto. Enjoy, and I only wish all of you could have been there this week. It was, at least in my opinion, over the top wonderful.

One thought I heard from Anat Cohen I believe, was that when asked when she first remember hearing Choro, and she said,'I think it's always been in my DNA. When I found out about choro I ended up spending a huge amount of time in Brazil learning the music. Jazz is music that seems to have become music for musicians, Choro seems to be music for and by the people. Regular people play it, dance to it and sing it Brazil, and everywhere it's played".

Jovino Santos Neto said, "Choro is a coming together of the influences of the European court music, West African rhythms, American Jazz, Eastern European Polkas and Klezmer music, Italian mandolins, Russian 7 String guitars, Marching Band music. It was and is played by marching bands, dance bands, acoustic musicians singing to each other. It is very flexible."

However, perhaps the most eliquent on the issue is 7 String guitar player, Henrique (pronounced neeke the h and r are silent I'm told) Neto. Henrique Neto is dedicated to research and study of Brazilian music. His interest in music came from his father, Reco’s Mandolin, President of the Brasília Choro Club and founder of the Brazilian School of Choro. In addition to making appearances as a soloist, Henrique has shared the stage with musicians such as multi-instrumentalist Hermeto Pascoal, the mandolinist Hamilton de Holanda, Paulo Moura, accordionist Sivuca, the mandolinist Macedo, guitarists Sebastião Tapajós, Manasseh and Guinga, and accordionist and Dominguinhos clarinetist Paulo Sergio Santos.

Talking about Choro – by Henrique Neto

In times of blatant vulgarity on TV, where reality shows have made it natural to trade human humiliation for fame and money prizes, I believe it is important to reconsider what kind of people we want to be. Our hope, amidst such a turmoil of futility, is our culture. Indeed what we best have, it is fundamental to preserve our roots. As a reaction to all the rubbish brought to us by the media, I decided to share some reflections on Choro, based on what I learned from books and heard in stories, as well as on my playing both amateur and professional gigs, sharing the stage with some of the greatest musicians of the genre.

Many people ask: “What is Choro?” It is, historically, a musical style born of European and African descent and gradually transformed by the mixed people originated in Brazil. From Europe we inherited harmonic structure, outline and the esthetic finishing. From the black people, rhythm, swing, power and humor. These cultures mingled, and from such Brazilian mix emerged the essence of Choro. But this information is not enough to answer the question. Much more than grasp the historical data, we need to feel the music in its vast meanings and the messages hidden in its melodies.

Choro goes beyond playing perfect notes on the instrument. Actually, technical perfection is not what one primarily seeks, even though it is fundamental for the execution of a piece. The melodies are difficult and the harmonic paths, intricate, what demands high technical level from the player. However, no “wrong note” is capable of dimming the brightness of an execution which has brought along the elements that give sense to so Brazilian a musical style.

In order to interpret Choro with soul or even to listen to it, it is necessary, above all, to have your heart willing to discover the mysteries of the rhythms brought by black slaves to Brazil, still echoing in the hills of Rio and Bahia; to be in love with the moreno color of our skin, feel the aroma of our cuisine, catch the happiness present in the wiggles and looks of our women; feel the pleasure of an authentic roda de choro, where free-hearted friends will play not for money, but to celebrate life, with gratitude for sharing that moment of unique beauty. A Choro artist must pass along, through his music, the message that our people has to the world; he must lead the way to joy, communion, accepting of differences, warmth and beauty. For it is necessary, even if for a few moments, to escape the cruel traps of modern society, all about the amassing of power, money and success. One has hence to avoid the recipes that deprive us from the precious time that should be dedicated to understanding and valuing the spirit of man. Whoever opens his heart to live this art expression to its full extension, considering the musical, social, historical and cultural spheres, will experience, besides the enchanting universe of Choro, a true synthesis of Brazil. How is it possible to listen to Pixinguinha and not feel the calm present in pieces like “Cinco Companheiros” and “Vou Vivendo”? Or listen to “1 x 0” and not be captured by a sudden joy provoked by the piece, which brilliantly reflects the liveliness and humor of a people? Pixinguinha’s choros are true chronicles, where he profiles the soul of Brazil in a way no other composer has.

The subtleties to which I often refer may not be so noticeable to those not used to rodas de choro or not familiarized with the style. Comparing the aura of Choro with that of other musical styles, we notice that what distinguishes it is not the rough vigor of Flamengo, the extreme formality of classical music, the piercing sufferance sung in Fado or the dramatic load of Tango. It may actually be a little bit of each, depending on the occasion. If I could summarize the essence of Choro, I would say there is in it a certain “restrained joy”, but also a touch of tenderness, even in moments of sheer delight.

Humor and swing are in the DNA of Choro. Its lineage was conceived by the heart and mulatto hands of Joaquim Calado, who granted grace to a music once solemn, stern and lacking the warmth to depict, in a reliable way, the people of an emerging new world. Combining virtuosity, lyricism, humor and sensuality, Calado was the headspring of a river that would be fed by tributaries of great expression: Chiquinha Gonzaga, Ernesto Nazareth, Anacleto de Medeiros, Henrique Alves de Mesquita, Irineu Batina and many others. Such musical stream would flow into the sea of Pixinguinha, who was able to combine the influences of his predecessors, adding the last touch to what would become the first Brazilian urban music.

Choro was the creation of many hands. Every corner of the country has given (and still gives) its contribution through different accents and visions that all artists add to it. As a result, there is an outstanding variety in the way this musical style is played in each part of Brazil today. In Rio it is cooler and more rhythmical, with an involving swing that catches the listener from the beginning. In the Northeast of the country, what cries to our ears is the virtuosity inherited from Frevo. Mingled together with Choro, it sped up the pace, while keeping the romanticism of the melodies. In São Paulo, much technique and modern unusual harmonic paths. In Brasília Choro develops itself with a free, experimental spirit, introducing new ideas that revolutionize the genre. And so it is in each part of the country. More than an accomplished, unchangeable musical style, Choro is a way of playing that opens its doors to the free interpretation of those able to navigate its waters.

©Henrique Lima Santos Neto

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Bergstein For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Thoughts on Choro as we finish the 2013 Choro Workshop

What happened tonight was not just a great concert, but a legendary one. The one time chemistry set mix of Anat Cohen, Jovino Santos Neto, Dudu Maia, Henrique Neto, and Alexandre Lora was a disproof of the science that says 1+1=2. What we saw tonight, from the opening phrases to the last bit of applause, was a concert of musicians, inspired by being together, on fire, and playing from first note to last at the top of their ability, to produce a performance that was beyond words to describe. I salute a most amazing set of musicians. This kind of magic happens very seldom. Thank you for helping us make this happen. Words fail me. I can only hope that Centrum sees the value in putting this online at some point.

Sempre Tui

Al Bergstein
    PT

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    I can only hope that Centrum sees the value in putting this online at some point. Al Bergstein
    PT
    That would be great! I wish I could have been there!

Larry

Found hanging on the wall of the workshop main jam house last night late. No signature but I think the feelings were that Anat was an inspiration to us all. If any of you get a chance to see and hear her play, drop everything.

For Anat from the 2013 Choro Workshop
    (with apologies to Tom Robbins)

Play for us, you big wild gypsy girl, you who surely gallop in on a snorting mare, bareback or standing in the saddle: you whose black tresses reek of bonfire and jasmine; you who traded a dagger for a instrument; grab your clarinet as if it were a stolen chicken, roll your perpetually startled eyes at it, scold it, with that spilt beer dumpling you call a mouth; fidget, fuss flounce, flick, fume – and play. Play us through the roof, play us over the moon, higher than jazz can fly; push those valves as if they were the log of the century, fill the hall with the ozone of your passion; play Choro for us, play Pixinguinha, Chiquinha Gonzaga, Jacob and Nazareth; get drunk with them, dance with them, wound them, and then nurse their wounds, like the eternal female that you are; play until the cherries burst in the orchard, play until wolves chase their tails in the tearooms; play until we forget how we long to tumble with you in the flower beds under Isaac Bashevis Singer’s bedroom, play, you big wild gypsy girl, until beauty and wildness and longing are one.

6. The following members say thank you to Al Bergstein for this post:

Steve Ruffo took some photos of the concert (there might eventually be video by Centrum). Steve sent me the photos and I plugged them into a frame. This really seems to capture the spirit of that concert as best as we can until we get sound from it. The one word to describe it, wild.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choro montage 2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	100744

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bergstein For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=alb;1153519]Steve Ruffo took some photos of the concert (there might eventually be video by Centrum). Steve sent me the photos and I plugged them into a frame. This really seems to capture the spirit of that concert as best as we can until we get sound from it. The one word to describe it, wild.

Al, thanks for those, it's a fine souvenir of the week.

Henrique's beautiful essay takes the poetic side of things. On the scholarly side, all were blown away by what Jovino had to say. The other instructors listened raptly with us as Jovino riffed on music, life, history, the regions of Africa, quantum physics, you name it. It was a continuous flow that spilled from his brain and out his mouth. Each pearl I tried to remember was supplanted by another pearl, and I wound up with just a glow of admiration at the end. Jovino is like an infinite TED talk, and is more fully saturated with music than anyone I've ever encountered.
    John

Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on Choro as we finish the 2013 Choro Workshop

Jovino is like an infinite TED talk, and is more fully saturated with music than anyone I've ever encountered.
    John
    I cannot miss this again. Please, please, please, Jovino come back next year. There are few contemporary musicians of whom it can truly be said "This person is a school." I go to Jovino school every. single. time I listen to a track from any of his CD's. Thank you for this post.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

11. The following members say thank you to Amy Burcham for this post:

DSDarr 

It's been an amazing testiment to this concert that so many people in our town, who were *not* at the concert have called saying they heard it was one spectacular concert, and that they were really sad to have missed it. While i can't imagine ever recreating this magic, I'm thrilled that thefeeling was so widespread, and we'll do our best to throw spices into the pot again next year and seewhat happens. But you gotta come to the meal to taste it!

Throwing away the sheet music...

For the Record: The setlist from the instructor's concert: First half: Ensemble
    Noites Cariocas
    Cochichando
    Gostosinho
    O Voo Da Mosca
    Chorinho Pra Voce
    Vibracoes
    Os Grilos
    Murmurando
    Feira De Mangaio
    -Intermission- Second Half - Solos and duets
    Jovino solo piano (Winter Choro written by him, debuted last year at the concert available on Vimeo at my site)
    Bebe (Jovino and Anat) - Hermeto tune
    Vai e Vem (Jovino and Alexandre Lora)
    Henrique Solo
    Para eu Ser Feliz (Dudu and Henrique)
    Sarue Bengara
    Santo Antonio
    1x0
    -Ovation-
    Santa Morena