Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Cases: Likes, Dislikes, Wishes, Imagination

Default Re: Mandolin Cases: Likes, Dislikes, Wishes, Imagination

I've flown in Canada, Europe and the US using a Calton and have had no problem regarding overhead storage, even on one of those small "crop-dusters" between Minneapolis and Louisville. Except for Europe, the same applies to the Peg. I put both in a case cover, Colorado Case and Small Dog. Both the Peg and the Calton offer great protection except for the possible problem with the fact that the Calton places the headstock to close to the wall. Personally, I've had no problems with this but others have reported some. As far as weight, they feel about the same to me.

Blog Entries

Just a note on Travelites, I too have seen numerous problems with the zippers on these. Agreed they have good basic protection, but those zippers and hinges...and whatever you do don't trust that case hygrometer! See post 9 in this thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...umidifier-test

I actually like the Gator version of that case better. More storage and the zips seem slightly better quality.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-mandolin-case

Re: Calton v. Pegasus, not much in it in my opinion. The new (current) Caltons have more neck support than the originals and the hinge positions were moved. Rotation of the headstock is much less of an issue than it was. The Pegasus is quite a bit wider than the Calton, in fact. I'll put them side-by side so you can see for yourself. Looking at them now, and it is very noticeable. Pic following. Both very good cases indeed. Weight about the same, and length near identical.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

As noted by others. the zippered closure on the Travelites seems to be the least desirable feature. I think a Travelite with a rigid weathertight seal with latches would be cool. There are probably engineering challenges to this design and added expense but a fellow can dream, right?
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

Calton vs. Pegasus shape/size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caltonpeg1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	100778

Name:	caltonpeg2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	100779

Length is almost identical, but width is quite different. Overall depth is similar.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Another important case aspect is the speed/ease at which the mandolin can be whipped out. The Travelite with its zippers, latch, velcro is always a bit of a chore. Case with a separate cover, same. My Guardian square job is probably the easiest, quickest; only has 2 front latches.

Never know when an opportunity will present itself to start hitting those gorgeous notes, you wanna be able to 'come in' fast!

I remember years ago, was at a pickin party and a guy had a 27 fern in a Calton. I asked if I could check it out. He asked me if I knew how to take it out of the case. Seemed like a too-simple question, but not so. With a Calton and the way the lid stands open, one could easily knock the headstock against that hard plastic lip when removing the instrument. Needless to say, I was careful with that baby.

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    As noted by others. the zippered closure on the Travelites seems to be the least desirable feature.
    I'd nominate the metal prongs of the top latch as even less desirable. That looks like a scratch just waiting to happen, when removing or replacing the mandolin. Especially with the dodgy hinges not always holding the lid open. There is already a Velcro closure for added security, so that metal latch is redundant. One of the first things I did with my Travelite was remove the top part of the latch. It's just a press-fit into the foam, so it's easy to pull out with a pair of pliers.

My own experience is that, if a plane is full, an airline won't let me use an overhead bin for a mandolin. That's because the mandolin is a too long to fit straight into an overhead bin, and sideways it takes up two or even three spaces. Rather than check it, I prefer to put it between my legs at my seat. I've never had a problem doing that, because airplane staffs really do want to help you keep your instrument in one piece. A mandolin is small enough that it isn't uncomfortable, even on a long trip.

However, a padded or rectangular case is too bulky, so a small, form-fitting hardshell case works best. I choose a fitted hardshell case that came with my Godin, but holds my other mandolins as well. If I did this all the time, I'd buy a Pegasus.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

From Bill Baldridge - "I don't like it that stickers won't stick to my Hiscox." - ????? - Here's my Hiscox - stickers courtesy of a friend who visited both Greyfox & Wintergrass in 2010. I just cleaned the top with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any 'grease' prior to applying the stickers which have been on for close to 3 years & show no sign of coming off.
    foldedpath - i understand your remark re.the top latch on the Travelite case,but the Hiscox case latches,even when folded down,do stick out quite a bit & could cause a nasty scratch. In the attached pic.,the latch at the back sticks up a good 3/4" above the case rim & it IS sharp !. The top part of the Travelite case latch is tiny by comparison. I like the style of latches on my TKL mandolin & banjo cases which fold down flat out of the way, & unless you're very clumsy,don't pose much of a threat, Ivan

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	100805 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hiscox case latches.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	100806
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Apr-10-2013 at 3:18am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    My own experience is that, if a plane is full, an airline won't let me use an overhead bin for a mandolin.
    My last flying experience was a few years back but I used a double tennis bag for my carry-on and had the mandolin in its hardshell case in one site of the racket area. I had my book and iPod etc in the zip bag. No one had a problem with my putting in the overhead.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Based on my recent personal experience, I would highly recommend that you avoid the Guardian CG-046-MF case. The headstock and body cavities of the case did not align, rendering the case unusable. Neither the vendor I dealt with or Guardian seemed to care much, even after I provided them each photographic evidence of the alignment issue.
    2003 Gibson F-9
    1998 Gibson Fern
    2003 Gibson Doyle Lawson
    2008 Gibson Master Model

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    My last flying experience was a few years back but I used a double tennis bag for my carry-on and had the mandolin in its hardshell case in one site of the racket area. I had my book and iPod etc in the zip bag. No one had a problem with my putting in the overhead.

Sure, but was the plane full?

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

I think every plane I've been on in the last 5 years has been full and I've no issues with Calton mandolin and mandola cases. I've even flown with both with no issue. YMMV, etc........

14. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

I've been thinking for about a year now that it would be great to have a case with a built in laptop/tablet sleeve. I was traveling and mandolin is an instrument you can easily get on the plane. And I often travel with both my mandolin and my laptop. Technology is pretty common among musicians these days so it seems like a great match. One thing to carry on the plane instead of two.
    --
    Seth H Holmes
    http://www.mugwumps.com

Quote Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
    I've never seen a Hiscox mandolin case, but a friend of mine has one of their guitar cases. Really strong and light. I like his a lot, and I've considered getting one for my Collings.

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/mandolin_hiscox.htm
    I have a Hiscox case for my Phoenix mandolin. Since the mandolin is oddly shaped, it doesn't really fit into a F-style or A-style case quite right. They do fit into F-style cases but it's a bit tight on one side I think. Anyway, the Hiscox is roomy enough that I can put in the mandolin, strap, picks, cleaning cloth, recorder, sandwich, bottle of maple syrup[1], etc. The trade off is it's a bit heavy. But it does fit nicely into the overhead compartment on every plane I've ever been on.

[1] I did this on a trip back from Canada.
    --
    Seth H Holmes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Calton vs. Pegasus shape/size

Name:	caltonpeg1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	100778

Name:	caltonpeg2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	100779

Length is almost identical, but width is quite different. Overall depth is similar.
    So why is the pool empty? Seems such a waste
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Blog Entries

Just finished re-grouting it after an acid wash, underwater lights replacement, and general plumbing overhaul. Water arriving next week! Been a bit too chilly to use it over winter, anyway - even here.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

And once it's filled, you can toss in the cases and check their floatation, water-tight capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ...but the Hiscox case latches,even when folded down,do stick out quite a bit & could cause a nasty scratch.
    They stick out when open, but they don't hang down.
    --
    Seth H Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    My own experience is that, if a plane is full, an airline won't let me use an overhead bin for a mandolin. That's because the mandolin is a too long to fit straight into an overhead bin, and sideways it takes up two or even three spaces.
    Really? I've never had a problem even on full/small planes. Although I was getting on one smaller plane and a guy was trying to get a french horn into the overhead compartment. That was a game of Tetris(tm) doomed to failure. Eventually he gave up, we put my mandolin in the overhead and the flight attendant put his french horn "someplace safe" in the plane.

Might depend on the airline but I've always had good luck. Maybe because we can then stuff a ton of jackets on top of my case. I use a Hiscox so I know the instrument is safe.
    --
    Seth H Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by bones12 View Post
    Calton: secure, heavy but it takes me a while to get in and out of them with case cover--something is always catching
    Definitely agree on this point. My Flatbush came with a Calton case and I have a Colorado case cover on it which is great for storage of strings, tuner, etc. but it does make it a bit inconvieniant to get in and out. I don't play out too often though so I don't mind much.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

In the Imagination sector ..
    once you make the case rugged enough, you can add a pull-up handle,
    and recessed dolly wheels on the back, and a folding load platform on the top.
    to turn the heavy case into a luggage trolley. so it will carry more gear, on it.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote - ".....,even when folded down,..." I meant folded down (as per my pic.) as opposed to sticking straight up Seth. They wouldn't pose so much of a scratch threat if they did fold down flat as per the TKL case latches.I suppose the choice of latch type was made on cosmetic grounds rather than instrument safety,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sure, but was the plane full?
    put priority on boarding early .. , then the later users of the OHC will pack around your stuff.

Of course shaped cases take up less room.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Re: storing a mandolin overhead. Maybe its just me, since I also recall feeling a bit guilty taking up two overhead bag spots on a full plane, when I can just as easily put the mandolin comfortably between my legs. There's also a good chance I've been blacklisted from the mandolin-overhead-bin registry.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Sir Isaac Newton said something about mandolin cases becoming airborne when the airplane
    was quickly losing altitude from turbulence , didn't he?

Ok the airplane did come later, but the idea, inertia, was established..

the seasoned travelers like Yo-Yo Ma buy a seat, and seatbelt for their Strad Cellos.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture