Thread: Anyone got tabs for Kentucky Woman Blues by Pokey LaFarge?

Question Anyone got tabs for Kentucky Woman Blues by Pokey LaFarge?

Saw it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-skLcALM8I&safe=active

And immediately loved it. I'd be much obliged if anyone were to tip me off to a little instruction? I tried to just watch what he did, but I'm not too great at that.

Default Re: Anyone got tabs for Kentucky Woman Blues by Pokey LaFarge?

There's probably not likely to be a readily available tab for this tune but he plays a lot of standard blues mandolin licks. Try a C chord and playing along from there. A lot of this style of playing can be learned in the Rich Del Grosso book Mandolin Blues: From Memphis to Maxwell Street. All lessons are in notation, tablature and on a CD. Good luck - that was a great song you posted. I saw Pokey years ago in Scotland. Amazing guy.
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Blog Entries

An ex bandmate played with pokey for about a year before he was Pokey.

Really enjoy where he has taken himself. Thanks for the video link, sorry I have nothing to offer in terms of tab.

I don't have time to tab it out for you, but it's a straight ahead 12 bar in C for the most part. There's a funky melody note on the solos during the 4 chord (goes from a double stop on A and C notes for F but peddles the C to a D and back a couple of times).

The riffs are all right out of the blues pentatonic scale in C and during his solos, he does a lot of double stops on the C, F or G chord (depending on where he is in the song).

Regardless of your level of playing, it's basic enough where you should be able to pick this up by ear. Start by just playing around with the C blues pentatonic and the double stops for C F and G. Don't worry about how long it might take - the more you try (and make mistakes) the better your ear will become at identifying the notes and playing them. You will get this song down. There is no try (except where noted above)

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Pokey is the man. Thanks for posting this.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    I don't have time to tab it out for you, but it's a straight ahead 12 bar in C for the most part. There's a funky melody note on the solos during the 4 chord (goes from a double stop on A and C notes for F but peddles the C to a D and back a couple of times).

The riffs are all right out of the blues pentatonic scale in C and during his solos, he does a lot of double stops on the C, F or G chord (depending on where he is in the song).

Regardless of your level of playing, it's basic enough where you should be able to pick this up by ear. Start by just playing around with the C blues pentatonic and the double stops for C F and G. Don't worry about how long it might take - the more you try (and make mistakes) the better your ear will become at identifying the notes and playing them. You will get this song down. There is no try (except where noted above)
    That funky note is the b3. It goes to the 4 minor there.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Love this song! Having lived in Kentucky for 20 years and with 2 Kentucky ex wives . . . This one hits home!

I checked out the tune...I like it! Here's the intro in tab-notation.
    I think his hands were cold because the phrasing was a bit foggy at the 10th bar.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VDL...ew?usp=sharing