Thread: Crafter mandolin

Default Crafter mandolin

I've had mine for years now and I love it! It sounds great through my Univox U45b amp.

The fit and finish were pretty good. I lowered the action a bit to my taste and have only had to replace strings over time. It has decent tone, but lacks some volume acoutically, but I love the thing amp'd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14xzf5g.jpg 
Views:	1339 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	100408

Default Re: Crafter mandolin

I bought my Crafter mandolin seven years ago. It is a workhorse. I like it and would buy another. Things I do not particularly like about the Crafter are strings too close together and weak sound when not amplified. Things I very much like about the Crafter are; it is built strong and takes a beating, stays in tune, amplification is good, the sound is unique, and it is visually appealing. I own four mandolins. The Crafter was the least expensive. But with regard to value for the dollar the Crafter is the best deal by far. I recommend the Crafter mandolin. It's not expensive and makes a nice alternative for practice and jamming.

Besides the Crafter I own these mandolins; (1) National RM-2, (2) MIX carbon fiber, and an Ovation MM68-7LTD.

My main mandolin is a"summit Artist" right now I'm on holiday in Crete and didn't want to take the summit, even in a hoffee (thought the change in limits may cause some problems. Anyhow I forgot I bought a Crafter for a theatre show years ago and found it in my loft. IT'S GREAT I've been practicing on it today and its in tune, low action and built like a tank! Plus I like he quietness of the acoustic tone.

I just had mine out for a set with many Irish style songs and the worship team loved the added sound through my VOX modeling amp.
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

I'm the proud owner, since wednesday, of a Crafter mandolin (in fact an Ozark 2252, but it's the same !)
    It was very cheap (about 90 $), but needs a serious setup ! The bridge and the nut were very high, and the courses were too close (each string of the pair was to far away from her mate).
    I spend my saturday working on it, and it's now a real pleasure to play with ! Nice sound through an amp !
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Another little "problem" with the Crafter-stencil Ozark is the fretboard : the dot for the 10th fret is misplaced at the 9th fret !
    I noticed that yesterday evening, when I was learning a new high pitched tune !
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Is this a case of 'quality control' moving it from the Crafter label to the Ozark label?

Destroyer of Mandolins

I vaguely recall a thread from long ago (perhaps our skilled Moderators will find it) wherein the position of the markers was discussed at length. IIRC, there are several accepted conventions for marker placement and the 10th fret dot being in the ninth fret may not actually be a defect or mistake. Sorry I can't recall more about it.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

Pleased to find more Crafter owners. I will also never part with mine, an ovation style electro acoustic one. I love it for it's strength, it stay in tune as a previous post suggests. I am now using mine as a sopranino, playing with a capo and detuning, or rather tuning differently, so playing the Crafter as a sopranino and my Bovier as is. That works well for me. My Crafter is my campfire mandolin, more rugged. My Jbovier will only go to very safe places.
    As far as setup: I bought a used Crafter, so someone had already played it.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Destroyer of Mandolins

The Crafters and Ovations make excellent campfire instruments. Not because they are second-rate in any way (many keep their starter quality instruments for the purpose) but because they are ruggedly dependable for the harshest environments.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

As of today, a Crafter M75 AM owner.

Needs a little work and setup, but it is a rainy weekend so I have time to get it singing again.
    Fender FM52se
    Crafter M75 AM
    2001 Hondo A4 (Local Company to me)
    MK L-Plus (Yes, I do like this MK)
    Octave Mandolin project using a 3/4 Scale Guitar

I make-a me a-noise on d Mandolin....

I love my crafter for plugged in use. Great sound!

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I love the look of them, haven't bought one yet, i do have an ovation which i take if i go where no mando should go. But i like taking my J Bovier to the lake, there are some great places to play at lake Lanier, can't wait to take my crafter when i finally get one
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I love that my Crafter does not need a battery. Just plug it in to the amp, adjust volume and tone and play.

7 years later still and my Crafter gets played in every set we do! Now being used through a Mooer GE-150.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

One of the few instruments I sold. (Under pressure from home). Like the other few regret it.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;