Thread: New Eastman MD505

Searching for the Sound

Default New Eastman MD505

What a good week ... myy new Eastman MD505 arrived yesterday, and following the advice of many, I let it come to temp over the course of 24 hrs ... Arizona to Wisconsin would be a shock for anybody / anything .. I took it out of the case just now and after 45 mins, I'm very happy ...

My first impression, as a newbie with ~6months experience with a low-end and poorly (if at all) set up instrument (Savannah something-or-other), is that Robert at Folkmusician did an outstanding job of setting it up ... so THAT'S what you all meant when you said a properly set up instrument makes all the difference. I experienced continual hand fatigue and sore fingers with the other one. The Eastman plays so easily ...

Second, it's much louder than the previous one, and a completely different tone. Thanks to several of you, and Robert, for convincing me that moving up to the 505 was a good choice.

Third, it's attractive !!! There was a 'classic' video posted the other day of a member waiting for, and then opening, his new mandolin ... I can't compete with that, but I feel compelled to show a few pictures.

You'll see the MandoStrat in the first two pictures ... it's a good week because that arrived on Tuesday. I have my practicing work cut out for me....

Cheers...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3232_2.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	100361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3233_2.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	100362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3236_2.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	100363  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3237_2.jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	100364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3238_2.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	100365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3239_2.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	100366  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3244_2.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	100367  
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Default Re: New Eastman MD505

Purdy good looking...enjoy.

Very Nice !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Welcome to Club Eastman! I joined just a few weeks ago with a 515 and I LOVE it! The more you play it, the better it sounds. Which is convenient cause it's nearly impossible to put down. That's some beautiful maple you have there.

Exciting times for sure! I also own a 505 and am happy with it. Enjoy yours!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Enjoy! I've the got the F model, MD515, had it for almost 2 years and again tonite someone remarked at the bluegrass jam I go to; that thing really barks! You'll love it!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Ya know, I don't think i've heard a disparaging remark from Eastman owners here. welcome to the Mandolin cafe Eastman owners group

Randy

Eastman 805D

Searching for the Sound

Thanks all ... I've had it less than a week and I'm still quite impressed, both the instrument and the set up by Folkmusician. I'm no expert, but Mr. Fear spoke highly of Eastman. Interestingly, with respect to Eastman quality, I found myself with a guitar-player friend at the local Music-Go-Round (they sell used equipment) a couple of months ago (before I'd considered a mando upgrade), and there were no acoustic guitars that caught his eye, but I mentioned there was an Eastman and that the Eastman mandolins had a good reputation with the mandolin players, so he gave it a play. After 10 minutes, he said "I'm buying it". I told him to not be so impulsive, and at least sleep on it ... he bought it the next morning and likes it very much.
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Yea their guitars are world class at an amazing price point. My E10D is every bit as good as a D18GE for a fraction of the cost.

Congrats. I have a 605 and just love the tone of it

I've been looking at the 505 and 315 as being my first "quality" mandolin purchase. I've started playing on an old (40+ years) Aria bowlback and can't wait to upgrade. So, I won't hijack this thread (especially since I'm the new guy here) but I have some research to do to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by bongoben View Post
    I've been looking at the 505 and 315 as being my first "quality" mandolin purchase. I've started playing on an old (40+ years) Aria bowlback and can't wait to upgrade. So, I won't hijack this thread (especially since I'm the new guy here) but I have some research to do to decide.
    Nothing wrong with the 315 but I'd go with the 505. Mainly because I see people here buy the 315, and then upgrade the tuners, tailpiece, and sometimes bridge. With the exception of the bridge, you're basically getting a 505 at that point. I got my 505 here in the Classifieds for $400. I was just patient and waited for the right deal to come along. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Good information... thank you much!