Thread: Harry's Guitar Shop- Raleigh, NC

Unhappy Harry's Guitar Shop- Raleigh, NC

Does anybody know anything about Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh? He carries Eastman and several other better mandolins and claims to do good repair work. He's been voted "best music store in Raleigh", but I don't know by who.

I need some good set up work done on my The Loar and don't mind driving the two hours to Raleigh or leaving my mandolin with him, but I'd feel better if I had a reference or two. Does anybody know Harry's or better yet, had any dealing with him? Can anybody recommend another shop that does good set up work in The Eastern part of North Carolina?

Thanks.......Mike

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Default Re: Harry's Guitar Shop- Raleigh, NC

I've heard about Skip Kelley from other guys on the forum, although I haven't met him yet I'd like to. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/me...64-Skip-Kelley
    There's also Wes Lambe. He builds great instruments and does impressive set up work. http://www.wlguitars.com

Ben Runkle in Raleigh has done some really good work for me, as have Hanson & Crawford- now in Durham, and Wes Lambe has done a great job with good turn-around on the last few mandolins I've needed work done on. Wes is a good luthier and repair man who knows mandolins and can be contacted thru Music Loft in Carrboro.

Harry's is a good guitar store and I bought a decent Kelly mandolin thru his store that they set up quite nicely, but haven't had any other work done there in a long time. Zepp's might do some mandolin work- but I think (shudder) banjos are their specialty. Going East beyond Raleigh in the North State is unknown territory for me... at least as far as mandolin repairs.

Harry's is a great shop. I like them a lot but I know Greg Hanson and David Crawford quite well and would recomend them without reservation. The current contact info is 919-237-3375. They do great setup work as well as great restoration work on vintage instruments.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I'm fairly sure you would be happy with a setup from Skip Kelley (I'm currently in the process of a build with him, in fact). His mandolins are frequently described as having great playability

I live in Cary and take lessons from Stephen at HGS in Raleigh. I have dealt with them over the time I have lived here which covers the time they have been in business. They have a good reputation and have seen firsthand some of their repair and setup. I would not hesitate to use them.
    djb
    2012 Washburn Jethro Burns M6-SW f-style
    1973 Yamaha FG-200 dread acoustic
    2000 Peavey Raptor Plus electric

I've used Harry's as well. When I used them last, the repair guy's name was Terry .... really nice guy! Zepp's in Wendell has moved to banjos only. They use to have guitars and mandolins there, but not now. I would go to Harry's over Zepp's for mandolin work.

Unhappy Re: Harry's Guitar Shop- Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea44 View Post
    I've used Harry's as well. When I used them last, the repair guy's name was Terry .... really nice guy! Zepp's in Wendell has moved to banjos only. They use to have guitars and mandolins there, but not now. I would go to Harry's over Zepp's for mandolin work.
    It looks like I'll give Harry's a try. I emailed him with a question about the work I want done and his reply was almost immediate. He indicated that he would do his best to accommodate my needs concerning turn around as well. The price he quoted me was also very reasonable. The only downer was that he doesn't have the Eastman 515 that I wanted to try in stock at this time (it seems that nobody does).

Yeah, I was looking for a 515 to test drive in NC as well but wasn't successful. Luckily my work has me in TN a lot lately and I was able to find a few to play. I ended up going with the Mandolin Store because of their good reputation here on the Cafe. The set up work they do is great and although I wasn't there to try out instruments they helped me narrow it down from what they had in stock. Here's a link to the pics I posted after I got it last week.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Eastman-MD515

I have to ask...are you happy with it?

I always enjoy stoping by Harry's when I go to Raleigh, they are not only very welcoming but very knowledgeable as well. Guru Guitars also does great work and can have some pretty cool stuff (guitars, vintage amps, etc) on occasion. They did a great job on my guitar for a reasonable price, I'm not sure if they have much experience with mandolins. However, they had a good playing Loar there when I was there last, sorry not a Gibson Loar. Both great shops. If violins are your thing then right down the street is Montgomery Violins, truly some beautiful instruments there.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

12. The following members say thank you to Bigtuna for this post:

I love everything about it. I'm new to the radiused fret board which I'm really loving. I'm used to flatwound strings and this has J74's on it, so to my ears it's a bit brighter than what I'm used to. The tone itself is very well rounded and getting more so every day. I've been playing it pretty hard about two hours a day for a week. It kinda reminds me of a sports car, very responsive and clear and it feels like it wants you to push it harder. If that makes any sense! The fit and finish are very clean and the choice in spruce and maple are impressive.

Having owned a few sports cars in my time, I know exactly what you mean. I looked at your pics a again...beautiful. It's too bad that nobody will see the back of the mandolin when you're playing...it's gorgeous. I'm trying to connive a way for my wife to read this thread. Maybe the idea of a really nice birthday present will take root!