Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spira Mandola Finished!

Lee957,
    It's called a "volute".

Frank

Blog Entries

One month after it's arrival, the mandola continues to draw double takes for it's looks and craftmanship first, then it's sound. A friend was playing melody on it earlier today at a small jam and I had no problem hearing it from across a large market space over the rhythm instruments and background sounds.

-Phil

Blog Entries

It looks great and sounds better. You did well!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I had the pleasure of playing this charmer yesterday.

The craftsmanship is flawless, the sound rich, full, open, and amazing. The playbility is comfortable with only the furthest reaches as challenginig stretches.

The woods look even better in person. The back is lustrous.

(a p.s. to the guy who heard Shenk's mando's on the radio -- that's Lukas Simpson on an f-hole A (maple/spruce) and Jay Lapp on an f-hole F (same woods -- exceptional selection though). These young, energetic guys are just a pleasure to jam with. They've developed a very pleasing repertoire of harmony voclas, some nice quirky instrumentals (Jay usually doing guitar duties) and Lukas is a virtual human metronome on rhythm mando -- a delight to take a lead with. They've teamed up with one of the area's better young fiddlers -- look for them to be playing in the N. IN, S. MI area. I doubt you'll be disappointed)

Hey Phil, thanks for all your kind words!! I hope the mandola sound warms up nicley for you. I dont know if others agree, I find that sitka spruce tends to be fairly bright to start with, but once it warms up, in its own time, it retains a fair bit of edge to the attack, retaining a nice sparkle when its played in.
    That carved bit on the back of the head/neck join (I didnt know it was called a volute!) is there partly to give a bit of form to the head/neck join, but mainly to add strength to a very narrow bit of wood under a lot of stress!
    Oh and thanks for introducing me to the mandolin cafe! what a brilliant site!
    Thanks!
    Jack Spira