Thread: Tacoma, Wa (& hello!)

Default Tacoma, Wa (& hello!)

Hey all,

This is my first-ever forum post (hello!) on Mandolin Cafe. I'm a Tacoma, WA native and I've been (attempting) to teach myself mandolin for a few months.

The key word there is "attempting". I'm seeking anyone/anywhere in the area where I can watch people play, take lessons, and just generally try and improve where I'm at. I've searched for instructors but I'm wary because most I've found online in this area teach not only mandolin but every other string instrument under the sun...

I'm looking for literally anything relating to mandolin in the South Puget Sound. I've asked local music stores and have basically gotten a shrug and "Try Wintergrass?" As I've been playing I know that I'm using some very awful techniques (let's just say I'm a pro at not using my left pinky...at all) and I want to get myself out of that dangerous black hole before it's too late! I'm hoping to maybe take a few lessons and get my technique down correctly and then hopefully venture back into self-teaching.

Anyone from the PACNW with any leads on workshops or anything?

I hope I posted this in the right place. XD

Default Re: Tacoma, Wa (& hello!)

If you want to check out Bluegrass jams here is a list;http://www.washingtonbluegrassassociation.org/jams.php
    If you are looking for lessons I'd look into lessons with Pete Martin http://www.petimarpress.com

Oh thank you! Looking right now! :D

Edit: Pete Martin looks great! However Seattle/Lynnwood is a bit too far for me to travel regularly (and I really wanna try and have lessons in person). But I'm totally going to keep him in mind for occasional trips up there.

I'm sure others will offer more than I. You may be able to find someone to teach you at one of the jams. Good luck!

5. The following members say thank you to swinginmandolins for this post:

mos 

If you don't mind driving up to Seattle I could recommend either Dave Keenan or Pete Martin for lessons. Worth the drive IMHO. I think you can find either by google search.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Pete also does Skype lessons and is EXCELLENT

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sharp View Post
    Pete also does Skype lessons and is EXCELLENT
    Yeah, the more I look at him the more I want to suck it up and drive up there once a month and fill it in with Skype lessons...he looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.