Thread: Best Website for Lessons/Tips/Videos/etc.

Default Best Website for Lessons/Tips/Videos/etc.

Good afternoon all,

As I've said in a few threads already, I just purchased a new Kentucky KM 630 and am wanting to get some good beginner lessons. I've played guitar for 15+ years, so I think that will help. Does anyone have a good website for free lessons that has video with them?

I've tried Mandolessons.com and went through the "Beginner" section. It was somewhat helpful, but when I got to the "Intermediate" section...it seemed like it was a little more advanced than I was ready for. I think a few steps were missed between sections...who knows. Anyway, something similar..with Video and .PDF files that might have tabs/instructions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
    Joe

Default Re: Best Website for Lessons/Tips/Videos/etc.

Not free but at $12.50 a month with no obligation (other than the first month) www.banjobenclark.com is a great deal. And his newest lesson is about mandolin basics (left and right hand positioning and fingering).

He provides tabs and TabEdit files. He plays on his videos in normal speed and then very slowly. Many of his lessons will go through a song measure by measure where he talks about problems and fingering.

And if you want to learn some bluegrass guitar tunes or learn the banjo, he has lessons for those as well (all included in the monthly fee).

Oh yeah, and for that tremolo thing try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvD41asKCY

The rest stroke stuff will help you get the tone from your instrument also. It helps with guitar also for your right hand technique.

Not sure if it the best yet, due to the fact that is not open until this summer, but here is a preview of my on-line teaching site. Take a look and let me know what you think. It is still under construction so some thing may move around a bit before summer. Below is a link to some free lessons. When launched, I hope to have hundreds of lessons ranging from total beginner to advance jazz/improvisation concepts.

http://www.mandolinforeveryone.com/freebies/

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don Julin For This Useful Post:

Lots of good suggestions so far!

Don't forget Mike Marshall's personalised online training (including lots of videos and PDFs) at http://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons-mike-marshall . I've found it very helpful. One of the best features is that you can submit videos to Mike himself and he will respond with pointers and advice.

My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Quote Originally Posted by John Duncan View Post
    ...lol...obviously I would have checked Youtube...just not what I'm looking for exactly. Thanks for the input though.

Thanks so far everyone else with your site recommendations. I'll check those out when I get home tonight from work. Much appreciated!

Joe

You might want to consider checking out you tube videos by Peter Martin (mandolin basics vol 1 thru 5). I checked out videos by Mike Marshal and others but I found that I still had questions about how to hold the mandolin properly and why. Peter Martin teaches from an ergonomics point of view, which helped him with his bad tendinitis during his 30 year teaching career. It made a lot of sense to me and I have been adjusting my technique. Im pretty new to playing (and building mandolins) but im having a lot of fun doing it.

You can find those through my website listed here
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Do a google search or a youtube search for Anthony Hannigan, he used to teach mandolin at the old music moose website which is now gone and he has put some of it back on under the hickory project you should find it on the search
    Dan

Blog Entries

Hi Don

Many thanks. Look forward to looking at your website.
    Vanilla

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Hi there,

I don’t know what kind of music you’re interested in.
    There are lots of free mandolin lessons on YouTube with various types of music.
    It’s always easier to start on a new instrument with some music you already know.
    I have a variety of pop/rock music on my website, I did put the chords I use in pdf files along with the finger charts.
    That may help you to learn more so that you feel more comfortable with playing.
    Take care, Robert
    You can play almost anything on a mandolin! Be creative, have fun, spread the word: Mandolins Rock!:

Robert Rocks The Mandolin http://rdenronden.magix.net/public

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

I think that all of Don Julin's freebies stuff is great for those just starting! Jazzmando is more for intermediate players. Have fun, think of a song you would learn and I'd be happy to post instructional videos.

Below is a video of me playing simple major scales. I know it sounds boring...but having these under your fingertips can make jamming with other musicians much more fun and productive. My webpage can give you an intro into reading tab as well.

I will say, the youtube videos I've watched of Don Julin were just great. Very clear explanations. I'll bet the website will be very good and worth the money.

This site.

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/mandolin/lessons.html

This is stuff by Brad Laird. Plenty of freebies and premium lessons that can be purchased and are worth the money, IMHO
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain