Thread: Which "Band" album is your favorite?

Default Which "Band" album is your favorite?

I just recently purchased Music From the Big Pink and the "Brown" album. Both are great, but I think their second album might possibly be one of the best if not THE best of all time. Songs like The Night they drove Old Dixie Down,Whispering Pines and King Harvest (Will Surely Come) are timeless. As much as I love Levon's voice, I am really drawn to Richard Manuel's voice. So much expressiveness and emotion.What is your favorite?
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Default Re: Which "Band" album is your favorite?

I'd go with BIG PINK first, and the 'BROWN' album second. They are both incredible, but there is something almost ethereal about BIG PINK that has always pulled me in.
    At their peak, they were simply incredible. Saw them many, many times in concert. Even read Levon's book.
    Sorry to see that Garth Hudson is in such financial distress right now.

Always loved "The Basement Tapes".

They were a great band...I enjoyed their enthusiasm in my youth.... I'd have to say though, my favorite "Band" album is the Bluegrass Album "Band" with Tony singing

Blog Entries

"Before the Flood" - Bob Dylan / The Band.
    Remarkable live album documenting the Dylan-Band reunion tour in 1974.
    This is one of the greatest live albums ever made. Seems to improve with each listen.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

Although I don't rate "Stage Fright" as high as "-Big Pink" and "the Band", it has some fine songs on it. I think the stand outs on "Stage Fright" are "The Shape I'm In", "Stage Fright" and "Daniel and the Sacred Harp". I also like "The Basement Tapes". I think their version of "No More Cane on the Brazos" is the best version I've ever heard.

Blog Entries

Well, the best album? Stage Fright is the first I bought, so I have to say that, however, the one I play most often is Anthology, their greatest greatest hit's album. I'm playing it as I type.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

At the time (70's), the one that got the most play was Rock Of Ages. The Band seemed too rootsy, earthy (or something) at the time; that live double LP had the best of the best. Mind you, that was during the folly of youth. Now, I'd have to say all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    They were a great band...I enjoyed their enthusiasm in my youth.... I'd have to say though, my favorite "Band" album is the Bluegrass Album "Band" with Tony singing
    That's where I thought we were going too....!

Their collected works have more power than any single album, but Big Pink is essential. I have the complete collected works on three CD's.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I have the box set and listen to selections from their whole run, but the "brown" album is the one for me. I got it for Christmas the year it came out and have listened to it regularly for over 40 years now. It's perfect--warts and all.

PK
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

12. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

It's hard to pick a favorite from their Capitol albums.

But a personal favorite was never a "legitimate" release -- the recording of the Carter Baron arena concert in Washington, D.C., August 1976 (I believe) that was broadcast on the King Biscuit Hour radio show. I could be wrong but I think it was right after this show that Robbie Robertson told Levon that he wanted to quit.

This bootleg can be found under the names "Live USA" and "Ophelia", I believe.

One thing that I found interesting was that I never heard Richard Manuel's piano in the mix as clearly as on this recording. You can hear how ravaged his voice is becoming from years of self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    ....but the "brown" album is the one for me. I got it for Christmas the year it came out and have listened to it regularly for over 40 years now. It's perfect--warts and all.
    Famous "warts"...

That record is cited in many books on recording techniques, as they unfortunately used a console that was wired out-of-phase, so the piano disappears when played in mono...

So-ooo, every time "Cripple Creek" hit the AM airwaves, it sounded drastically different that it did at home on the stereo...

The weakest track on the "Brown" album (in my opinion) is Jawbone. It is weird, but I still like it. Rockin Chair and When You Awake are also great tunes. On Big Pink, I love Tears of Rage, In a Station and We Can Talk. I love the following lines:

Did you ever milk a cow?
    I tried to one day, but I was all dressed up for sunday.

I have no idea what that means in the context of the song.....but what can I say...it's great
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have to go with the Brown album first, then Big Pink. I actually watched a GREAT documentary yesterday on Hulu, that followed them through their years backing Hawkins, up to the split, then the years with Dylan, and on thru the albums, up to the Last Waltz. It was technically a film about Dylan, but the Band got equal, if not more time. I believe it was called "After the Flood". Well worth watching if you have Hulu.Brings up a question, where is a good online source for tabs of The Band's music. They're one of the first artists that popped into mind when I decided to get a mando.

Blog Entries

It's hard to beat the Brown and Big Pink albums, but the other ones are very good in their own way. Stage Fright should be up there--lots of great tunes and tasteful playing on Robbie's part. I've always been a big fan of Cahoots, the Allen Toussaint produced and wrote horn parts for. Life's a Carnival, 4% Pantomime (w/ Van Morrison) and When I Paint My Masterpiece are on it. Though not as strong, I've always enjoyed Northern Lights/Southern Cross. Two of my favorite Band tunes--It Makes No Difference and Arcadian Driftwood--are on there. That's also the album with Ophelia and Forbidden Fruit. Islands probably is the weakest though that album did have Ain't that a Lot of Love and Christmas Must Be Tonight.

Though some of the later albums are overlooked due to the first two and the Last Waltz, they're very strong, credible albums in their own right. Frankly, the Brown album has some questionable moments on it--but dang, there are tunes that touch on the sublime that outweigh some of the sleepers (Look Out Cleveland, Jawbone).

As far as the box set, a lot of that material has been released on bootlegs over the years. However, that box set is worth it for the demo version of Twilight w/ just Robbie singing at the piano. That's how twilight should have been done. Robbie actually sounds like Richard Manuel on it--he could sort of sing at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    At the time (70's), the one that got the most play was Rock Of Ages.
    Well, you'd love this....

Why yes, yes I do...

My favorite outtake, by far:

Way back in the olden days I had 'Stage Fright', and about wore the grooves out of it. Just a year or so ago, after meaning to get to it for years, we finally rented The Last Waltz. Ooh, my, what a show! Even my wife was riveted. A great event, and to me, the highlight was Robbie. Seems like it just flowed out of every pore that night (probably did every other night, too). Absolutely amazing.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

22. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:

This thread's the first time I've heard it referred to as "the brown album" - i suppose i'd always call it "the band - the band"; but imo, it's head and shoulders above big pink; much as big pink has some great stuff on it, I was disappointed on first hearing it as I expected it to be as good as "the band". "the band" is quite possibly my favourite album ever; a good range of stuff and I never get sick of it.

Ilike all the bands work but my favorite id Moondog Matinee...Mystery Train.

I agree with neil. The second album is my favorite. I remember listening to Rockin Chair when I was 17. Now at 67 the song still has as much meaning. Richard Manuel's voice on Wispering Pines doesn't get more soulful than that. I am attempting to learn Rockin Chair. Anyone got any sources?