Thread: Domestic Flat Tops

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Domestic Flat Tops

Scrolling through the archives, it seems like these models are oft discussed but haven't been compared in years. So in your experience, how do the instruments from Muddy (Mid-Missouri), Gypsy, Redline, Flatiron, and any other American makers stack up against one another?

Pat

Default Re: Domestic Flat Tops

The old original Gibson Army-Navy ones made in the old Kalamazoo factory.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Not American, but Canadian -- Peter Sawchyn makes a pretty nice flat top line -- the Beavertail -- of mandos, dolas, OMs, etc., that would be comparable.
    Too many instruments...too little time

I am a flat top fan. I have not played all of the brands you mention, but my favorite of the ones I've played is the Arches made in Moab.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    how do the instruments from Muddy (Mid-Missouri), Gypsy, Redline, Flatiron, and any other American makers stack up against one another?
    They stack up better than the archtops -- those rock too much.

One other maker is David Newton of Texas.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I haven't a-b'ed these brands, but I tend not to put too much stock in a-b comparisons anyway. There are simply too many variables that must be taken into account for those comparisons to have any real meaning.

What I can say, though, is that I am a fan of army-navy type flat tops, especially as a first mandolin (buy the arch-top once you gain a little experience) or as an additional instrument. Ultimately, it's good to have both types.

I can also say that I really like my Crystal Forest flat-top, so you might want to have a look at those. They are made by an individual luthier and he does a great job. They are a lot of fun to play, and have that great flat-top sound.

Best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Speaking of A - B -ing mandolins, I listened to a company's lowest priced and their highest priced flat-top mandolins on the web - not the most ideal way to compare to be sure, but they sounded pretty much alike. I would have no qualms about buying the low end of the line.
    So chi sono.

Only ones I can respond about are the Flatirons, which are (were) excellently made instruments, surprising "voice" for their simple construction. I've been playing a Flatiron 3-K "bouzouki" (actually an octave mandolin) for more than 25 years, and I purchased a Gibson "A/N Custom" which was a dressed-up Flatiron "pancake" signed by Steve Carlson. Another excellent instrument.

The Mid-Missouri/Big Muddy instruments get generally excellent reviews here on the Cafe, but other than three minutes at a dealer's a few years ago, I haven't played one. I do think that the "flat top" is an underrated style, providing very good sound at a reasonable price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Eagerly awaiting arrival of an Arches FT-O...

I have a W. A. Petersen octave mandolin that is a keeper. His work is sometimes found at Elderly and Gryphon. I chose it over Flatirons and Weber Sages. (nfi)

I don't have any FT/FT-comparison that I recall, but I do have many A/B comparisons of my Keith Newell FT to high-end carved-top mandolins, the Newell FT always surprising me and everyone else. I am only throwing this in the mix in hopes of someone having made a FT/FT comparison with a Newell FT...and so that in this discussion, Newell of Oregon isn't left out. Keith's FT's are TERRIFIC in tone and in volume (and in workmanship and materials).

Domestic flat-top mandolins have to be some of the best bang-for-the-buck mandolins available today.

I have a MidMo mandolin and 2 mandolas (one a 'Muddy), as well Sawchyn and Flatiron 'dolas. All are very different, all in positive ways. Each has its place. If I could only keep one of them, that would be a most difficult decision (one I hope I never have to make while still able to play them)!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Barry Kratzer (Bulldog) also makes flat tops. No idea how they sound although he has sound clips on his web site. I have the base model Big Muddy (impulse buy at the local store) MW-0. I have not played other flat tops, but I really like tone of it. The playability is exceptional (good set up by Dusty Strings) IMO.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by RussD View Post
    Eagerly awaiting arrival of an Arches FT-O...
    Well it arrived, it's a beauty, sounds wonderful, and best of all, the wife loves it. How can the world get any better?

Good for you, RussD...sure sounds like a win-win!

I have a Kratzer Flat Top, and I highly recommend it. If I were to label any of my flat tops as a "do all", it would be the one.

Steve
    RedLine A-5 #14
    Howard Morris Flat Top #337
    1936 Gibson A-50

Ive been using my Flat top ,a Selmer-esque Djangolin, made by the late David Hodson , in Britain,
    at our weekly round table Jam every week , for many months .
    the nickel wound Newtone G & Ds seem to sound fine over a rather long period.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I have a Weber Aspen II, which is an amazing instrument. I love it so much I had it decorated. Any discussion of flatties should include the Aspen.

I have heard a few Mid-Mos played by some amazing players and they sound really great.

I used to own a Flatiron Army Navy pancake mandola (1980s vintage), and that thing was a boomer.

Lots of good choices. Flat tops are great instruments and take a back seat to no other mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hi All --

I guess I don't have too many vocal RedLine Traveler Mandolin owners around these parts, so I'll blow my own horn a little bit, or at least give you a chance to hear a Traveler in action. A couple of summers ago, I had the great fortune of becoming friends with all of the guys in the Swedish bluegrass band G@, as well as most of the folks in another Swedish band, "The Downtown Ramblers". Here's a link to two members of the Ramblers, along with Tobias Stromberg on reso. guitar.

These are all instruments made by myself, along with a couple of guys that work pretty much full time with me. This video was shot on a Flip camera, so the audio is not a good as it could be, but it gives you some idea as to how our mandolins, acoustic guitars, and resophonic guitars sound.

These guys just stopped by the shop one day for an impromptu visit, and I asked them if they'd do a tune or two for us. Here they are doing Saint Anne's Reel . . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtsXH...7tswL7Od2u0GFg

I will attest to the Redline Traveler as I love mine. My first mandolin was a Kentucky 505, then a Weber Gallatin A. Both gone now simply because I liked the Traveler sound better.

Thanks Bob! And, of course I let a bit of a typo slip through. That wonderful Swedish band I mentioned is actually called "G2". Guess I held the 'caps' button down a bit too long.

As it turns out, I have a couple of Travelers that just finished completion. I'll try to put one up on the classified section before too long.