Thread: Recommendations on used F

Default Recommendations on used F

Howdy folks, I just got back heavy into playing mandolin after four years of a misguided journey down other musical paths(what was I thinking?). I still got my good ol' weber Y2K that I played hard for seven years, but it's in bad shape and I don't think it will last much longer, so I've decided to get in the market for a new used mando.
    My budget is around 1500, and I've decided that I would really like an F-style this time.
    I was wondering if yall have any recommendations on a model and make, whats the best bang for the buck? I've heard good things about the km-1000 but I would like to know if theres anything else comparable out there.
    Thanks for your help!
    Best regards-
    Cosmo

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Default Re: Recommendations on used F

"won't last much longer"?? Unless really abused it should not cost much to bring it back to original or even better condition (fingerboard, frets, bridge... what is wrong with it?). Do you like the sound and (when adjusted) playability? Then stick with the instrument you have.

You really want an F.... why exactly? How about, you really want a particular sound / playability and you find that in an F-style, A-style, hybrid...

Not to put you off an F, but also at that price point you're paying a lot for the scroll work, the same money might go into the woods for an A style.

If a Gibson style neck is your preference then a Km-1000 will suit you just fine....I love mine.

Blog Entries

The classifieds here are always worth a look - you can pick up some real bargains.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

You can probably pick up a Weber Gallatin for somewhere in that price range. Nice instruments, no binding and simpler appointments to their more expensive models.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

I have a KM-1500 that I bought from the Mandolin store that I love. I think they have a KM-1000 Varnish right now that will fit in your budget.
    If You don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kentucky KM1500

I'd just keep an eye out on the classifieds for a while. You might find you can pick up a nice bargain on a used mando from a small builder or something like that.
    Having said that, the one KM1000 that I've played was quite nice - if you can pick one up second hand, it would be a good buy.

Thanks for the replies. Swampstomper(great name by the way), in concern to the weber, it's headstock snapped off a few years ago and I re-attached it with gorilla glue, It seems sturdy enough through the 50 or so hours of playing since, but I'm not sure how long it will hold. It also has VERY heavy pickwear on and above where the pickguard would be, almost through the wood ala willie nelsons guitar. It's an awesome mando and the tone is incredible, very woody and open with great sustain and overtones, but I'm afraid of the headstock popping off during a gig.
    My reasons for wanting an F are purely cosmetic(aint the the main reason anyone wants an F, but I would be willing to settle for an A if the tone was right. I'm looking for something similar in tone to what I already have, just a little louder, which is where the Y2K falls short. I dont play straight bluegrass, more of a bluegrass infused folk blues, so it doesnt need to be a outright banjo killer.
    All the weber's I've heard seem to have the woody tone that I like, but they are pretty expensive, and I would prefer something more traditional looking, but once again, tone takes precedence. If you do know of any jems that meet these criteria I would love suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Happy picking,
    Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmomurphy View Post
    ...it's headstock snapped off a few years ago ... It also has VERY heavy pickwear on and above where the pickguard would be, almost through the wood ala willie nelsons guitar.
    Remind me not to let you play my mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmomurphy View Post
    ...it's headstock snapped off a few years ago and I re-attached it with gorilla glue, It seems sturdy enough through the 50 or so hours of playing since...
    So: headstock broke off the Weber years ago, and instead of taking it to a repair tech you re-attached it with Gorilla Glue. And you've only played it 50 hours in the past "few years"? Odd…

I'd suggest getting the Weber re-repaired, but the Gorilla Glue "joint" would be a bear to re-do, from what I've read here. And you have some interest in improving your sound -- more volume -- and you're wearing the Weber out through pick abrasion, in any case.

If your picking style is that aggressive, you might want to consider getting something with a pickguard. Spending around $1.5K, I'd look into one of the later Gibson f-hole A-models, A-40 or A-50, which are available used for around your budget. Or a good Asian import, Kentucky or Eastman.

Do you have good access to dealers with a decent selection, or do you go to jams where there are other mandolins you might try (carefully, I hope)? There's not a quick, one-size-fits-you-perfectly answer. Best course is to experience as many mandolins as possible, discover what comes closest to the sound, style and feel you want, and zero in on that brand/model. Lots of used instruments around, but it helps to be relatively clear on what you're looking for, and only experience gives that information.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Burk 

You need to narrow your search. 1500 will buy a lot of mandolins and a lot of mandolin. Narrow down by wood choice , f hole, oval(F4), color, US made, China....the KM I believe is China made. Anyway narrow your search down to just a few to consider. I would look for the older ones. Look at what just sold, a little over your budget , but this is a lot mando for the money.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Bridge...item1c306edfa3
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.

This is in the classifieds........

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/64145

NFI. It has a few nice upgrades, little playing wear and a trial peroid.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings