Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandolins considered the best of the best...

Default Mandolins considered the best of the best...

What would you include as the cream of the cream of new, non-vintage mandolins? I prefer mandolins traditionally considered bluegrass instruments. I'm trying to educate myself regarding top shelf mandolins. So I don't care if the list is long.

Tom
    Last edited by drbluegrass; Feb-26-2013 at 12:05pm.
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Default Re: Mandolins considered the best of the best...

I would say the Rigel mandolins are seriously underrated because they don't have the Gibson look... They are in a class of their own for tone and versatility.

Blog Entries

What specifically are you looking for? FStyle arch tops, bowlbacks, flat tops/backs, traditional look, new design, cost, tone (for a specific genre)?

To a certain extent, you can base your survey on how much a certain builder's instruments sell for. If they weren't good enough to command the price they wouldn't get it right?

Look at Trevor's website TAMCO. Since he's in the UK, he brings over mostly really good mandolins for sale over there. It's a pain to get them there so he brings over interesting things.

I would tell you to look at Brian Dean's Labraid bowls and Grand Concert, Rolfe Gerhardt's Phoenix mandolins (not just the bluegrass model) in addition to the usual suspects (Dude, Gil, Brentrup, Brock, Lewis, Hamlett, Etc etc etc....) Honestly, there are too many really good builders making consistently solid perfroming mandolins with a variety of great voices to try and peg them all down!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    What specifically are you looking for? FStyle arch tops, bowlbacks, flat tops/backs, traditional look, new design, cost, tone (for a specific genre)?

To a certain extent, you can base your survey on how much a certain builder's instruments sell for. If they weren't good enough to command the price they wouldn't get it right?

Look at Trevor's website TAMCO. Since he's in the UK, he brings over mostly really good mandolins for sale over there. It's a pain to get them there so he brings over interesting things.

I would tell you to look at Brian Dean's Labraid bowls and Grand Concert, Rolfe Gerhardt's Phoenix mandolins (not just the bluegrass model) in addition to the usual suspects (Dude, Gil, Brentrup, Brock, Lewis, Hamlett, Etc etc etc....) Honestly, there are too many really good builders making consistently solid perfroming mandolins with a variety of great voices to try and peg them all down!

Jamie

I guess I was thinking mandolins used primarily in bluegrass music. Sorry, I should have stated that. I edited my first post above to reflect that.

Tom
    Gibson F-5G (Harvey signed, Oct. 14, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I would say the Rigel mandolins are seriously underrated because they don't have the Gibson look... They are in a class of their own for tone and versatility.
    I've played a couple and wasn't impressed. No bark and weak volume. That said, it was in a bluegrass setting, and the guy who owned it bought it for playing gypsy jazz type stuff.

For bluegrass? Top shelf?

A short list might include: Gibson Master Models and selected vintage Gibson F5s (Loars and stuff from around that era) Dudenbostels, Gilchrists, Nuggets, Duffs, Red Diamonds... All of those tend to sell in the $10k range and higher. There are a number I know I missed.

In the $4k-$7k range you might have your Ellis, Brentrups, BRWs, Elkhorns, Collings, and many, many other small shop builders making great mandolins in both A and F styles that are great for bluegrass.

I guess it's also worth noting that when I think about prices, I tend to think of what they tend to priced at in the used market. Spend a few months (or years) casually watching the4 Cafe Classifieds and you'll get a surprisingly good feel for builders and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
    ...I don't care if the list is long...
    That's a good thing.
    There are more high quality makers and brands now than there have ever been, so judging on quality criteria, whichever of those are chosen, would yield a long list. Add to that the inevitable favorites that get listed in this type of thread, rightly or wrongly as being the best quality, and you're looking at a list that gets too long to be of much use.
    The good news is, if you educate yourself about the basics of what features represent quality in a mandolin, find something you like the sound of, exhibits quality features and that you can afford, it is hard to go wrong in today's market.
    Last edited by sunburst; Feb-26-2013 at 12:59pm. Reason: grammar/spelling

I see newer Gibsons still toping the lists as favorite of the pros. I see pros using Bush and Lawson models as well as the Ferns, MM and DMM. Even quite a few F5Gs in the pro circuit being used. From there you go to Gilchrist as being a strong favorite. After that your list gets long like Dudenbostel, Red Diamond, Dearstone, Randy Wood, Hutto,Nugget, Smith Creek, Ellis,Collins,Weber, Duff, etc. For the imports from Asian countries I see Kentucky and Northfield topping the list of the best.

Will Kimble.

I don't think some people are really reading your question. F5Loar set you on the right track.

You can kind of go by price: Gilcrest, Dudenbostel, Gibson are among the top commonly selling for more than 25K. Then comes people like Ellis, Collings, Ratliff etc priced at something over 10K for one of their top model F styles. It seems around here people put themselves in a price range when shopping. Those who go for the top prices are driven by issues other than price in many cases. Are you a professional player? a collector? an investor?
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I played a Gibson F5G over at the Guitar Center and it was great! I'd love a Nuggett, Dudenbostel and Gilchrist. I love my Cohen, who's not usually known in the same category, but makes mandolins that make me happy.

There are hundreds of small-shop builders. Heck, I don't even have to leave Virginia! I got Dave Cohen, Bryce, John Hamlett, Wayne Henderson, and many others building mandolins right here! Lord knows who lurks in the other states!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
    What would you include as the cream of the cream of new, non-vintage mandolins? I prefer mandolins traditionally considered bluegrass instruments.
    Kimble mandolins.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I cannot disagree with any of those names listed above. THe name Michael Heiden can be added. Fine work 10K range and up. John Monteleone can be added as well although his mandolins might be considered more of a Jazz instrument. And a builder not currently in production last I heard would be Oliver Apitius, fine work if you can find one.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Didn't see Mowry listed. His work always looks gorgeous.

And it's Gilchrist, for Heaven's sake...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Now you see, Eddie here is obviously a man of high education and discriminating taste. He definitely has hit upon a truth.

Amen.

Oh yes, and you can get a great one right here and right now.......
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/63930
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

In my humble opinion, Randy Wood..........period. Yes I am biased as that's what I am fortunate enough to play.

Shmergel Devastator!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

Add Daley, Stiver & Wiens to the above lists.
    Wiens, Heiden and Beard are all Canadian builders and are world class.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

19. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

My absolute top two builders out of the whole pile of great builders out there are Kimble and Ellis.
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    I don't think some people are really reading your question. F5Loar set you on the right track.
    That's because the question changed...

22. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Blog Entries

Folks that have them are enthusiastic about Red Diamond.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Wait long enough and we will all add our individual favorite. Mine is Sim Daley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Baldridge View Post
    Wait long enough and we will all add our individual favorite. Mine is Sim Daley.
    Mine is a Stanley.

The best one is the one you can afford.

27. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

mine and Rick Schmidlin's (center) are red diamonds!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad gunslingers.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	98897  

Blog Entries

I think this thread is in danger of doing an enormous dis-service to the dedicated and passionate builders who hang around the Builders and Repair section of this site and hand out FREE advice every time one of you (myself included) has a question about a string buzz or a plethora of other minor and major issues associated with your mandolin. I'm talking about the Hillburns, Coombes, McDonalds, Condinos, Ludwigs, Sorensens, Girouards, Jacobsens, Kellys, Hostetters, Hamletts, Lewis, Navas, and many more who's names escape me at the moment. Not all of the above make bluegrass mandolins but I'd be proud to own any one of their instruments.

My two bobs worth.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pete Jenner For This Useful Post: