Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have two questions about buying a beginner Kentucky Mandolin

Question I have two questions about buying a beginner Kentucky Mandolin

1) Is there a difference in tone between the F hole ad Oval holes?
    2) Is there a difference in tone between an F or A style manolin?
    Also is there an important difference between the setup done at the three major online sellers ...Hut, Store, and Folk?

I think I've narrowed my choices to the A style KM 150 /160 or the F style KM 600. To my untrained ear, they both sound great, much better than a Loar of the same price. Would I be spending the extra $200 on the KM 600 for the appearance of the F or are there other advanges?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Default Re: I have two questions about buying a beginner Kentucky Mandoli

It would be worth getting the 160 over the 150, since I believe the top is pressed on the 150, but hand carved on the 160.

F style is just cosmetic , however the KM600 may be significantly better than the 150 or 160. Oval hole vs f hole is a matter of personal taste, The discription of tonal differances is too complex for me to get into, so I'll just say either one can sound very nice and f holes can tend to seem louder. Anything you've listed could be a decent beginner mandolin if well setup. Setup is the single most important aspect of a mandolin and if you can't do it yourself you need to buy from someone who does. Many used instruments are already.
    Jim Richmond

Thanks you both. I've learned alot from the Cafe forum.

The current KM-150 is a killer sounding mandolin for the price (it is now fully carved). Unfortunately it is a bit rough compared to the older version. If the fret and bridge work has been done, it is a good choice. The KM-600 and KM-650 are of a different family (nothing in common with the other Kentucky F-styles). I would look at the 630 and 675 for an F Kentucky.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The current KM-150 is a killer sounding mandolin for the price (it is now fully carved). Unfortunately it is a bit rough compared to the older version. If the fret and bridge work has been done, it is a good choice. The KM-600 and KM-650 are of a different family (nothing in common with the other Kentucky F-styles). I would look at the 630 and 675 for an F Kentucky.
    My advice is to take Robert's advice.
    He works with and knows all these instruments.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosplash View Post
    1) Is there a difference in tone between the F hole ad Oval holes?
    2) Is there a difference in tone between an F or A style manolin?
    Also is there an important difference between the setup done at the three major online sellers ...Hut, Store, and Folk?...
    1) Yes; f-hole sharper, more percussive attack, quicker decay. Oval-hole less "bark," longer ring and sustain.
    2) Not much; scroll and points are generally solid wood ornamental additions, not too acoustically relevant. (Others differ on this.)

I'd add in some other on-line sellers to your "major" list: Elderly Instruments, Mandolin Brothers, Janet Davis Music, Gianna Violins, and of course the ubiquitous Musician's Friend. The last-named does no set-up at all. A recent thread questioned Mandolin Hut's set-up of one particular instrument. The others all get consistent high marks on the Cafe.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    So what is the difference now between a km150 and a km160?

Destroyer of Mandolins

I would second the advice about taking Robert's advice.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thank you all for your input. I have decided on the Kentucky KM 162. From the mp3 clips online, I think it sounds great. I have one last question.
    There is a KM 162 package that includes a hard case, beginners DVD and book, tuner, a few picks, and Setup for $330 at Mandolin Hut. At Elderly Instruments the mandolin alone costs $285. Geting the package seems like a no-brainer for a beginner, am I missing something?
    Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandosplash View Post
    am I missing something?
    Thanks again!
    Yes - you missed the other T in getting.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

12. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Ummm... km010??
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

OK I'll watch my spelling. Is it inappropriate to ask questions about the quality of service from two different mandolin sellers?. If it is OK then ...Is the Elderly Instrument's setup so much better than Mandolin Hut's that I should pay for all of the "package" materials separately and avoid the Mandolin Hut?

Blog Entries

I own a Kentucky KM-172, a A-style is a great sounding/playing mandolin. Been playing it for 1 1/2 years now and couldn't be happier. It's "voice" is really coming together.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

I bought a km-162 from Ederly in September and couldn't be happier. It's my first mandolin, I've played it everyday since. Not only was they're set up superb, but they they took some serious care in packing and shipping as well. I'm a customer for life. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

In short, everything. These have nothing in common aside from basic specs and the Kentucky name on the headstock. The new KM-150 has better tone than the 160 series. The 160 series has much cleaner workmanship.

KM-150 mandolins made in the past 6 months are hand carved and it shows. The new shop is overseen by the guys making the master models. The key word here is "overseen". You can see a bit of similarity between the KM-150 and the KM-900 (no the KM-150 is not remotely in the same league). The new KM-150 sounds much better than the older versions, but they look rough and there are some fret issues. I assume they will steadily improve the quality. The tone is already there.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

18. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

That's very interesting, thanks Robert. Are there any other models being made in the new shop in that price range?

Nothing yet, but I would be surprised if something else doesn't migrate over in the future.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Thanks Robert.
    Can you say more about fret issues and the rough look of the new km 150?

The old KM-150 was a pressed all solid mandolin. I really liked it and it and aside from a couple of exceptions, it was consistent for many years.

The new version is a rather interesting undertaking. Taking the 150 from a nice pressed instrument (that sounds better than many more expensive carved mandolins), to a fully carved mandolin where they are actually doing a pretty good job of the arching and graduation. Honestly, I wouldn't worry a bit about the fit and finish. It is "good enough".

As for the frets, just talk to the dealer about them.
    The bridge is also a task to fit correctly on these due to the top arching. It is not the end of the world to have a poorly fit bridge, but it would be ideal if it did match the top with the correct lean angle and adjustable range. Again, ask the dealer about this and see if they address it.

There are no perfect mandolins in this price range. The KM-150 is a good compromise and has set a new bar for tone at the price point.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Thank you very much Robert. When did the 150 change?
    If I ask if it is the new 150 is that sufficient?

I don't recall exactly, but I think the new one came out around summer 2012 (I maybe off a few months either way). For a while, both versions were being made. There was a limited run of a third version in 2012 as well. Any high volume dealer should only have the newest version in stock, but I imagine there are still some of the older versions in shops as well. It is quite obvious which is which when you see them in person.

The new one is on the right. Production date 11/12. The one on left is 03/12. Note the darker finish, tuners, larger frets, truss rod cover, body shape, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2447.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	98567
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Hey Mandosplash, after all the good advice and personal service you're getting from Robert, guess where you should buy your Kentucky…?

When someone takes the time to answer a bunch of questions and even send pics for your information, I'd say he deserves your business. Just my opinion, but --
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Hey Mandosplash, after all the good advice and personal service you're getting from Robert, guess where you should buy your Kentucky…?

When someone takes the time to answer a bunch of questions and even send pics for your information, I'd say he deserves your business. Just my opinion, but --
    I agree!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    I agree!
    hello every one,it.s been a long time. about Robert I got my K-805 from him & I just think he is one of the best people to deal with,small shop & personal service & if you think the other shops can give you a better deal I would talk to him about that & see what he can do you never know He may be able to meet them or come close.I will tell you this Robert will never sell you a mandolin he does not like,he would send it back frist.