Thread: Whatever happened to Breedlove?

Default Whatever happened to Breedlove?

For a major US brand there hardly ever seems to be a mention of Breedlove mandolins on the site. I love my 2006 Blonde OF Quartz, but am I the only one who has one? Is everyone else cuddling their Loars, Kentuckys and Eastmans and laughing at me?
    Or are Breedloves just brilliant, never go wrong and so just never need to be spoken about! I like to think so.

Default Re: Whatever happened to Breedlove?

Funny you should bring this up? I recently purchased a Breedlove KO. Now I know they are about as untraditional as it gets, but man, they make one fine mandolin. The materials and the fit and finish are absolutely perfect; I mean it just doesn't get any cleaner? I owned a lot of oval hole mandolins; and this one is as good sounding and well balanced as any of them, old or new? And the more I play it, the better it sounds? Mine also came with a really nice, well-fitted case. Breedlove mandolins seem to be an excellent value in my opinion?
    Thanks for your support?

3. The following members say thank you to northfolk for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

There is a Breedlove social group on this site. I think they get mention ocassionally, but not as much as Eastman/Kentucky/The Loar etc.

I bought an American ff last year, before the new models came out. Love it.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I have owned a few Breedloves in my time, including two different KFs (the first being my first "real" mandolin, replacing the super-cheapie Epiphone I started on), and a gloss sunburst FF that was very tasty indeed. I do think their non-traditional styling does put some people off. As a fan of non-traditional shapes, I think they're great a provide a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm feeling less alone now. Seriously. The Breedlove Quartz/American OF is a great all rounder. I use it for classical and Celtic and it really hits the spot. Good balanced tone. Very good projection. Thank you fellow players.

Carpe Mandolinium

Perhaps the currently in-progress rearrangement of Two Old Hippies, which will make Breedlove and Weber into corporate step-siblings has people waiting to see what happens next.
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

I used to own a FF and now have a FO in natural. Love it for old time and Celtic. I think that Breedloves get dumped on way too often here for their supposed "non traditional" look. Their look (other than the K styles) is a lot closer to "traditional" than the stuff that comes out of some well regarded luthier's shops. I give them credit for being willing to give their instruments a little personality and not just making yet another Gibson clone. They do give great bang for the buck in my humble opinion.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

The import flood gates were opened and have now pretty well torn down the entire dam. The shift in the market has been to progressively lower price points.

So we have two problems. People have a hard time finding any large selection of mandolins to compare in person, so they have to go by specs and images to choose. The Breedlove's can be a little plain and non-traditional and based purely on specs, most of the imports look like better values. Breedlove Owners know that the Breedlove's are great. Most people have never seen one.

I do believe we will see Breedlove start to gain some market share. If they can get a larger number of these out in the market for players to see, the mandolins will sell themselves.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Searching for the Sound

I happened to see a used one (don't recall which) at a local store and was highly impressed by it's playability. As a beginner with little comparative experience and owning an entry level (i.e., lousy) mandolin that is a battle to play, my eyes were certainly opened. Alas, the $1,600 was a bit beyond my means.... but a guy can dream, right?
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

I'm certainly a fan of their playability and quality - that seems universal.
    Sound quality is another issue and varies from one instrument to another.
    I've got an FF that is about as good as it gets in that price range.
    Looking forward to what comes out of the new merged company.
    ----------------------------------------
    2018 Collings MT2
    2014 Collings MT2

I owned a Breedlove Quartz OF for 6 years and I have to say it is a wonderful mandolin. Beautiful tone, good volume, flawless fit and finish. It was a breeze to play. I used it in a Bluegrass band and I always got compliments on its' sound. I do really think that the non-traditional styling makes the real traditionalists not even consider it as a real contender when comparing it to the Eastman's, The Loar's and Kentucky's. But Breedlove makes really fine sounding mandolins. I happen to love non-traditional looks.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Blog Entries

My BL Quartz FF has been my main player since I bought it the first year they introduced this model. I own a Weber BitterRoot and a Weber Bighorn. They are all really outstanding mandolins but each one is different in it's own way. I'm very certain that the two things that keep it from being more appreciated is the non-traditional F strap holder and the slightly more resonant and less dry chop. I can get it to dry chop pretty good but always with a hint of resonance and melodic undertones that makes it so versatile. It also has a clubby neck (thick) and wide nut. Some like it, some don't, some want to be traditional, some want to break from the herd.

Overall, they're very well built fit and finish and sound great. I get complimented on it often.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I think Robert Fear is right. Very decent instruments are available now for considerably lower prices than Breedloves command.

I only ever had one chance to sample a Breedlove, at a store in Scotland. I never learned the model name, but it was sort of like an F with the scroll cut off. It was a fine instrument, but it was priced at 1500 pounds - and there were Eastman mandolins in the store at less than half that price that really didn't sound inferior to the Breedlove. I wasn't in the market at that time, but if I was, I'm afraid the price (and maybe the styling) would have meant my money was going to China.

ron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueron View Post
    ...I'm afraid the price (and maybe the styling) would have meant my money was going to China.

ron
    Good point, Ron. That's what lead me to buy my Breedlove. I wanted to buy American.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    Good point, Ron. That's what lead me to buy my Breedlove. I wanted to buy American.
    I'm Scottish and might be the least patriotic or nationalistic person I know. And the only time I bought what for me was an expensive instrument, I bought American too, my Mix A4, which I love.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
    I'm feeling less alone now. Seriously. The Breedlove Quartz/American OF is a great all rounder. I use it for classical and Celtic and it really hits the spot. Good balanced tone. Very good projection. Thank you fellow players.
    Richard - I just acquired a 2-month old Quartz OF for $750. I agree, it is a great all-arounder. I love the fast neck too.

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post

Me too. Back in 2003 when I bought my Quartz OF, I didn't think that there were any good cheap Asian options. I wanted American and I was lucky - I thought - to find a Breedlove in non-Mando-focused-Sacramento.

I still have my Breedlove these days. By now it has a great tone and plays easy, but the volume is only fair to midlin. Since getting my Mike Black I pretty much only play it when I look at it on the wall there, all lonely looking and dusty.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

I bought a Breedlove American OO a little over a year ago as my first "serious" mandolin. I have acquired other, more expensive mandolins since then, but I keep my Breedlove at work and play it several times a week. Plays well, has great tone, and is a sweet instrument. They remain very good instruments, and American made at a very respectable price point. I think they deserve much more credit than they tend to receive, and those who have them speak very well of them.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis