Thread: New Gibson Fern at SPBGMA

Default New Gibson Fern at SPBGMA

In another area of this forum, I mentioned a new Gibson Fern that was less than a week old and was on display in the Gibson room at SPBGMA last weekend in Nashville. In my opinion in blew away any new mandolin I have ever heard. When I got home I could not get it out of my mind so I called David Harvey at Gibson and found out where it landed. I called the dealer and it will ship to me next week. I think Gibson is at the top of their game under David Harvey.

Default Re: New Gibson Fern at SPBGMA

Congratulations. Please post pictures when you get it and perhaps grace us with a sound file as well.

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Good deal! Ditto what Mike said. That's so cool - that'd be like me seeing some hot wheels at the International Auto show they just had in Michigan here a few weeks back, and being able to find out where one of the cars wound up and buying it!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

Cool story.Hope you enjoy your new mando.

Blog Entries

That's a great story! Congratulations for finding and buying your new Gibson !!

That was good thinking to track the mando you had already tested down! Just out of curiosity how far away did it end up (from your home)? I hope you got a good deal -- the retailer must have been pleasantly surprised.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The mandolin ended up in Missouri and I Live in Alabama

Glad you got a good one and got to try it first, and meet Dave Harvey.

Blog Entries

If it is anything like the one I have, it is one heck of a fine mandolin by any standards. They are certainly the best new Gibson F5's for a very, very long time indeed. Yes, we are waiting for pictures!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I saw a couple photos of that mandolin on Dave Harvey's Facebook page. Since I'm maybe in the market for a good sounding Fern ("maybe" because I say I am and my wife says I'm not), I checked with the dealer where it went. Too late. Congratulations, and definitely post some photos.

Got it today and it is just as great as I thought at SPBGMA. Hope to post a picture tonight. It looks just like all Ferns but wow is the sound special.

By the way the dealer was Morgan Music in Lebanon,Mo and they were just great to deal with. Thanks Alvin.

IMHO- I do believe that the Harvey Era post flood mandolins will soon repace the Derrington Era as far as the best time to buy a Gibson ...they are just coming out too good. Congrats on the new Axe.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)