Thread: Thanks to Andy Statman!

Default Thanks to Andy Statman!

I have to admit, I am deeply facinated by Statman these days! I have listened to a lot of his music, including his last album, which is made out of space! I especially like his expression, and tonal language! From his jazzmando book, which I am half way through, I have learned a lot. Tonight I discovered the I-IV-V substitutions by use of dimished and augumented chords, use of the wholetone and dimmished scales. The book is a treasure in expanding my musical understanding. Just again want to state, Statman is the king!
    Best regards from a norwegian fan!

Default Re: Thanks to Andy Statman!

If you haven't got it already,have a listen to his CD,'Andy's Ramble'.It's full of amazing stuff,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Allready got it. East Flatbush Blues is also amazing. It is really inspiering to listen to all these recordings, so much to learn! Other tips on books, songs and material for expanding you tonal language and understanding theory like substitutions etc?

Andy Statman is indeed a force of nature. His Jazz Mandolin book is just brilliant. The bluegrass lesson at the beginning is mind blowing! If you're not the jazz thing Ted Eschliman's Getting Into Jazz Mandolin is essential stuff.
    GerryHastie

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
    - Albert Schweitzer

Yeah, that my point. The bluegrass part is brilliant, but the rest is also good. He really manage to combine practical playing with theory. Theory like use of the dimished and augumented chords, the fulltonescale are really Nice to implement in my playing. I will really check out Teds book, thanks for the tip Gerry!

Andy also has a major role in the Flecktones Jingle All The Way album. He even arranged several pieces. I like both his mandolin and clarinet playing in Twelve Days Of Christmas. That's an amazing tune, full of instruments - including 2 basses - yet clear as early morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    If you haven't got it already,have a listen to his CD,'Andy's Ramble'.It's full of amazing stuff,
    Ivan
    Fantastic record! So is "Nashville Mornings, NY Nights", another great album that seems to fly a bit under the radar.

Thanks for tips folks! All of these albums are unknown to me! His last album is fantastic, hope to see him live some day! Guess most of you allready heard this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KaXmLpveZQ

Blog Entries

Andy is playing tonight in Berkeley, CA at the Freight and Salvage.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

I saw the Berkeley show. What an amazing demonstration of his musical gifts. He played incredible clarinet for about 40 minutes, then flipped on a dime to mandolin for another hour, then played with David Grisman for another 30 minutes. Then he hung out and visited with anyone who was interested in hanging out. What a great person and musician!!!
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

What a show! I really hope some day I get the chance to see him!

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

I also share in the awe that surrounds Andy Statman. His newest CD is great, "Old Brooklyn." He is a master who can shred and out technique the best, but seemingly he chooses to always put the music first, and the ego last in his art. His tasteful playing and inspired moments of improvisational channeling remind me of Keith Jarrett's piano work. Not in tonality, but in hearing the feeling of inspiration.

I started pickin' with his "Teach yourself BG Mandolin"...it was at the library; a great starting point.